Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

KOS: I'm an idiot?
Old 08 Jan 2009, 22:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default KOS: I'm an idiot?

So I'm thinking of starting a small Ork force, and of course I've trolled this section of the forums and picked up the codex to do some research. One thing has glared out that is bugging me, and it's about the Kult of Speed. I see it referenced often in the discussions here, but are there any specific rules about this? I couldn't find anything in the codex, but vaguely remembered there used to be something about them in the 3rd edition one. Is this merely a reference to an all-mounted/stormboyz army, or are there bonuses rules-wise to them as well? My example would be how in the old Chaos codex, my Wordeaters army had a lot of rules to follow to get the bonus of being a 'legit' Wordeaters force, but now to make one just mark all your marines with MoK and call it what you want, with no plus or minus to you. Is that how the newer, streamlined system works with KoS too?
Springfield Fatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2009, 23:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to The_One
Default Re: KOS: I'm an idiot?

Yeah there are a lot of references on here to KoS but (as you stated) the Kult of Speed is just an all mounted/Stormboy army with multiple examples of Warbosses and fielding types (that I can think of):

1; Warboss attached to Boyz/Nobz in a Trukk
2; MAW attached to MANZ in a Battlewagon
3; Biker Boss attached to other bikes

Most frequent (that i've seen in 2k lists) is 6 units of Boyz in Trukks. Warboss and Nobz in Battlewagon and supported by Buggies, Koptas, Stormboyz and gun batteries (most common being Kannons though I prefer Zzap for a bit of extra anti-tank power).

There are a lot of ways to field a KoS. Mostly if you posted a list (or what you wanted in a list) we could very likely help you out ;D
The_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 00:24   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

My Nobz Article has clearly state that Nobz are meant to Mechanized. It's a sort of KoS + Nobz thing. Come have a look!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=76735.0
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 04:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes Kult of Speed use to have some 3rd / 4th edition rules/mini codex regretfully you can no longer use it. You simple now have to go with the Ork codex as is and just keep it themed around Kult of Speed.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 12:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Which is also pretty easy! Using bikes and buggies and trukks you'll get a nice and fast and really hard hitting force. Its true, there wont be as many boys, but there is no need for so many boys if you got oh so many big shootas on the vehicles, and the orks hit so much faster. Orks will still quite easily rack up some 20-30 attacks when they hit, and they will easily whack most other armies when they get grips on them. Even though you rarely field a horde with KOS orks.
Old 09 Jan 2009, 12:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've been playing around with a 1k Death Skull army that is 95% mobile and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The 8 burna boyz and my Bigmek (with a burna) in their looted wagon is absolutely devastating. They took on a 30 ork slugga boy squad and scored 47 hits in the shooting phase which ended up killing 21 Orks. I then charged in and killed the other 9 with only losing 1 burna boy.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2009, 19:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the input lads. The force I'm looking at is between 500 and 750pnts, and I'm still feeling out what to go with. I still just love the idea of a dead swampy massed-boyz army. Considering I'm used to playing 1500 point games with 40 infantry total, it would be a nice change of pace.
Springfield Fatts is offline   Reply With Quote