Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Terms: The Foot-Slogger`s Kryptonite?
Old 24 Dec 2008, 06:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Chaos Terms: The Foot-Slogger`s Kryptonite?

Hi All,
Sorry to bother you all about this particular topic, but I had the misfortune of running into a rather nasty Khornite based CSM army (which will be turning into a battle report, if only because I survived it!)
I could deal with the Demonic Prince, the Land Raider, the Berzerkers...
But the only unit that gave me the willies, and rightly so was the unit of Chaos Terms with Twin Lightning Claws. For some reason I didn't really focus on them for a bit and Holy Crap, when they hit my lines, I thought my mob had just caught fire or something. Losing half a mob of 20 in a single combat round is no laughing matter! I'm still trying to think of some way to counter them... I had gotten lucky and clipped them with an SAG or I dare say my green buttocks would be out to dry.
I would appreciate any help in dealing with these blenders of Khorne!

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2008, 08:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Chaos Terms: The Foot-Slogger`s Kryptonite?

As crazy as it may sound, shootas have seen me past assault terms. A full size squad of boyz will lay down 20 hits on average, more with big shootas in the squad as well. You can do this from over 12", and then he can not assault that turn. (they can run, but they are not fleet, so they cannot assault.) All those shots will more than likely cause him to fail some saves. As he cannot assault you, and shootas are assault weapons, shoot him again, and if you have killed enough, assault him to deny the charge.

The other solution I see: If he has no powerfists, charge him with a Dread or Kans and watch as he cannot hurt you at all.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2008, 20:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

BrownKnight:
Shootas... now there's a crazy thought.
I was using my shootas to counter his berzerkers, but I guess they would work given enough quantity.
I actually did have to use my Dred to KO his Chaos Lord, so I guess it would be worth throwing him against the Termies as well.
Now that I've had a few days to calm down and think about it, I guess it was alright to play defensive and castle, but it just felt... I don't know... strange to not be the one on offensive for once.
Perhaps its the PTSD (post-traumatic shock disorder) of Chaos terms in 4th Ed. My... that was a difference!

Best,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2008, 09:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

A couple months back we had a discussion on this within the following post:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=70152

Bottom line is that 30 ork squads are a must when dealing with elite close cbt units. The extra bodies are what will carry you through the close cbt. Also being able to get furious charge by assualt him is huge as well.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2009, 20:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with Brown and Hyena. I've had good luck shooting the hell out of them with a 20 strong Shoota Boyz with 2 big shootas. I spent a few turns thinning them out and then charged into them. You throw down enough dice and saves are bound to be failed. If you got the numbers, as Hyena is saying, then you're fine going into assault with them but you need the large mob to wither the attacks coming your way and not run.
Old 03 Jan 2009, 11:37   #6 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToof
But the only unit that gave me the willies, and rightly so was the unit of Chaos Terms with Twin Lightning Claws. For some reason I didn't really focus on them for a bit and Holy Crap, when they hit my lines, I thought my mob had just caught fire or something. Losing half a mob of 20 in a single combat round is no laughing matter! I'm still trying to think of some way to counter them...
I assume you met the most feared combination of Chaos Terminators, the Khornate Chaos Terminator Champions with Twin-Lightning Claws? They are not that hard to defeat, but you have to deny them the assault phase because no matter how powerful your Ork Close Combat units are, they will be bested by the Chaos Terminators. Instead focus on the one aspect of the game those Chaos Terminators lack in, the shooting phase.

A unit of Khornate Chaos Terminator Champions with Twin-Lightning Claws don't have a scrap of firepower, they will suffer if your opponent marches them up the board and they will suffer a merciless turn of shooting if they Deepstrike, as they have nothing to shoot back at you with. The key to felling the Chaos Terminators is to pack as much firepower as possible and direct it all at them, think quantity of fire over quality of fire here. The Orks may not be excellent shots, but they can unleash enough firepower in a single turn to make even an Imperial Guard General shiver in his boots! If you can force the Chaos Terminators to make armour save after armour save, they are likely to fail the occasional save, as Chaos Terminators are usually in small numbers losing even one or two Chaos Terminators can make an impact!

The Orks have a myriad of Shooty units able to unleash an ungodly amount of firepower onto those Chaos Terminators, you cannot fear them in the shooting phase because your opponent has foolishly sacrificed his trusted Twin-Linked Bolters for the Twin-Lightning Claws. But you must resist the temptation to assault them, because no matter how many Ork Boyz you throw at them or no matter how tough your Nobz might be, those Chaos Terminators will slaughter them, that's a fact not a biased statement.

Just take a good look through your Codex and write down all of the most Shooty Ork units available, then configure some squads in regards to numbers, wargear and weapons and then run through some small scenarios and see which works best. In your case the more Dakka you can get, the better, as your opponent won't expect your Ork Horde to be packing Guns all of a sudden!
Old 10 Jan 2009, 15:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

There is a final touch that many players of large Terminator squads use ........... the Land Raider. Tuck in an Uber Squad packed with Lighting Claws and special characters (or in the case of Black Templars, add Thunder hammers and Storm Shields using a Sword Brethren Terminator Command Squad) into that Landraider and you have .........

A. A Grossly Expensive Unit ............

B. The ultimate close combat unit ............

As Anton correctly notes, shooting this unit is the answer. Trying to hit it (Uber Termie Squad) with even multiple large mobz can fail due to Combat Resolution rolls against the "Fearless" Ork mobz.