Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork Strategy & Tactics - 5th Edition - Special Characters
Old 20 Dec 2008, 05:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Ork Strategy & Tactics - 5th Edition - Special Characters

This thread will be for the Special Characters options

Ghazghkull Thraka
Mad Dok Grotsnik
Wazdakka Gutsmek
Old Zogwort

Toss in your 2 cents about which of these special characters work and how you've used them in the past to cause mayhem, the more people chime in their experiences, the more informative the thread will be.

Discuss your own tactics and experiences.
Old 21 Dec 2008, 02:47   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Ork Strategy & Tactics - 5th Edition - Special Characters

I loved playing with Mad Dok Grotsnik, slap him with a group of boys give em FNP and Cyborg bodies, they become sexier than 'Ard boys, the only thing you gotta watch out for are those pesky players, you know the clever ones that know he has to move tward the nearest enemy, but other than that fun stuff he plays just like i do. "Rawr, der iz somfin' ova der! muss Schmush!"

Old Zogwort vs. Marneus Calgar

turn 1 rolled a 5 on the psychic table got him and a mob of 30 boys 12 inches away (silly scatter) from Marneus i shot them not much happened turn ends they shoot me they assault we're locked in combat. turn two psychic power, roll off ensues Marneus becomes a squig. needless to say i had a good laugh.
Zekery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2008, 03:53   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Wazdakka Gutsmek is kinda an iffy Special Character. One weakness of Wazdakka is that he is Strength 4 and doesn't made a Cybork Body as well as an expensive Special Character. And don't be fool by his Dakka Cannons, I know it looks cool but for practical application, a Power Klaw can get it done better. The only reason you want this Special Character is that you want to take Warbiker Mobz as Troop Choice. For everything else, a Warboss equipped with Warbike, Power Klaw, Bosspole, Cybork Body and Attack Squig does better.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2008, 03:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

What about this guy? Ghazghkull Thraka?

Isn't he supposed to be the greatest among the great among Orks?
how good is he in actual play?
Old 21 Dec 2008, 04:02   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
What about this guy? Ghazghkull Thraka?

Isn't he supposed to be the greatest among the great among Orks?
how good is he in actual play?
He is like a sort of Marneus Calgar of the Orks. Big, Powerful and Expensive. Only to be used in large-point games. He's a CC Monster but Slow and 'Purposeful". Put him together with Mega Armored Nobz and in a Transport Vehicle which is a must for these slow fellaz; either Trukk or Battlewagon. My personal preference would be a Battlewagon with a Deff Rolla > Move 12", ramming evertything in your way. Yes, literally. Disembark (if you're close enough to an enemy), shoot and assault. Watch them slaughter through your opponent's Gunline. How good he is? Just about as good as you can get with a Special Character and like Marneus Calgar, he can re-roll to Hit and Wound which is very good. Whether he is worth it; well that's your own opinion and experience.

Of course, this doesn't matter once you get into contact with Lysander and/or Assault Terminators equipped with Thunderhammer and Storm Shields. You will curse them and their 3+ Invulnerable Save.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote