Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question about Big Mek loadout
Old 13 Nov 2008, 20:57   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Question about Big Mek loadout

So in the Codex it says the Big Mek can replace his Choppa with a Burna.. it also says that he can replace his Slugga with Mega Armor.

My question is can you do both? Or when you take the Mega Armor is your choppa(or Burna..if you have replaced it) automatically converted to a PK.. or can you have a Big Mek with a TL shoota and a Burna?

If so.. how do you handle that in the shooting phase?

Im betting you probably cant take both the armor and the burna.. but if thats the case..they sure worded it oddly in the codex.
Corbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 21:34   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Question about Big Mek loadout

Yeah you can take both. It is worded oddly in the 'dex, and I don't really know where the Mek is supposed to put the burna... but he can take them both. In the shooting phase, infantry can only shoot one gun, so you'd have to choose. You'll also have to choose which weapon you use in close combat (assuming you didn't shoot the burna in the preceding shooting phase).
Wiegraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 21:50   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiegraf
Yeah you can take both. It is worded oddly in the 'dex, and I don't really know where the Mek is supposed to put the burna... but he can take them both. In the shooting phase, infantry can only shoot one gun, so you'd have to choose. You'll also have to choose which weapon you use in close combat (assuming you didn't shoot the burna in the preceding shooting phase).
Id assume that you have to replace the PK on the Mega-Armor with the burna. Since you have to choose to replace your choppa with either a Burna or a PK.. it makes sense that you wouldnt be able to get the mega armor to have BOTH a burna and a PK.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 22:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The real question is why you would give a Mek Megaarmour in the first place... The way I read the rules, he can have neither a KFF nor am SAG if you equip him with Megaarmour - and this are basically the reasons to take a Mek in the first place, imo.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 22:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I already have a 3 Bigmeks, 2 with KFF and one with a SAG. Being a Deffskull player I really like the idea of a Bigmek in Mega Armour with a Burna and I plan on making one. This makes him hearty and he has the ability to attack with either the PK or the Burna (power wpn). Apply the right wpn to the right opponent and he will last that much longer. Think of this BigMek as the the assualt group commander and the KFF or SAG as the support commander.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 23:37   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbie
Id assume that you have to replace the PK on the Mega-Armor with the burna. Since you have to choose to replace your choppa with either a Burna or a PK.. it makes sense that you wouldnt be able to get the mega armor to have BOTH a burna and a PK.
But it doesn't say that. The entry doesn't make a ton a sense, but that's the way it's written. You can't take a burna and a PK, but you can take a burna and Mega Armour, which comes with it's own set of advantages and restrictions (one advantage is the inclusion of a PK).
Wiegraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2008, 00:44   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well hey..that works for me then . I get my Burna and my PK.

As for my reasons..its more for theme. Im in the process of making my first army and ive got a list in mind that im wanting to use (its in the army list forum)..but im thinking of changing it up because I really want to include some burna boyz .

Well... I was reading my Codex today to pass some time and I read the excerpt about the Arch-Arsonist of Charadon.. and i thought that it would be really sweet to make an army based around that character.

My resolve to do this was further strengthened when I considered all of the cool marine bits I was gonna have access to when I get the Assault On Black Reach box. So im thinking now about an army that uses a similar setup to the list I have in the army list forum, but im gonna paint them black with Ultramarine Blue flames.. and throw in alot of looted ultramarine equipment/vehicles and such.

To do it properly though..you have to have something sufficiently burny leading the charge.. so im thinking a battlewagon full of burna boyz..led by the Arch-Arsonist himself...a big mek with mega-armor and Burna.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 10:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Fair enough, though I always considered the Arch-Arsonist to be a Warboss... too bad they don't have access to burnas (though you COULD of course give him a Skorcha/Shoota Kombiweapon. Which leads to the next question - can a Warboss in Megaarmour take a Kombiweapon? :-\ :P).

I always thought of Big Mek led Warbands as rather small, "fringe" groups... I mean, its only natural, if you've built up a large, mainstream Empire, sooner or later, the strongest Ork will try to take it away from you. No Warboss, on the other hand, would be interested in a fringe, techno-fanatic group of Gargbotloving Orks on a lone Krooza... but that's just IMO.

Cheers and good look with the Arch-Arsonists,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2008, 22:14   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I agree that the Arch-Arsonist should be a warboss rather than a big mek.. but the warboss is not as capable of burnin things as the mek is. So.. for rule purposes..he will be a big mek.. but appearance wise he is gonna look alot more like a warboss.