Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Expanding AOBR
Old 12 Jan 2009, 06:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Expanding AOBR

So my bro Wingates_Hellsing is starting an Ork army with the stuff from AOBR and he currently has the orks from two sets, and we may get another. My question is... how would you expand on that? Cause AOBR gives a ton of Deffkoptas and Nobs, while those are nice they have their limits of usefullness without support.

I'm thinking a Battleforce and a box of Boyz and maybe a Nobz box (for the bits mostly) would be a good way to expand the army. So far he also has two extra nobs from the free White Dwarf models that I converted to have Power Claws (looted Marine Power Fists) and I have a ton of IG Flamers laying around so I could probably turn a bunch of plastic boyz into burna boys without much difficulty. Same for Tankbusta's, I've got a good few IG missile launchers laying around without any plans to use em but again that's more elites and I'm thinking more Boyz, lots more boyz would be best.

What do you guys suggest?

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 06:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Expanding AOBR

I think it really depends on what style army he wants to get. So....

KOS (kult of speed): Trukks, battlewagon, something to make a looted wagon (bassie, chimera, rhino, leman russ etc..), convert deffkoptas to buggies/bikes

Dread bash: convert/buy deffdreads, killa kans, kff big mek

Footsloggers: more boyz, kff mek, grots

Hybrid: trukks, stormboyz, lootas

scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 13:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pesonally I think the ork battleforce is a waste of money if you don;t like all the models or plan on using all the models. The nob box is nice for the bitz but not needed if he needs more boyz. The ork boyz box come with 10 boyz and 1 PK or BC Nob. Grots would be nice for a footsloggin list and they now have plastic ones. A KFF bigmek would be worth its weight in teeth if he going the footsloggin route. Basically like Scoutfox asked what kind of army does he want and are their any models that he absolutely loves?
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 13:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I echo the statements of my colleagues - figure out what he exactly wants to play, and then we (or rather, the rest of the people here - I'm new, myself) can give proper advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
Pesonally I think the ork battleforce is a waste of money if you don;t like all the models or plan on using all the models. The nob box is nice for the bitz but not needed if he needs more boyz. The ork boyz box come with 10 boyz and 1 PK or BC Nob. Grots would be nice for a footsloggin list and they now have plastic ones. A KFF bigmek would be worth its weight in teeth if he going the footsloggin route. Basically like Scoutfox asked what kind of army does he want and are their any models that he absolutely loves?
I completely agree. The Battleforce really is a mixed blessing. Just three Bikers are not enough to get anything done, and you only get 1 Trukk for 20 Boys, so you can't go KOS or Footslogging. You need to buy additional stuff, and some of the stuff you have is going to end up unused.

As regards the Nobs box - you don't need it, right. But you WANT it. They look awesome, and I'm in the process of painting them up - 1 as a Nob for my Sluggas, the rest as Big-Choppa swinging Elites choice. They're well worth the money if you want to beef up the optic side of your Orks.

As regards the KFF-Mek: IMO, it is even MORE useful to to mechanized list. I'm running one of them, and the 4+ cover save can (in theory) be very useful for a mechnised assault (1 BW and 2 Trukks, all loaded with Ladz... under a KFF! Can you say WAAAGH!?)

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 13:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Killa Kanz Killa Kanz killa Kanz ..............

If you are a Power Gamer (and I know that you're not) then ..........

Lootas Lootas Lootas ...................

Old 14 Jan 2009, 04:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

Thanks for the advice so far, and to answer your question:

I'm looking to do a similar thing here as I did with my Eldar, which is to:

A) Start with a balanced (aka Hybrid) list. I definately want variety here.
B) Eventually acuire 'Extra' units, and maintain several varied lists, with a little bit of everything.

Models I like:
-Bikes
-Kommandos
-Burna boyz
-War Trukks
-and the converted Nob wiff beech smacka fist ;D (Power fist with axe blades facing the proper direction given it's name... backhanded!)

Oh, and the Stompa... but really, who doesn't?
Old 14 Jan 2009, 17:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
I completely agree. The Battleforce really is a mixed blessing. Just three Bikers are not enough to get anything done, and you only get 1 Trukk for 20 Boys, so you can't go KOS or Footslogging. You need to buy additional stuff, and some of the stuff you have is going to end up unused.
It's a decent value for what you get. Maybe not on it's own for going all ground pounders or all KOS but it's a nice way to expand an army.

You get some boyz, some nobz, and a trukk if da boss gets sick of walkin.

Oh yea and deffinitely getting a Stompa if for no other reason than it's... well a Stompa. Eventually the number of Orks will justify it.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote