Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stormboyz???
Old 02 Dec 2008, 14:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Stormboyz???

Hi All,
I hate to title a post with something as generic as above, but I wanted to get people's practical opinions on Stormboyz. I've never used them, and I must admit that my interest stems from the really neat figures that are coming out in January....
For me, the Stormboyz seem like one-hit wonders. You sweep in, break a squad, knock out a vehicle, and then get mowed down like ripe wheat (usually by the squad you just broke). For 12 points/model that are NOT scoring, it seems like a bit much. Hopefully I'm missing somthing...
Some people state that the Stormys are great, but I have yet to see their successful use in person. I was hoping that others could lend their experiences, so I can figure out whether or not the investment will be worth it...

Thanks,
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2008, 14:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Stormboyz???

Stormboyz are hands down one of my favorite units. They are extremely fast, 12" move + 1d6" and a 6" charge gets you potentially 24" of movement in a single turn. They are no better equipped than normal boyz and so you can't just run them straight up table and expect to get much accomplished. However, in the right situations they are well worth their points.

They work great in a KoS type of list since they can keep up with the Trukks and other vehicles and can use those vehicles to hide behind. If something is a treat to your Trukks then rush the Stormboyz out front and remove the threat. They are also a great counter charge unit because of their speed. That fast movement is also great for those last turn objective grabs or to contest an objective. I arm my Nob with a PK and he gets much use out of it. Their speed lets you get on top of a vehicle relatively safely and then deliver the PK to that rear armor. Stormboyz also come with stikkbombz, though not amazing, in 5th it will give you a chance to glance any AV10 vehicle in assault. Plus, if you're playing a low initiative army like Tau, then they're great for rooting out those entrenched Fire Warriors.

They are an amazing unit if used well, but they do require some finesse, you can't just throw them at anything that comes your way.
Old 02 Dec 2008, 18:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like using stormboyz when fighting agaist the Tau's Stealth Suit teams. The steal suits ideal range is 18" and the are fielded typically in small squads. This gives medium to large size groups of Stormboyz an advantage over them. Keep your stormboyz out the Stealth Teams LOS but sitting at 13 to 18" away from them. This ensures that your stormboyz can still charge them even after their assualt move. Now have some bait, some lootas, in behind the stormboyz at 19" or greater away from the stealth team. You now have the upperhand on him, yes you have to test to see the stealth suits to shoot at them but just ignore them the Lootas have the range. If he moves in on the lootas you can swoop in with the stormboyz and neutralize them.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2008, 22:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You can't forget the named character that let's the Boyz Deepstrike and still Assault.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 05:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Personally, I use them just the oppsite way compared to Thor{DoH}. I send them out ahead of footsloggers to either tie up shooty enemies like devastator squads, or blunt the enemy's charge. Sure they die like anything, but it keeps my multiple 30 shoota boyz squads at full strength as they close into firing and assault range. 12 points each is worth it to me if it lets you keep your scoring units around at full power. I love fast assaults like this, because melee combat is one of the few LOS blocking forms of cover still around in 5TH, and quick assaulters let you choose when and where to use it.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 11:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree, BrownKnight. In the end, Stormboyz are Orks and Orks are relatively versatile in their use.
Old 03 Dec 2008, 14:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thank you all for your replies!
I was going to add more, but I noticed that Thor has written up a great tactica!

Thanks!
-BT
BigToof is offline   Reply With Quote