Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Taking down the nightbringer.
Old 26 Dec 2008, 17:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Taking down the nightbringer.

Just wondering what tacticz you Warbosses use when facing this c,tan badboy. I know there are rumours abound that in the new Necron Codex he is supposed to be bowing out and becoming an Apoc unit.

However until then how do you take him down. I know the easiest way to deal with him is to just avoid him but my mate usually uses him in his cheesy list and as I am kinda new to Orks I would love some advice on how to wipe the smile of my mates face >. I dont wanna run away I wanna kill im.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you?re a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But, two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
Joey Goldcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2008, 18:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Taking down the nightbringer.

Nightbringer eh? Its a tough unit to kill, especially with Orks, considering that we aren't all that accurate and don't have too many weapons that can scratch this beast. There are two plausible method to, not exactly kill him, but to, lets say, hinder him.
[list type=decimal][*]Warboss
  • Power Klaw
  • Attack Squig
  • 30 Gretchin
    • 3 Runtherd

This methodology involves taking one Power Klaw equipped Warboss and slapping him in with a group of thirty Grots. Now of course this isn't a fluffy method, seeing as no self respecting Boss would ever even converse with a Grot, but if your opponent is being as cheesy as you say, they fight cheese with cheese. Get this mob into combat with that C'Tan, allocate all the wounds that he deals onto the Gretchin and the Runtherds, and slowly use the Power Klaw equipped Warboss to whittle down the Nightbringers would count. I couldn't find anything in the rule book to dispute the legitimacy of this rule, but if there is one, please, someone point it out to me.

• 30 Gretchin
    • 3 Runtherds

30 Gretchin
    • 3 Runtherds

This is another method that involves the might (or lack there of) of the swarms of Gretchin that accompany Orks into battle. Use two maxed out squads of these buggars to entrench the Nightbringer in Close Combat and then keep him there. Once your first squad of Grots wears out, send in the second wave! This will make the Nightbringer, who consummates a large contingency of any Necron army, focus his considerable powers on simple cannon fodder!

There are other methods out there for you to choose from. Just pick the one that is the most cost effective and which ever one works best with the other parts of your army. I hope I helped you a little bit.

Cheers,[/list]
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2008, 18:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

both options sound good, really good. the look on my mates face should be priceless if i decide to go down either one of those routes.

i think to begin with i like the sound of option 1. much quicker to build and paint to start with. may need to buy an extra case too lol.

thanks for your speedy reply.
The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you?re a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But, two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
Old 26 Dec 2008, 18:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The problem with scenario 1 is that an Independent Character, like a Warboss, counts as a separate unit in close combat and can therefore be targeted separately. All the Necron player would need to do at that point would be to focus his attacks on the Warboss until he were dead and you will not be able to allocate the wounds to the Gretchen.

The problem with scenario 2 is that with his Etheric Tempest ability, he can just sweep your Gretchen away so he will be free in his next movement phase to attack whomsoever he desires.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2008, 18:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
The problem with scenario 1 is that an Independent Character, like a Warboss, counts as a separate unit in close combat and can therefore be targeted separately. All the Necron player would need to do at that point would be to focus his attacks on the Warboss until he were dead and you will not be able to allocate the wounds to the Gretchen.

The problem with scenario 2 is that with his Etheric Tempest ability, he can just sweep your Gretchen away so he will be free in his next movement phase to attack whomsoever he desires.
Any ideas then ?
Old 26 Dec 2008, 18:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Stick with the Grotz. The Runtherds can take their weapon upgrades, and wound the Nightbringer on 4+ - 3x Runtherds equal to 9 attacks. They'll whittle the NB down.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2008, 22:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You could always go down the route of Zogwort. The look on an enemies face would be priceless when you transform his once all-powerful C'Tan into a salivating Squig!
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2008, 23:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Okay, let's look at this objectively.

On the defence, the Nightbringer is a tough nut to crack. With a Toughness of 8, only weapons with a Strength of 5 or greater have any chance of hurting him. This means that your basic Ork, even on the charge, will be useless, other than as ablative wounds. With a 4+ Invulnerable save and 5 Wounds, you also need quantity rather than quality with respect to dealing damage to it. In addition to this, attempting to swarm it with low quality troops is nigh impossible due to its Etheric Tempest ability to blow units away from it. Attempting to assault it with a low number of elite troops may not work either, due to its Manifestation rule.

On the offence, the Nightbringer is an extremely nasty enemy to face. He ignores all armour and invulnerable saves, making the usual ideas of Cybork Bodies, MegaArmour, Feel No Pain and such useless (though they will still have a use against the majority of the rest of the Necron army). With 5 Strength 10 attacks, he will decimate anything he goes up against (including the ability to Instant Kill any Ork except Ghazghkull). Also, if faced with a great quantity of enemies, he can choose to drop a Large Blast template on top of himself in the assault phase affecting all enemies under it.

So, what can be done about this beast?

His main weakness is that he can only move 6" a turn, though this has been remedied somewhat with the 5th edition Running rules. Nonetheless, whilst he does have a potent shooting attack, he does far more damage in melee than at range, so a smart player will Run him up the table.

Assaulting him with almost anything in the Ork Codex, short of a ten strong Nob squad with several Power Klaws, is practically suicide. Any attempt at a tarpit (such as Gretchen) will just get swept away by Etheric Tempest. Attempting to use a large Slugga Boy squad with hidden Power Klaw will get devastated by Gaze of Death. Deff Dreads and Killa Kans will get ripped to shreds as he is a Strength 10 Monstrous Creature. Melee is NOT the way to go about this.

At first glance, I would suggest a large squad, or number of squads, of Lootas. Their Deffguns have the Strength to have a moderate chance of wounding the Nightbringer and they have the potential to throw out the rate of fire needed to get past that save of his. Statistically, however, you will need 90 shots from Deffguns, on average, to kill the Nightbringer, which is quite a task. Therefore, you would probably need to take two or even three maximum sized squads to pull this off.

Tankbustas would be a fairly acceptable alternative, but be wary of their Glory Hogs rule; if he fields any number of Monoliths then they will not be able to contribute towards offing the Nightbringer. They'd also do well against Necron Warriors so may well be a very smart choice.

Another idea of note would be to use multiple Battlewagons with Deff Rollas to force him to take the damage. Whilst he would likely be able to destroy the Battlewagon with Death or Glory (2d6+10 penetration), that would force him to take 2d6 hits which would wound him on a 2+ per Battlewagon.

Finally, as mentioned by °Rastafari Is!, Nightbringer actually IS an Independent Character, thus making him vulnerable to Old Zogwort's Curse, giving you an alternative manner of disposing of him.

In truth, destroying the Nightbringer will take a significant portion of your army to accomplish, which would likely be put to better use attempting to Phase Out the Necrons (the traditional strategy used against C'Tan).
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2008, 03:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

MT said all of the best ideas, so I'll list a few others.

You can look to the other shooty units to give the nightbringer a beating. Kannons, Zzap gunz, or a big mek with a SAG all have a good chance of inflicting some wounds (of these, my money is on the kannons, 4+ to wound each time, whereas the others need to roll Strength, and could be too low to wound.

And while it is an expensive sacrifice, a large unit of nobs with pk's and big choppas can tie him up for a few turns and put some wounds on him in the process, thus allowing your other boyz to get past him and engage the rest of the necrons, causing phaseout.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2008, 16:54   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

what about taking Grotsnik and giving those gretchin an invulnerable save? 295 point squad 30 gretchin and 3 runtherders expensive but it will bog him down.
Zekery is offline   Reply With Quote