Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Orky Unit Markings
Old 26 Dec 2008, 19:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Orky Unit Markings

Hi there, TO!

I'm in the process of painting my Orks (they're actually looking... green! And yellow, with all the Bad Moon-style), and I've stumbled over a kinda important question: How do I tell my squads of yellow-green Orks apart on the battlefield? How do I know which mob goes into which Trukk? I was thinking about tattoing them (or at least applying generous amounts of warpaint), but I'm not sure if I could get the tattoos properly done (read: distinguishable from each other), and I'm basically asking for other methods.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: I was thinking about putting this into "painting", but its also partly a fluff-question, and concerns only Orks Boys, so I figured it would be best to post it here.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2008, 19:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Orky Unit Markings

Ta da!
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2008, 19:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, I know about the glyphs (actually have the Gorkamorka books), but, well... they look kinda hard to transfer in miniature-sized tattoos, right?
Old 27 Dec 2008, 06:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

What I've done is paint the back of my bases with a designation for each unit. Just simple stuff like 3 red dags on the back of the base, 2 yellow ones, etc. By doing it on the back of the base it's easy for you to tell at a glance and not so much for your opponent
Old 28 Dec 2008, 04:33   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You can make squads easily identifiable with some modeling conversions as well as painting. You could give trophies to one squad (Beakie or Panzee 'eads, stolen 'gear or guns), or extra choppas/shootas/sluggas. They are supposed to be rich, they could certainly have a bit of extra wargear.

On the painting side of things you can do glyphs, warpaint, or tattoos. You'd have to have a pretty steady hand to paint tattoos on, so you might have to use transfers. Warpaint isn't nearly so difficult, however. The Bad Moons have a pretty easy symbol to paint, and even a clumsy crescent shape will suffice. You could put it on shoulder pads, guns, choppas, helmets and back armour.

A really simple solution is to paint the rim of the base for each squad differently. It makes it immediately clear who's in which squad and you can apply the same color trim to transports. It doesn't effect the actual model, but it's a good solution to make game-play easier.
Wiegraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2008, 11:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for all the good advice; I guess I'll stick with marking my bases at the back, as Thor suggested, and maybe make a couple of unit-specific conversions... should be easy to do.

I'll post first pics when the minis are done; the first wave of Boyz should be done today!

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 28 Dec 2008, 15:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sorry, I didn't read the question entirely.

What I would do is a heavy dry brush in a vertical bar running down their faces. Its easy and effective both when telling your squads a part and, depending on your clan, fluffy.
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote