Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dealing With Necrons
Old 27 Dec 2008, 05:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Dealing With Necrons

I faced Necrons today, and had a lot of trouble against them. Tactically my list performed perfectly. I had a mob of 19 boyz, with an attached warboss drive across the field in a battlewagon, they assaulted a squad without beign wounded. I downed the whoel squad, but a few stood up, then they teleported out of the 'lith bringing back all but 2. Now my orks were left sitting in the open. I assaulted the crons over and ovr again for the whole game, onyl ever killing 1-2, but losing my boyz in droves.

How do I deal with thsi tactic, it seems unstoppable ='(
Old 27 Dec 2008, 06:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Dealing With Necrons

First, make sure he is playing by the rules. He cannot get a roll to stand up if the closest same type of model is not within 6". Secondly, he cannot roll to get up from power klaws unless he has a lord with a resurrection orb within 6". Monoliths do not override either of these rules. So if you wipe out a unit, and his next unit is more than 6" away, they all die for good, no re rolls, no monolith. The monolith also does not bring them back automatically, they only get a re-roll.

If he is using a lord with a resurrection orb, kill him, or make him teleport more than 6" away from a warrior squad, then kill the warriors.

Next, we (necrons) are not fearless. Any assault you win will most likely have us falling back. We do not regroup like marines, so keep hitting us till we run, then follow close behind and watch as like dominoes we first fall back off the board, followed by phasing out.

Hit a 'lith with a wierdboys Zzap power to blow it up quick, or use a warboss with power klaw backed up with boyz/nobs with pk's. All those hits may only pen on a '6', but the sheer volume will have a good chance of killing it. (remember, furious charge is not stopped by the monoliths living metal)

Also, if you immobilise the monolith, block the area around it's portal. Then he cannot teleport. (it uses the rules for disembarking) That saves you one roll.

The monolith can only be used on one squad per turn. Try getting into melee with multiple squads, and then he has to choose what he saves and what he lets die.

All in all, it sounds like he either had amazing luck (making all those monolith rolls,) or he was not playing by the rules. Your tactic is generally the right one, and in most cases is the correct way for orks to slaughter some living metal.

Hope these helped.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2008, 04:11   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The best way to beat a Necron player with lucky WBB rolls is to deny him getting WBBs at all. A Sweeping Advance completely destroys the unit, allows for no WBBs whatsoever, and can permanently put down attached Lords. Your goal is to win combat by eight, knocking the 'crons leadership to two. Knowing this the rest is just Mathhammer and positioning.

Your Boss and a PK Nob with the boyz will knock down 4.44 'crons on average (if the Boss doesn't have a pet squig). Slugga boyz will do one T4 wound each on the charge, and will only lose one boy for every 5 'crons that "live" to strike back. When you're disembarking the boyz from the Battlewagon string them out so that not all of them get to strike. Since you get to move the models, you want to ensure that only as many boyz as you want are going to get their attacks. The other important thing to do is disembark your Boss 2" away from the Boyz. This makes him a separate unit when he charges which will make him vulnerable after the assault, but also allow you to roll a separate Sweeping Advance with his I4.

This is never a guarenteed strategy. No matter the modifier the 'crons will stay if they roll Insane Heroism, and your Boss will only actually catch them 83% of the time (although you do also get to roll for the boyz, bumping your odds up by 10%). Still, your 19 Boyz plus the Boss could very well charge and cut down a full 20 Warrior squad who are worth 100 points more than da ladz (discounting the Battlewagon).

The charging boyz get 76 attacks, 38 hits, 19 wounds, 6 bots take a dirt nap. 14 Necrons get 7 hits, 3.5 wounds, 3 orks eat it. PKs deal 4.44, and the boyz win by 7. You have about an 85% chance for the 'crons to run and subsequently be cut down.
Wiegraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2008, 04:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sweeping Advances destroy the unit? I ran down his units multiple times, but he said they came back normally, since they were in range of the orb.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 06:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The orb doesn't change that. He was not playing by the rules. Point it out next time so that he knows. Necron rules can be confusing, even for the necron players.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote