Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gretchins-- really worthwhile?
Old 12 Jan 2009, 10:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to reqeim
Default Gretchins-- really worthwhile?

Gretchins-Yes they do clear minefields and swamp the enemy with numbers, have a better bs and that but are they really worthwhile? I think i might have a squad or two because I have a foot slogger army but they probably wont even kill anything and just get killed them selves. They are low points and maybe ill just use them to fill up a troops option. What do you guys think?

Tyranid Biology the orky way.... "dis Wormy thing wid a lot of teef is a rippa, wat it called tho?"
reqeim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 10:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Gretchins-- really worthwhile?

Grots can serve 2 main roles thanks to their cheapness:

1) Holding an objective: With Orks, you want to get into Choppa-reach of the enemy very soon, but more often than not, there's this mission objective sitting in your deployment zone... and you NEED a troop unit to occupy it. Enter a 40 point Grot unit - they can hold it all day long, especially if in cover - they go to the ground, and just hide. Should be save enough, especially since the enemy will be busy dealing with your Mobs closing in on him (But beware of deepstrikers and outflankers).

2) Meat shield: For larger Grot units, an excellent job. Just span them in front of your Boyz, giving them a 4+ Cover save. Make the Grots big enough, and they can stomach some enemy fire, as well. The opponent has to prioritise - shoot the Grots, and the full Orks hit your lines? Or shoot the Orks, and they get a cover save? Decisions, decisions...
Also, note that fast enemy units have to engage the Grots first, probably killing them all, and then are vulnerable to a counter charge from your lads.

Those are, imo, the two main uses for Grotz. I'm sure you'll find various other creative uses for them (you already mentioned "cleaning minefields" - continue this train of thought, and you'll get some pretty (messy) results) - using the Slavers upgrade weapon, for example, could be nice when fighting Nids - 30 Grots +3 Slavers against a Fex... could be interesting, with the Slavers trying to bludgeon some sense into the Fex using their cattle prods ;D

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 11:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

Yes grots are very usefull.

Holding an objective: keep them in reserve and move onto the objective in the turn they come out of reserve so they get shot even less.

Quote:
Those are, imo, the two main uses for Grotz. I'm sure you'll find various other creative uses for them (you already mentioned "cleaning minefields" - continue this train of thought, and you'll get some pretty (messy) results) - using the Slavers upgrade weapon, for example, could be nice when fighting Nids - 30 Grots +3 Slavers against a Fex... could be interesting, with the Slavers trying to bludgeon some sense into the Fex using their cattle prods ;D
Actualy you send the 30 grots and the 3 slavers into assault with him and the tyrant/dread/avatar who then loses 3 attacks due to the grabba sticks so it has only a few attacks.

They are dirt cheap 40 points for a unit with a runtherd to sit on an objective is as much as a meganob.

Against armies like guard they can actualy do a bit 10 grots and a runtherd is quite scary to a guard command squad.
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 11:41   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to reqeim

well those are all good options to do with those grots: Cover save's for ork boys chargin behind them, objective capturing, decoys, make exellent in the battlefield meals incase the orks get the munchies and can tie up units.

I also wonder what orks would taste like anyway?
-reqeim

Tyranid Biology the orky way.... "dis Wormy thing wid a lot of teef is a rippa, wat it called tho?"
reqeim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 15:13   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Heavy support wounds. I like to use mine attached to my SAG so that when he gets shot i can take the wounds from my grots because they are in the majority.
Zekery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 18:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

just make sure they stay in majority and your opponent doesn't get enough wounds that you have to allocate one to the SAG Bigmek though
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 01:27   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
just make sure they stay in majority and your opponent doesn't get enough wounds that you have to allocate one to the SAG Bigmek though
usually have them in cover so they get the +4 save, try not to have too many against space Marines they drop one pod with a dreadnought because the next turn they can usually assault and i'll want to be able to get him away, with the Runtherder his attacks will be reduced keeping the dreadnought locked up for at least 3 player turns while my SAG keeps shooting.
Zekery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2009, 17:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

My question is about the psychology of them, the runtherder only has a leadership of a ork. Do grots count as ork models; and get the mob rule?
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2009, 17:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

Bo they don't have the mob rule but the runtherds can re-roll morale checks by feeding d3 grots to their squigs.
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 09:11   #10 (permalink)
FarmerGiles

Grots do look fun and I hate usin a 30 man Shoota Boy Unit with Weirdboy just to hold an objective so Grots are so going in my list. Problem is the price. Yes they are in plastic now but its still 7 for 10 + Runtherd. Now 10 grots doesn't really seem like a lot to hope for so you go for the max 30 unit which is 20 from cheaper sources I know. Quite a bit for 90 points, but then I guess the whole army has that problem!