Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wartrack/warbuggy/scorcha?
Old 29 Feb 2008, 04:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Wartrack/warbuggy/scorcha?

Is wartrack/warbuggy/scorcha worth fielding?

I freely admit that never invested in these types of fast choices en mass, so I never had first hand account on how these units work (I usually put my points in heavies or assault troops.) I see this as a fast choice that fills the role that the landspeeder, the viper, and the piranha have in other armies.

I can only see these units as being effective when being fielded as a full squadron; this due in case to the abysmal BS of the Orks (but then again these are Orks, shooting is not there strongest attribute) the twin linking helps, but at the least you are getting three shots w/ rerolls. That is why I am starting to think the best use incarnation is the scorcha variant.

I guess, to get to the point, is there something better that fills this role in which I can invest my points.

Thanks
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.”
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 05:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: Wartrack/warbuggy/scorcha?

I've always taken a Rokkit-toting Trakk to harry my opponents armour. While it doesn't often score any kills, it does keep the heat off the Boyz quite nicely. Over-all, I like them.

I would only field them individually, though. I'm not the biggest fan of the Squadron rules and just use mine as lone wolf tank hunters.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 07:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Hi there. I feel I have to say something there, as I have a whole bunch of them, and have fielded about any combo you might want to field.

Buggies and Wartrakks, note on

General:
If you field them, keep them mobile. In squadrons you end up leaving your immobile units behind, or become sitting ducks. Extra armor is a must if they get stunned. Extra armor keeps them shaken, so they can move away/the non-shaken units can move and fire again. Buggies are never ignored, as they tend to pack a punch in packs, and so are excellent to take off missiles from, say, a looted wagon. They are armoured, and so ignores <4 weapons. Some will work best in groups, and if you can, take them as each their fast attack choice. If you cant because you want stormies and bikes (yay), here are some words on how to make the most of your carpark.

Big Shootas
These are rarely a bad investment, with all their dakka. I usually field 3 of these in a squadron. They are twin linked, meaning a decent hitrate, and you’re quite certain to remove a fair deal of units with them. They can take on Armor 11 too, and armor 10 is easily ripped open. Their versatility means they can keep shooting at just about everything, as you never "waste" a S5 shot against neither T3 nor light tanks. This means, should they all be immobilized, they will still keep on blazing, unlike skorchas. These can be fielded in 1's, in 2's and in 3's. In case of fielding 2 or 3, take extra armor. My recommendation is with these squadrons. I wouldn’t give them trakks, as they really don’t need to hide in terrain/cross terrain and be bogged down doing that. They should be out there, making every shot and every turn count, taking hits from your boys. They always go down with a blaze!

Skorchas
Skorchas are to a degree one shots! One of their biggest flaws is if they get immobilised in the open, with no present targets within their range. Ive had 2 immobilized and 1 weaponless skorcha in a squadron in the open. Ignored, unable, useless and not even a worthy target for my enemy, they were a total points sink (ok, 120 points, big deal, but it was a blow against the orky pride to not even be considered a target.) As they progress to shoot they have to get within a really short range and thus, they may have to survive a whole turn where the enemy knows what’s on the way, a triple heavy flamer! It will then have to survive against whole squads of rapid fire or counter charges and so on. This means, they are more vulnerable in many ways. I would recommend if you attempt skorcha assaults, field them as 3 seperate targets. I have never succeeded in using these for direct assaults, especially never as advanding squadrons. They always succeed in drawing massed fire, and then they die. Of course, thats massed fire not into the boys, which is good, but the purpose is not a wall, its a flamer attack! They do howver seem to be quite effective counter chargers. Gaunts for example can swamp orks and swamp their charges with equal numbers, and can get very near very fast, readying a turn 2 charge. When they do, skorchas come out of their bushes and hit hard on them. If you field them, field them one at a time, maybe still with extra armor so they can keep getting closer - wartrakks are good too, as they may have to get into shielding terrain to advance in assaults. If used as a counter unit, use them plain, no advances.

Rokkits
I usually field one squadron here. We can’t ignore that Orks don’t have a really obvious antitank weapon. We have tankbustas, but they are slow and will usually face the front of the armor, as the opponent will know where to point it – he will know that the bustas are his tanks’ banes, with that glory hog thing. Rokkit buggies will be way more versatile, as they will have the ability to shrug off light firing and they have the ability to run off and hit side armor. The reason I prefer to field them in squadrons is that I prefer them to really blow up something when they pop out and shoot, and one rokkit on 5+ rerolled wont do this. 1-2 statistical hits on the other hand have a decent chance. If you can, deploy the same way as with the skorchas, using a slot each. If you cannot, 3 units with trakks and extra armor can popshot IG tanks, nidzillas and power armoured hot shots. These can be fielded in 1's, in 2's and in 3's. In case of fielding 2 or 3, take extra armor. Wartrakks are suitable for tank hunting too.

Summin it up
All in all, buggies are quite excellent although somewhat misunderstood. Whether to use them in squadrons or not is a consequence of your intentions with them. Skorchas are better used individually, although preferably as 3 choices, while big-shootas deserve the luxury a squadron for massed fire. I often field 4-6 in my speedy army as they are dead cheap – and field lots of dakka. My recommendation is with the shoota and rokkit versions though – skorchas rarely survive to deliver the package, unless you play defensively, as in, no go.

I hope this helped.

Old 29 Feb 2008, 14:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I am a fan of Skorchas. For the other types of Wartrakks, I'd go with Deffkoptas instead, their speed and save arguably making them a lot more durable.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Buggies are dirt cheap mobile terrian that can effective block LOS to your other units unlike a deffkopta. Run what ever buggie floats your squig out infront of trukks, looted wagons, or troops. Even when they get popped chances are they will be a height 3 wreak which still blocks LOS.

Don;t be afraid to hold your buggies stationary behind terrian or simply turbo boosting back and forth till a target of opportunity comes. Be the patient hunter.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Deffkoptas have several other advantages which help compensate for the not being a screening unit in itself...the most obvious is the ability to enter assault and therefore turn itself and an entire enemy unit into a screen. 2 Deffkoptas can assault a Guard squad (positioned that they avoid the killzones of any hidden powerfists), then make a consolidation move to avoid said hidden PF...after the enemy assault phase, the Koptas use Hit and Run, and prepare a second charge. With their toughnes of 5 and dual wounds, they'll last well against most non-dedicated assault troops.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 22:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Magic the topic was Warbuggies not Deffkoptas.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 03:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
Magic the topic was Warbuggies not Deffkoptas.
Right, he's just supporting an alternate choice that fills much the same role.

One of the drawbacks to those Deffcoptas, though, Magic, is that they still have leadership, and a rather shoddy leadership, at that. That's the biggest drawback that I can see. Pretty much any casualty is going to be felt and force a leadership check that you have only a seven in twelve chance of passing. Not exactally what I'd call good odds.

While I plan on making a unit of Deffcoptas because of their pure and unadulterated coolenss, I'll definitely be sticking to my Trakkz.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 04:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Judging from what you are saying a grot rigger, is an essential piece of kit.

Add I should not leave home with outh them.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.”
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 04:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

thats depends on who you talk to...I think they are complete waste of points in this codex unless its on a a battle wagon or a high point looted wagon.