Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork Strategy & Tactics - 5th Edition - HQ
Old 20 Dec 2008, 04:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Ork Strategy & Tactics - 5th Edition - HQ

Alright so I just started playing Orks but im having a very hard time finding information about Orks in 5th edition.

There's a lot of stickied threads and such but nobody seems to update them for 5th edition as things dont exactly work the same as they did in 4th.

I'm sure there's others like me who would like to get some input on the effectiveness of each codex entry and how to get properly geared for 'Waagh!!'.

So do feel free to post your thoughts in this thread.

FOR THE SAKE OF CLEANER DISCUSSION I WILL MAKE SEPARATE THREADS 1 FOR EACH Force Organization Chart Type.

This thread will be for the HQ options (not including special characters that will have it's own thread)

Warboss
Big Mek
Weirdboy

toss in your 2 cents, the more people chime in their experiences, the more informative the thread will be to newcomers like myself.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 06:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Ork Strategy & Tactics - 5th Edition - HQ

My old tactica on Wierdboys didn't change any, as I wrote about the new codex, and none of the things I talked about changed in 5th... Well, except for psychic powers used in transports, but that should be farily obvious to a 5th ed. player.

Link to wierdboy Tactica: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=62914.0
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2008, 18:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

What are the best HQ choice set-ups?

I'm really having problem with this one, I had some warbosses which didn't seem to do anything too great so I got rid of them and added a Big Mek which i have yet to test out.

but im pretty sure the warbosses can be more useful if I just learn 'how' to properly equip them and get some ideas on how to use them in-game.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 00:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

One clue as to when to use a Warboss as opposed to a Big Mek can be ascertained by answering a simple question. Do you have an expensive (by Ork point standards) mob of some sort that has a low model count? Nob Mob or Nob Bikers Mob perhaps ......... ? Then you will want a Warboss for the Leadership roll. While leadership nine is only one better than an eight, it make a big difference on a roll of two D6. This is particularly true when you include Boss Pole Rerolls.

Big Meks are useful for either the Kustom Force Field (KFF) or the Shock Attack Gun (SAG). Both are useful tools but I'd rate the defensive KFF a little higher than the SAG. This is particularly true when running flootslogger army lists.

Weirdboyz are cool for doing .......... the unexpected. Transporting an entire mob across the board can be a major advantage and change the nature of the game.

Best Regards,

Old 22 Dec 2008, 12:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What's the best way to equip a warboss then?

I got 4 assault on black reach box sets from which i build my ork army. I ended up ripping off the warboss's PKs becasue i felt that 4 nobz attached to the boyz with PKs woudl be more useful.

So what kind of equipment can I use for a warboss or a big mek as 'standard' ?

And in regards to the weird boy is there any good convertions for him that I could try? He's just a nob right? I converted my big mek off a nob so maybe i can do the same.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 03:29   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i like to bring in a Big Mek with SAG, and a weirdboy. The what happened factor alone sells it for me. I usually put the weirdboy with a group of boys in case of a 'here we go' roll. For the SAG I've had bad experiences with putting him in a mob because of a Dreadnaught coming down in a drop pod and then locking him and the mob in CC. so what i do now is have tiny groups of 10 grots each surround him to stop assaults and let my SAG keep shooting.

Weirdboy: make him a warp head
Big mek: SAG, cyborg body, PK in case of a '5,5'
Zekery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2009, 22:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Warboss has the raw killing power, the Big Mek makes your army more survivable. There is no good reason to take a wierdboy. I love to take one,even if he's competing for one of two slots and the other choices can be better. I've had Warpheads kill HQ units and annihilate tanks with a well placed Zzap. A propitious 'Ere We Go' on a mob of thirty boyz can deep strike them into enemy lines but a bad one will get them shot up. It's all random and cannot be relied upon, but you are playing Orks. If you take a weirdboy make him a warphead... he is less random.

The KFF Meq is not as much fun as a SAG Meq but if you are looking for a dependable HQ, he is very useful in most lists. A KFF has the effect of generating a force field that provides a 5+ cover save to any units within 6” and vehicles within 6” count as obscured. So you can footslog him or you can put him in a Battlewagon surrounded by other vehicles ( yes they get the obscured save). He can take cybork armour, 'eavy armour or grot riggers to help his designated role and do not forget his bosspole. In a footslogging mob I really like PK/burna.

Now the SAG is truly random but more effective then you might first suspect. He has a range of 60”, a STR of 2d6 to a max of 10 , he vaporizes whatever anything under the template with no saves and is an AP2 ordinance weapon with a large blast template. Sound good to you? Well, the downside is that he can ( and has with me ) blow up and he can also vaporize your own boys ( he has with me again). That said, surround him with grots so they take the wounds from a bad roll and can tarpit incoming outflankers. Here is my tactica on the SaG

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=61659.0

The Warboss is your combat hero and provides leadership that Ork lists need. The powerklaw is still the Warboss’s best friend and their no good reason an Ork Warboss shouldn’t have one. He also should get the attack squig. Depending on who is he accompanying, give him a bosspole ( not with Nobs as they can get their own), a bike and cybork ( in a Nob Biker squad), Mega Armour (with mega nobs) or cybork/'eavy armour with the regular boys. Now we longer get a bonus for the extra weapon so fo five points give him a combi-weapon, tl shoota or combi-scorcha.

Now you have to decide if you are going mech with BWs ( KFF Meq), Nob Biker route ( warboss), shooty horde ( warphead, SaG). This really is just a brief intro to the possibilities. I cannot put my head around a full blown Ork tactica. Someone will need to show me how to write one.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2009, 00:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

With all the unbalanced rules for hand to hand combat in 5th ed, I don't really think the orks need strategies to win! Only shooty armies facing against orks needs to use their greymatters! Though now with the new guard codex things might change abit. But Tau is still totally nerfed against those green bastards!!! (yeah I am jaded cause just lost a 2 vs 2 game against ork allies on saturday, kill points at the end was 38/11...)
Old 20 Apr 2009, 02:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm going to have to totally disagree with you there Wu-Tang. If I didn't use strategy in my last battrep I would have lost very quickly. Any idiot can run boyz up the middle, or turbo boost a ton of tanks at an enemy, but any idiot can counter that as well. If you don't play with tactics and win a lot its not because you have orks, its because your opponent is not a good general.

This really comes into effect when playing other close combat armies. If you just try to get in hand to hand as fast as possible, you will loose. Tyranids, eldar, dark eldar, daemons, and chaos can easily match the martial power of the orks, and most have units that can hand our greenskins their butts.

Canabebe, I agree with most of what you are saying but there are times a big choppa is better than a power claw. One is if you are really strapped for points, but the small difference shouldn't really come into play. I think the best reason to have a big choppa is for fighting walkers. Against some of them (soul grinder, kan/dreads, defiler) you will go before them and have a chance of taking them out before they insta kill you. When facing dreadnoughts you can go simultaneously and have a chance of killing them as they kill you. Probably not the best thing for a warboss to do, but its fun. I was charged by a blood angels dread and we killed each other at the same time. I died quietly while he exploded and killed two space marines.

If you play a fluffy list a big choppa can be the right choice too. I have three "brothers" that lead my orks. Meksnikk is the youngest and has a big choppa, Zagsnikk is the middle child with a power claw and bike, while Goffsnikk has mega armor. Probably not the most efficient build but having a bunch of strength 8 attacks at initiative 5 is nice sometimes.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2009, 02:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I personally find orks way harder to handle than tyranids :-\ they actually have really decent fire power and "death proof" units like nobz with warboss + dok. Tau really doesn't have many bane against that sort of unit. As our only template weapon is str6...

I think the most important thing Tau can do against orks is to get deployment and reserve strategy right for them.