Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Old 04 May 2008, 15:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Newbie

Well I'm starting Orks and could do with some advice, having never played a 'Horde' army before.

The main reason I chose to begin using Orks is because they are so easy to convert and theme. I love doing that kind of thing. Because of this I want an extremely themed army, not just something basic like: Looters. Heavily themed like Chaos etc.
Only ideas that I've thought of and considered are the Chaos Gods:
Nurgle - obviously a large chance for major converting so quite a likely option.
Khorne - not really sure how this would work. Paint them red?
Tzeentch - for Tzeentch I would probably remover machinery and replace them with weird and magical things so this is a slight possibilty.
Slaanesh - ??? Make them female and cut off their clothes? No idea.

All advice and ideas are very welcome.

- Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2008, 15:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Newbie

Glad to see you plan to start Orks, I wanted to, but as you know I couldn't cut it and I'm hopefully trading them to you ;D. Oooh, interesting idea, for Slaanesh I can just imagine them all in gay outfits :P, yeah... please don't go slaanesh... :P ;D. I wouldn't suggest Khorne, they're not likely to fall under his influence when they're allready bloodcrazed and born to fight :P. So the ones you'd be left with would be Nurgle and Tzeentch, which I can't decide which would be better :P. Hope that helps, and good luck with it .
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2008, 16:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalusHunter
Glad to see you plan to start Orks, I wanted to, but as you know I couldn't cut it and I'm hopefully trading them to you ;D. Oooh, interesting idea, for Slaanesh I can just imagine them all in gay outfits :P, yeah... please don't go slaanesh... :P ;D. I wouldn't suggest Khorne, they're not likely to fall under his influence when they're allready bloodcrazed and born to fight :P. So the ones you'd be left with would be Nurgle and Tzeentch, which I can't decide which would be better :P. Hope that helps, and good luck with it .
Never thought about Khorne in that way so thanks. Also, I wasn't saying I'm only doing Chaos Orks. Just they're the only ideas I've got so far. If you have any others then please say.
Thanks Malus.

- Shadow

Quote:
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
Old 04 May 2008, 16:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oh ok, then...

How about....

well I dunno :P, what are your limits?
Old 05 May 2008, 04:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to The_One

That's the beautiful thing with Orks is the sky's the limit...

So with Tzeentch, you can swap out a couple of the weirdboy powers and do some other chaos stuff (I played Tyranid and now Orks so talk to a Chaos expert)
Nurgle...make them "Feel no pain" and allow them to take Nurgle stuff

THIS IS FOR CHAOS ONLY!!! Just think about possibilities you want and go for it...right now I plan on looting a bunch of Tau vehicles and trying to work them into squads...so basically a looted Mek army ;D
The_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 04:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

No less than the great Adrian Wood (Games Workshop and Grand Ork Master) actually modeled Chaos Orks. In the fluff it can happen but it is very unlikely. Other Orks would quickly realize that something wasn't right and you'd have a fight on your hands. But then again, what else is new in regards to Orkz?

Here is a link to Adrian's Chaos Orks ................

http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/4...ks/default.htm

Best Regards,

Old 05 May 2008, 05:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

So does this mean you aren't expecting me to respond to your PM?

I still like the ideas of Nurglesque Orks and Khornate Orks the most. Both seems quite plausable in my mind, at least.

Khornate Orks, in my opinion, would be quite easy to justify. This can be one by taking a quick look at my Chaos Orks fluff. Orks live to fight, right? They choose their leaders by whoever's stompier and can krump the other bosses. So then here comes this band of beakies slice their way through the Orkish ranks and take the head of their Warboss, all while yelling "Blood to the Blood God! Skulls to the Skull Throne! For Khorne!" I can see the Orks thinking Khorne? Who's he? I don't know, really, but if he's got boyz like dem gits, he must be really stompy. And so Khorne sinks his claws into a band of boyz...

Modeling-wise, I'd model them mostly as normal Orks, but I'd add some goat-like horns to some of them, nobs espeically. I'd also make sure to add a ton of scars to them, to represent (primarily) their ritualistic blood letting that's taken root in their band. Also, I'd add Khorne glyphs to any flat surface, be it axe heads or armour plates. I'd probably paint them either green with red warpaint or maybe just say "to hell with chloroplasts" and paint them red. That'd be one effective way to make them stand out.

When it comes to Nurglesque Orks, my justification is quite simple, too. Again, borrowing a page from my own Chaos Orks, a Nurglesque Cult attempting to summon a deamon in a random jungle clearing, far away from the peering eyes of their home city. Lacking smartness, they screw up and manage to infect themselves with some Nurgley plague and dying quite quickly. Unfortunately for them, not only are they now dead, but they were preforming this ceremony right in the middle of an Ork spore field. Some of their magical essence (read: smelly goo) is absorbed into the ground and also into the next batch of Orks.

Modeling wise, I'd just do what every Nurgle player does: add rot and add vents. If feeling ambition, I'd also add little Nurgle glyphs to axe heads, blades, and armour, just to cement the Nurgle feel. Also, I'd paint them more of a lighter, rotton color. I'd probably use the more Catachan Green colours.

Whenever I get around to making my Chaos Orks, I'll drop you a PM (assuming I remember).

Best of luck,

-Grandpa Ducky

EDIT: With all of the people saying you should make your own rules for it, I'm a massive un-fan of that. I'd try to just represent them using the current 'dex (or someones else's 'dex (Chaos Marines?) if feeling ambitious). That way you can play them anywhere and not need to worry about asking opponents permission before using them.

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 08:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ducky
I'd probably paint them either green with red warpaint or maybe just say "to hell with chloroplasts" and paint them red. That would be one effective way to make them stand out.
Just remember, just because they are orks, and they are red, doesn't mean you get a 7" move or charge. :P

Seriously though, great idea! I could also picture a dark eldar force who captured a few too many orks as gladiatorial slaves, and they broke free on the way back to Comorragh, beat down their captors, and took the dark eldar stuff. The warphead with them gets a vision, and claims that the guns and raiders are a gift from Mork, and so are to be used (after orky modification, of course,) above all other weapons.

Thus, dark eldar themed orks take the field, in raiders that fly too low to the ground to count as skimmers (trukks) and carrying modified splinter pistols and rifles (sluggas and shootas) riding jetbikes that have crashed and had wheels added, and with stormboyz on hellion skyboards. Even the talos can be chopped apart and made into some great guns and power klaws.

So, what do you think of Dark Orkdar?
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2008, 08:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for all your help.

@Malus: I want my Orks to be extremely converted so I'll go beyond the limits! ;D

@The_One: I like the idea of your army but it's not heavy enough for me >. Surely Orks are too stupid to use Tau vehicles anyway :P.

@IVEATCH: I'd already seen his Chaos Orks and I hate them! To be honest I think they're terrible. All he's done is get some normal Orks and probably some Orcs and the Chaos Mutations Sprue and stuck them together. Thanks anyway though .

@Grandpa Ducky: Thanks for all the advice. If I decide to use Chaos Orks I will almost certainly use Nurgle. So many converting opportunities too good to miss. Though I would still appreciatte a PM if you have any other ideas, and if you have time.

@BrownKnight: I quite like the idea with the Dark Eldar. Though there is one flaw that I can see.I don't think Orks would allow themselves to be captured, they'd just keep fighting until either he or his enemies die. Though I am considering it. Any other ideas ? That's helped me quite a lot, thanks.

Well thanks again for all your help people and I would appreciatte any more ideas and advice you have.

- Shadow

Quote:
Old 05 May 2008, 09:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_One
That's the beautiful thing with Orks is the sky's the limit...
Well actually I meant what are shadow's limits... :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ducky
Khornate Orks, in my opinion, would be quite easy to justify. This can be one by taking a quick look at my Chaos Orks fluff. Orks live to fight, right? They choose their leaders by whoever's stompier and can krump the other bosses. So then here comes this band of beakies slice their way through the Orkish ranks and take the head of their Warboss, all while yelling "Blood to the Blood God! Skulls to the Skull Throne! For Khorne!" I can see the Orks thinking Khorne? Who's he? I don't know, really, but if he's got boyz like dem gits, he must be really stompy. And so Khorne sinks his claws into a band of boyz...
True, but then it's still kinda the same as following a big nob and painting yourself in blood because he does... for me they're just too similar...
But that's me so shadow; do whatever the hell you want .

EDIT -
Quote:
Originally Posted by arandomshadow
Thanks for all your help.

@Malus: I want my Orks to be extremely converted so I'll go beyond the limits! ;D

@The_One: I like the idea of your army but it's not heavy enough for me >. Surely Orks are too stupid to use Tau vehicles anyway :P.

@IVEATCH: I'd already seen his Chaos Orks and I hate them! To be honest I think they're terrible. All he's done is get some normal Orks and probably some Orcs and the Chaos Mutations Sprue and stuck them together. Thanks anyway though .

@Grandpa Ducky: Thanks for all the advice. If I decide to use Chaos Orks I will almost certainly use Nurgle. So many converting opportunities too good to miss. Though I would still appreciatte a PM if you have any other ideas, and if you have time.

@BrownKnight: I quite like the idea with the Dark Eldar. Though there is one flaw that I can see.I don't think Orks would allow themselves to be captured, they'd just keep fighting until either he or his enemies die. Though I am considering it. Any other ideas ? That's helped me quite a lot, thanks.

Well thanks again for all your help people and I would appreciatte any more ideas and advice you have.

- Shadow
Okey doke, so Nurgle if you go the chaos way., and you're interested in a dark eldar theme.... hmm....

That just makes me think of freebootaz(sp?*)... Well, you could do freebootaz(sp?*) and just theme them however the hell you want :P, just say they've been nikkin stuff . So you could have some nurgle infected boyz, some dark ork raiders, some techno-babbla-orks (lootas/flash gitz/shoota boyz) who've got interested in doze techno-gun thingys dat dem bloo sheepy boyz got, etc, etc. You could have a giant mix and match, so you'll never get bored of the same old conversions .

(*I'm worried about spelling an ork word?! What the hell's got into me?!?! :P)