Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Going to Begin Orks. But is it the right choice?
Closed Thread
Old 11 Jan 2009, 21:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Going to Begin Orks. But is it the right choice?

Okay. I have not got the codex (I will soon though).

I want to begin an Ork army on the basis that the models are sweet. Conversion opportunity is everywhere and I like their fluff and personality as an army.

Now. Are Orks the right choice for me though?

The first big problem I have is storage. Right now (until my Chaos is finished and packed away) I don't have much space.
My second is funds (although this problem will be solved in due time).

My army ideas are.

Pure Shooty with lots of Boys
Full Mech with as much dakka on my tanks as possible
Deff Wing. I know this has been done but I love the bike models.

Either way, I want ALOT of dakka dakka in my lists. Trying not to rely on combat too much. (as a change from my last list)

But is their an army (other than IG or Tau) you would recommend for my needs.

-Conversion
-Lots of Shooting
-Great Models
-Fun

Or is Orks the choice I'm after?
Old 11 Jan 2009, 21:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Going to Begin Orks. But is it the right choice?

I think for fun and conversion values, the orks are just a big pile of win, they're basically awesome and the new models are great.

I'd say IG are probably the 2nd in terms of conversion oportunities, but since you already play them, go for the orks
Old 11 Jan 2009, 22:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Heya,

It's great to see such a vast inflation of the amount of Ork players that are converting from various armies to the one that really counts.

First off, Ravensquig are the petroleum-addicts that rove the battlefield on bikes. Deffwing is the Orks who have a lust for big, stompy things and, thus, encase themselves in Mega Armor.

Well, GoreChild, you seem to contradict yourself sometimes. First of all, you say that storage space is hard to come by but then you come right back as state that you are considering a shooty army with huge swaths of Boyz. Next, you say that you are interested in Ravensquig but also say that you have a slight restriction on money. This is important because the two primary methods of constructing a Ravensquig army is to go with the Games Workshop Bikers or the Forge World Nob Bikers, both of with are none to kind on the pocketbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreChild
The first big problem I have is storage. Right now (until my Chaos is finished and packed away) I don't have much space.
The obvious choice for this is either Deffwing or Ravensquig, seeing as they both have extremely low model counts. You probably want to stay away from Swamp and Footslogging oriented armies, as they tend to take up copious amounts of room.

Quote:
My second is funds (although this problem will be solved in due time).
This somewhat takes outs most of the specialized and alternative FOC choices. All of the FOC changing armies (Deffwing, Ravensquig, Dread Bash) are all extremely costly. If this proceeds your first statement in importance, then I'd suggest going with a Trukk Boyz oriented Kult of Speed. Both Trukks and Boyz are fairly cheap and easy to come by.

Quote:
Now. Are Orks the right choice for me though?
Ahh, the mother of all questions. Seeing that there are very variations of the FOC that you can choose to include in your list, I'd say yes. This is because there is, literally, something for everyone. There is fast (Kult of Speed, Ravensquig), there are hard (Deffwing), there are walker-themed lists (Dread Bash), and there are regular, footslogging lists. There are also many conversion opportunities that are available to Orks, from regular Boyz to Land Raider Battle Wagons.

However, it is nigh impossible not to rely on Close Combat. Orks have a God-awful BS and don't have many weapons that can dent the upper-echelon tanks such as Land Raiders and Leman Russes. Power Klaws are the generally accepted method of eliminating such threats, and although there are alternative methods, this is the primary one used by Ork players. There is not a tank in the game that can stand up to a 7 man Nob squad with 3-4 Power Klaws.

Well, your basis' are all covered. Models? Check. Conversion? Check. Fluff? Check. Personality? Check. The best piece of advice I can give you is once you get the Codex, get the feel for them, and their methods. Then make your decision.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 23:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

My Storage and money Issues are only temporary. So for the time being Ignore that... it's just what to start with.

And Yes Ravensquig is what I meant :P.

I really want an All Dakka Army just for the fun of it. But Raven Squig might be the way I go with a couple of big vechiles to bash in there. Cheers.

Old 11 Jan 2009, 23:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There are two methods to creating a Ravensquig list. The first includes the usage of Wazdakka, who, in turn, allows you to take any number of Biker squads as a Troop choice. The second involves two Warbosses, both on bikes, who allow you to take one squad each of Nobs as Troop selections. Equip these two squads with Bikes and you're golden.

Which ones sounds more appealing to you?
Old 12 Jan 2009, 01:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Mix of... Just wrote up a list. I'm gonna lock this for now. Figured out what I'm going to do.