Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Nobz Mobz' Bitz 'n' Bobz?
Old 05 Jan 2009, 17:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Nobz Mobz' Bitz 'n' Bobz?

Hey all.

I'm still in the planning stages of my upcoming Ork army. I'm going to include Nobz mobz in my army, but am having a great deal of difficulty arming them on paper before I glue them up, and was wondering if people could give me a hand (especially seeing as I've not been able to find any kind of dedicated Nob Tactica around here).

Currently, this is what I've got planned:

3 Nobs
3 Nobs w/Big Choppas, Eavy Armour
1 Nob w/Power Klaw, Eavy Armour
1 Nob w/Power Klaw, Eavy Armour, Bosspole
1 Nob w/Power Klaw, Eavy Armour, Waaagh Banner
1 Painboy w/Grot Orderly, Eavy Armour
Total: 380

They'll ride in:

Transport: Battlewagon w/Deff Rolla, Red Paint Job, Grot Riggers, Stikkbomb Chukka, Armour Plates, Kannon, Big Shoota
Total: 150

And likely led by:

Warboss w/Power Klaw, Attack Squig, Eavy Armour
Total: 105

So, we're talking about a unit with a combined cost of 635 points, which is well over a third of the army (usual games around here run 1500 points), which is not a risk I'm used to taking; I normally use much smaller units (points wise) in my armies, but this is the first time I've tried out Orks.

Have I gone overboard with upgrades? Is there anything I can do to reduce the cost whilst still keeping a load of killyness?

Just to let people know, I won't reduce the numbers in the mob - to me, Orks mean large numbers so any Nob mob I run will be ten-strong. I likely won't be taking anything off of the Battlewagon nor the Warboss unless someone comes up with a convincing argument against it.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2009, 17:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Nobz Mobz' Bitz 'n' Bobz?

I personally think the Nobz loadout is overkill. You have 3 Nobz with PKs who will be accompanied by a Warboss with a PK, for a total of 4 PKs. What do you plan to throw these guys at that you need 4 PKs in there, I mean, that's 100pts right there. If it were me, I'd get myself down to 2 PKs total, be it 2 Nobz or a Nob and Warboss. I'd probably also reduce my big choppas to 2 of them but 3 isn't bad. I fully understand the desire to utterly destroy stuff, and what you have will do just that, but as you said it comes at a hefty cost.

For the BW, I'd ditch the stikkbomb chukka. Unless you're fighting other Orks, IG, or Tau a lot, it doesn't have much use. In an all comers list I'd remove it but if you fight someone where it is worth having then by all means take it. I'd also remove the kannon unless you intend the BW to have some time to sit around and make use of it. If you're just using the BW to dump off the Nobz then save the points.
Old 06 Jan 2009, 00:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

115 - Warboss "MAW-B" - Mega Armour, Cybork Body and a BP

250 -Nobs x 8: All with Eavy Armour:
[i]Nob#1 - Painboy
Nob#2 - Waagh Banner
Nob#3 - PK
Nob#4 - Big Choppa
Nob#5 - Nothing
Nob#6 - Nothing
Nob#7 - Nothing

125 - Battlewagon: Deffrolla, Bigshoota, Armour Plates.

Total Cost: 500pts

Ok lets start with the Nobz: The three palin ones are for alocating wounds towards. The Painboy is for FNP and should be protected at all cost. The PK for some extra punch and the Big Choppa for a some low cost hitting power. The Waaagh Banner well increase their WS which is very nice.

The Warboss has been upgraded to have Mega Armour which now makes him near indestructable when combined with the Painboy...just avoid other power weilding fiends.

The Battle has exactly what is useful. The stikkbombz where summed up by THOR. The Grot rigger might sound nice at first glance but is a waste since you have to wait till your shooting phase for a 50% chance of getting it going. This means the wagon is station for an entire turn. No need for the kannon like THor siad so its gone and the RPJ is fluffy but not all that useful (plan your moves and you will be fine. Very rarely do you end up 1-2 short for an assualt. The vehicle move 12, Nobz disembark for 2.9", run for 1-6" and assualt for 6". Grand total movement: 21.9 to 26.9; that is plenty.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2009, 01:46   #4 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Warboss
- Power Klaw
- 'Eavy Armor
- Attack Squig
- Cybork Body
- Bosspole

Nobz
2 Nobz equipped with Power Klaw, Slugga, 'Eavy Armor and Cybork Body
1 Nobz equipped with Big Choppa, Slugga, Waaagh! Banner, 'Eavy Armor and Cybork Body
5 Nobz equipped with Big Choppa, Slugga, 'Eavy Armor and Cybork Body
1 Painboy equppied with Dok's Tools, 'Urty Syringe and Cybork Body, and accompanied by a Grot Orderly

Try this setting. 2 PKs to backup for Warboss's PK Attacks just in case you got some bad rolls on him. And I find Big Choppaz to be totally worth it as I wound most Infantry units on a 2+ and I can Instant-Gib a GEQ-IC although it cost me 5 points per piece and an extra attack. Cybork Bodies; sometimes you can to infuriate your opponent by taking this upgrade so your Nobz has a better chance of surviving a power weapon attack.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2009, 02:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

400pts just for the Nobz is ridiculous. Completely excessive if not pure Gluttonous. Overall OP try to keep the cost down cause with Ork the real work horse is a simple squad of Boyz with one Nob.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2009, 02:15   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
400pts just for the Nobz is ridiculous. Completely excessive if not pure Gluttonous. Overall OP try to keep the cost down cause with Ork the real work horse is a simple squad of Boyz with one Nob.
That's one way to play Orks. My way is pure (or mostly) Nobz.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote