Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Genestealer Cult of Octavius
Old 11 Dec 2008, 00:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Genestealer Cult of Octavius

I was reading the Tyranid Codex, when I came upon the story of Kryptman's Gamble (page 21); basically, to prevent Hive Fleet Leviathan from falling upon defenceless Imperial worlds, Kryptman seeded a Space Hulk with Genestealers and blew up a moon to send the Hulk off course and into the Ork empire of Octavius (whether this refers to an individual, planet, system, or group of systems is unclear) where Ork looters boarded the ship and brought back the Genestealer infestation where it spread quickly. The psychic beacon this created diverted the efforts of Leviathan into the Orks and battle still continues there.

Having read this, and recalling the old first edition Ork-Genestealer Hybrid models, I started thinking about the possibilities an Ork Genestealer Cult, as a tabletop army, would have (using the Ork army list with custom models). It does make you wonder, though, just how you'd get spored Ork-Genestealer Hybrids popping up ;D

I'd reckon that you could have a Magus represented by a Weirdboy and perhaps a First Generation Hybrid counting as a Warboss (or perhaps a Patriarch (Da PaytriOrk? )). Nobs as Hybrids also seem to be a fairly good representation, both in their own units and as unit leaders (Ork Boys themselves being, effectively, "Brood Brothers").

Considering the usual technological deficiencies Genestealer Cults have, and the oddly effective manner of Ork technology, I'm at a loss to decide just how much tech I ought to have available to the army.

Anyone else ever considered doing something like this?
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2008, 17:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Genestealer Cult of Octavius

That's actually a damn cool idea for an army there. Creative, unique, but fits nicely with an actual event in the fluff. Kinda wish I'd thought of it actually
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2008, 21:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well you would probably have less vehicles but other than that human hybrids can pretty much use anything they would know how to use so the ork hybrids would have similiar capabilities. An interesting question would be since much of the ork DNA is artificial can the genestealers use the Mek boyz knowledge?

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2008, 21:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to orkkrusher

Maybe a lot of squigoths? I would use a feral orks for what you are trying to do.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 00:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkWolf
Well you would probably have less vehicles but other than that human hybrids can pretty much use anything they would know how to use so the ork hybrids would have similiar capabilities. An interesting question would be since much of the ork DNA is artificial can the genestealers use the Mek boyz knowledge?
It's my understanding that whilst (human) Hybrids have the same difficulties manipulating technology as their Purestrain brethren, Brood Brothers (the humans infected by Genestealers and give birth to Hybrids) retain the knowledge they did before and are fully capable of manipulating and using technology. Therefore, in my opinion, any Meks infected would be able, and willing, to continue to make their technological marvels.

Also, having revisited the background for Genestealer Cults, it seems that the general lack of technology and vehicular support for (human) Genestealer Cults is due to them wanting to grow in secrecy; hence their transportation being civilian vehicles (in recent editions, limousines and trucks). However, Orks being Orks, I reckon they'd probably continue fairly much as they would normally; fighting and trading as normal. Where human Genestealer Cults often set themselves up as religious sects, such a thing seems to be unlikely in Ork society.

It seems probable that they would quickly take over a whole warband and then a whole tribe or settlement; the Ork codex states that defeated Orks will wholeheartedly welcome the chance to follow a stronger warlord, so it seems that once the Genestealers have a foothold, the cult will spread quickly (defeating other tribes and integrating them (with the Kiss) would not be hard for Genestealer-Ork Hybrids).

However, it seems that it could be somewhat hard to gain said foothold; under normal circumstances, infected host species breed, and their first born is usually a Hybrid. However Orks send out spores (a tremendous amount if they die) which will mature into any of the standard Greenskins, Squigs, or other fungi. So one can assume that one of these spores will mature into a Genestealer-Ork Hybrid. Under normal circumstances, a Hybrid born to two parents will be hidden away by said parents until old enough to Kiss another host. But a Genestealer-Ork Hybrid will not have the luxury of being hidden by their parent, unless said parent seeks out their childe. Perhaps the Genestealer genes affect either the parent or the Hybrid and cause them to seek out the other, so as to keep the newborn Hybrid safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkkrusher
Maybe a lot of squigoths? I would use a feral orks for what you are trying to do.
Yeah, I've already had thoughts of a Gargantuan Squiggoth with parts from a Tyranid Hierophant added on (though it would be horribly expensive, so I'd likely add 'Nid-style Chitin carapace using green stuff instead).

[hr]

I've decided that my army will be led by a Weirdboy Warphead, the Magus of the Cult. It will also include a Warboss, a first generation Hybrid affectionately nicknamed Da PatriOrk (as the original Patriarch will have been killed (as described by Codex: Tyranids); he'll likely be armed with a Power Klaw, Attack Squig (the extra attack being modelled by having two additional (Genestealer-style) arms, 'eavy Armour (representing chitin) and a Bosspole.

Hybrids will be represented by Nobs, and will ride in the Ork equivalent of limousines; Battlewagons (which I won't be taking as Heavy Support choices). One of these will be a Troops choice due to having a Warboss. All Nobz in the army list, including those leading mobs of regular Orks, will be Hybrids (likely taking a standard Nob model and adding bits from the Genestealer sprue, and a load of green stuff to make up the difference in size).

The other Elites will be included as and when I purchase them, though I don't think I'll be having MegaNobz, due to my vision of Hybrids-as-Nobs.

Brood Brothers will be represented by Ork Boyz, led by Hybrids-as-Nobs. Grots will also be included as I find it hard to imagine an Ork army, even a Genestealer Cult, without Grots. Plus, Genestealer Cult tactics generally involve sending expendable troops first, which is something Grots excel at ;D

I see no reason not to include any of the Fast Attack choices, especially considering my point of view regarding infected Meks.

I won't be including Looted Wagons as I imagine any battle my Orks to participate in to either be an attack by invaders or the first battle of a standard Ork WAAAGH! (which the cult has tagged along on), and thus they wouldn't yet have access to enemy vehicles to loot.

Deff Dreads will only be allowed in the army if they have four Dreadnought Close Combat Weapons so as to emulate Da Allfarva ;D
[hr]
Old 13 Dec 2008, 00:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Bug boyz, as they used to be called were just Orks with +1 attack. It was very rare that the genestealer seed could take in orks, with something like a 3% chance. They were allowed in ork and Genestealer cult armies.

The whole problem is that this used to be when orks were essentially mammals, penis and all. Now that they're veggies, I'm not sure it would work.

And yes, they would keep their technology. My favorite part of the genestealer cults were limos...
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2008, 00:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
It was very rare that the genestealer seed could take in orks, with something like a 3% chance.
Fortunately (for me), the old background has been somewhat overwritten by the story, mentioned in my first post, that is in the Tyranid Codex; I guess fungal Orks are more susceptible to the Kiss than mammal Orks
[hr]
Old 13 Dec 2008, 01:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

You bring up a good point about the ork spores, not to damper your ideas for a hybrid ork army but that would be a very good reason why the orks are hard to infect by genestealers, not to mention their other traits.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2008, 13:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

A couple of things occurred to me overnight regarding the improbability of a Genestealer Cult taking hold.

To begin with, the way a Genestealer infection tends to begin (with respect to humans) is that the genestealer and its thrall flee as far away as possible from civilisation, settling in the most remote part of the planet. They travel either in the deep wilderness or in the bowels of an abandoned inner city or hive. The genestealer begins to prey on the humans around him and those he infects join the cult. (Quoted verbatim from the Bell of Lost Souls Genestealer Cult army list).

Assuming the same thing occurred for an Ork, then the Genestealer and the infected Ork would travel far from other Orks and would, essentially, create a pseudo-Wildboy tribe. The initial infected Ork, particularly if killed (by the Genestealer?), will provide an amount of spores for more Orks, Grots and Squigs. All of these spores, as 'genetic children' of the infected Ork, will hold kinship to said Ork (if still alive), the Genestealer, and the inevitable Genestealer Hybrid spored from the infected Ork ("In this way each Hybrid gains Human brothers and sisters, who feel both the normal Human loyalty to their strange sibling, and the primeval bonds of the alien kind whose genes are so closely linked with their own." - White Dwarf 116 (the origin of Genestealer background)). Thus, all the spore children will band together and likely fight (hunt) in a far more cohesive manner than normal Wildboyz.

In this way, Orks actually prove a more viable host than Humans do; due to their asexual manner of reproduction, you only need a single Ork (and a viable food supply, I suppose) to actually found, maintain, and even bring to fruition a cult (and thus the inevitable Tyranid hive fleet). Therefore, there must be some reason why there aren't more Ork Genestealer Cults seen; the likely answer is that the temperament of the Orks mean that nascent Cults are perhaps wiped out in conflict with other Orks (whilst a standard Ork tribe will capitulate once their Warboss is killed, a Genestealer Cult will likely fight to the death). Therefore, only the most remote of Cults would grow to the size where they can reintegrate with standard Ork society, thus assimilating technology (through infected or spored Meks).

The larger and more successful the tribe grows, the quicker it will grow, as the standard inter-tribe warfare will likely result in the cult's victory over their opponents (due to their genetic advantage; "they gain some of the genestealerís remarkable strength, resilience and longevity, becoming healthier than ever before." - Bell of Lost Souls Genestealer Cult army list), who will (by standard Ork philosophy) resolve themselves to become part of their conquerors; unwittingly submitting themselves to the Kiss. Thus, once it has a foothold, a successful Cult will snowball in size.
[hr]
Old 13 Dec 2008, 13:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

I came across these two quotes out of boredom for random orkiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer Endgame
Scar Boys who near carnifex's for size and strength are to be found among their ranks.

The Great Devourer bit off more than it could chew and what it spit out something far more dangerous than many could imagine.

Massive amounts of tough greenskin genetic material has been gathered. New broods are being formed, tougher and more resilient than anything seen previously.

Most dangerous of all perhaps are the rumors that the psychic resonance of an Ork Waaargh! has somehow been assimilated into the Hvie...
It was more in regards to a prolonged war between the two, but it seemed like it fit here.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote