Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

killa jan in combat patrol?
Old 02 Mar 2008, 20:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default killa jan in combat patrol?

i should note i'm using the older, 3rd edition of the codex, but i'm wondering how viable a killa kan is in a 400 point combat patrol.

here's my list thus far:
Quote:
ELITES

10 Skarboyz with Burnas x3; Nob with Burna, Bosspole

TROOPS

15 Slugga Boyz with rokkit launcha x3; Nob with Burna, Big Hornz and Bosspole

HEAVY

1 Killa Kan with Big Shoota
my goal is to have the killa kan screen the rest of the mobs, as they head up behind it, with the skarboyz perhaps mixed directly in with the slugga boyz, so if either fails a morale, they can attempt to mob up.

i'm hoping the skarboyz can seriously lay a hurt on any MEQ (my friends armies are space marines, chaos marines, necrons and tyranids) while the rokkits can pop any rhinos or any stragglers.

active critiques?
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 23:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: killa jan in combat patrol?

not enough kans to actually bock your boyz try at least 2 khans if not 3. Also throw in a big mek with a KFF inbehind the kans for some extra punch. Switch to 4th edition though since the boyz are cheaper which means more boyz.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 04:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Against the Marines, and Gene Stealer-light Bug armies, Kans are perfect.
Against Necrons, don't play with Kans. Their basic guns can kill them, and unless you tie them up with something else beforehand, the Kans will never see combat. Rather take a fast element against them.

I have to agree with Hyena - you need more than 1 Kan. Maybe consider ditching the Skarboyz and getting more Kans and perhaps a Big Mek with a Force Field to screen both the Boyz and the Kans.

Cheers,
Hawkies
Old 03 Mar 2008, 05:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkies
Maybe consider ditching the Skarboyz...
i did think about this, but maybe i'm just being extra cautious and wanted to get as many S4 power weapon (close combat burna) attacks on the charge as i possibly can to completely wipe out any MEQs i encounter.
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 11:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Quote from: Hawkies on Yesterday at 11:42:07 PM
Maybe consider ditching the Skarboyz...

i did think about this, but maybe i'm just being extra cautious and wanted to get as many S4 power weapon (close combat burna) attacks on the charge as i possibly can to completely wipe out any MEQs i encounter.
Agreed, S4 Power Weapons will cut a neat whole in Marines, but never underestimate the power of 3rd Ed choppa's. Marines with 4+ Armour Saves drop just as easily as scouts.

Remember that you're chucking a whole lot of dice with normal sluggas: You have 4 attacks on the charge. With a 15 man squad of boyz, you go at the same Initiative as Marines(3rd Ed rules!). You drop 5 marines and he killes 2 boyz(If he has a full compliment of Marines,which I'm betting he doesn't).

In 400 points you can have 2 decent Mobs of Boyz and 2-3 Kans. If your opponent doesn't have heavy weapons/doesn't target your Kans with them, it's over. Even if he does, he's wasting the rest of the squads firepower - that's time bought for your Boyz to get closer.

Also, really consider the KFF on a Big Mek. Never knock the worth of 5+ cover and vehicle concealment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Hawkies