Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bosspoles?
View Poll Results: Do you need bosspoles in an Ork army?
Not at all 3 10.71%
Not really 0 0%
Kinda 1 3.57%
Yes 9 32.14%
Yes Definetly 15 53.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Jan 2009, 00:13   #1 (permalink)
Chork Naghriz

Default Bosspoles?

I play Orks but don't use bosspoles, but people say I need them.
So I want to know what you guys think.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 00:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Bosspoles?

You know my opinion on this. Remember if you lose 25% in any phase (except assualt since only the loser has to)its a moral check. Sure you might not need to use it every time but the times where you do you will be wishing you spent the 5points on one. Now not only do you need a Bosspole but you should really have a Nob with a PK. They cannot be singled out and essentially they can have 29 extra wounds (the boyz that are with him). A nob with a PK is what allows your boyz to handle any things and the extra 5pts for the ability to re roll a failed moral check is points well spent. The only time I would consider forging a Nob with a PK/Bp if your Boss is attached to them and he has them.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 02:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I honestly think they should increase the upgrade to a nob to 15 points and just make it standard equipment. I would never, ever have a nob without a bosspole.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 12:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

As has been said, bosspoles are a must, I never leave home without them. You can't go wrong spending 5pts to re-roll failed morale checks.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 13:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
You know my opinion on this. Remember if you lose 25% in any phase (except assualt since only the loser has to)its a moral check.
Actually, its only shooting phases. I know, the difference is academic, but it is possible to suffer 25% losses in movement (i.e. Jump Packers starting and landing in dangerous terrain), as well, and you don't have to take a test then.

Chork Naghriz, at first glance, Boss Poles seem to be unnecessary because of the Mob-rule, which makes Orks effectively fearless. But don't forget that you WILL suffer casualties, and once a 20 or 30 strong Mob is down to a size that they have to take morale checks, they are also below 50%, which means that once they decide to run, they run for good - and I'd rather take an additional wound than let them flee "da battle".

Furthermore, don't forget that you have a lot of small units - Nobz, Meganobz, Burnas, Lootas, and so on all profit from Bosspoles (though in the case of MANz, Burnas and Lootas it is an IC (Big Mek or Warboss) that supports them with a Bosspole). They are not fearless to start with, have a mediocre leadership, are usually very expensive and crucial to "da plan" (whatever that may be).

And, last but not least, Ork Mobs in Trukks are dangerously close to morale checks, as well - a single unfavorable destroyed or wrecked result can easily wipe out a third of da Ladz in such a Mob (even with the ramshackle-table), which means an automatic test - and the whole ramshackle-thing is completely useless if the "ramshackled" Mob ends up pinned or running away.

So, in my opinion, every unit that can have a Bosspole should HAVE a Bosspole.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 13:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Refer to page 44 under paragraph A. It is any phase and you can suffer 25% casualties in the movement phase. Ways you can include moving through dangerous terrian, having your opponents Deffrolla run your troops over, walking through a mine field and I'm sure their are others. In all of these plus your jump unit example you do have to take a test if you suffer 25% casualties.

PS BOSSPOLES are a must and Nob with PK are highly recommended
Old 12 Jan 2009, 13:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
Refer to page 44 under paragraph A. It is any phase and you can suffer 25% casualties in the movement phase.
Strange, my Rulebook eplicitely says "shooting phase". Alright, it doesn't say "shooting phase", it says "Schussphase", because its in German, but the point stands.

Apparently, that's a case of "bad translation". I suppose the english rules text is the authentive one, so I willingly concede this point.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2009, 13:37   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Been playing Nobz so I seldom (actually, never when I think about it) use it since I just have 2 Nob Mobz with Warboss attached to them. Ld 9 is a wonderful thing But for a few points, it's a must have
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2009, 00:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Zenai I see that your Deffwing army list in the Army List area of our boards does have bosspoles on those two Ork warboss that are leading your Nobs. Even though you may not use it much you value them for what they offer.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 01:12   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Didn't I say that? Yeah, I meant those few times I took Ld test, I was able to to roll 9 and under. I didn't get a chance to use my Bosspole yet but I know it's important.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote