Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shoota Nobz and Power Klaws
Old 02 Mar 2008, 18:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Shoota Nobz and Power Klaws

Just need a quick check here. I've been looking for a reference or a post or a rule(or something for that matter) to clarify whether or not Nobz in Ork Shoota Boy squads are allowed to take Power Klaws?

It(the Codex) says that you replace the entire squads Slugga's and Choppa's with Shootas, and then to upgrade to a PK, you need to trade in your Choppa. So either you trade in for Shootas and no longer have a choppa to trade in, or you uprade to a Nob first and give him a Power Klaw, but then you can't upgrade your entire squad to Shootas anymore. ???

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Cheers,
Hawkies
Old 02 Mar 2008, 20:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Shoota Nobz and Power Klaws

Some people say yes, and some say no. Some will say that the whole squad needs to take the shoota, so the Nob can't have a PK, but others will site that the Ork Codex author takes PK Nobs in his Shoota squads. Also, one of the armies in the Codex has a Shoota Nob with a slugga/choppa which some would argue is impossible. Depends on who you listen to.

I'm going to use the PK Nob in a shoota mob.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 21:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's an Order of Operations mess. I'd say if you upgrade one Boy to a Nob first, then replace his Choppa with a Klaw, he wouldn't have to swap out for a Shoota...
Old 03 Mar 2008, 00:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

This question was posed in a Warhammer World, Warhammer 40,000 Grand Tournament House Rules Document that was Updated on February 22nd, 2008.

Q: Under the Ork Boyz entry it says that "the entire mob may replace its choppas and sluggas with Shootas at no additional cost". Later in the same entry it says that "Ork Nobz may replace their choppas with Power Klaws or Big Choppas". So the question is this, can a unit armed with Shootas take a Nob armed with either a Power Klaw or Big Choppa?

A: No they may not.

Granted this is only a tournament ruling, but it speaks to the strong possibility of an eventual FAQ answering the question in the same way.

Unfortunately I printed out the Tournament Rules without saving the website. I believe it is on the official GW website but this is about as close as I got to finding it again...................

http://uk.games-workshop.com/news/errata/

Good hunting in finding it.

Best,
Old 03 Mar 2008, 04:31   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks IVEATCH. If that was a tournament ruling, then that's what I'll stick to for now, until someone proves it otherwise or the FAQ allows it.

I will add that it kinda sucks that they can't take PK's and that there is a little inconsistancy then. If you look at the Nob Elites - they're allowed to take a PK and a Twin-Linked Shoota (not to mention all the other cool bling). Why should only those Nobz get all the cool bitz? You don't exactly get weedy Nobz, and what kind of Nob can't buy himself a Power Klaw, and beat another Ork into giving him a Shoota? >

Anyway, lets hope that the FAQ comes out before long, and then we can start complaining at GW.

Cheers,
Hawkies
Old 03 Mar 2008, 16:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It all really depends which tournament you look at. Adepticon, the largest North American event, says they can. The UK GTs say they cannot.

I'd check with the tournament organizer of any specific tournament you plan to attend, rather than trusting either of these to be right.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2008, 00:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

This is very true, Redbeard. It's like looking at a lower court ruling here in the U.S. and using this ruling as a guide to how the U.S. Supreme Court would finally decide a case.

I still haven't decided if ambiguous wordings are made my GW just to torture us players ........... or if this is just self inflicted torture.

Best Regards,

Old 04 Mar 2008, 00:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

We, Orks, aren't the only ones with a codex that doesn't explicitly state the sequence of upgrades, and in turn have debatable possibilities. I'm hoping, yeah being way to optimistic here, that maybe 5th Edition will clarify things like this across the board.
Old 07 Mar 2008, 14:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Shoota Nobz may take powerclawz,

It's in German, it's official from GW, Your Krumpa takes care of you...The Nob can change his CURRENT weaponry for (no more changing choppa)

* Powerklw AND Slugga
* Big Choppa AND Slugga

http://games-workshop.de/home/errata...k-de.shtm#orks

The people have suffered years of warfare. Only the King of Qin can stop the chaos by uniting all under Heaven
Krumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 14:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Energiekrallä ? The Germans call them Energy Klaws? Okay.

I have seen this mentioned before in the Shoota armed Nob/Power Klaw debate. Some say that it may be a translation issue. Heaven knows that between GW and demanding Players the rules can be tough enough just in a single language.

Karma point for a good find, nonetheless, Krumpa!

Best Regards,