Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to the Orks
Old 28 Feb 2008, 04:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default New to the Orks

I can't believe i'm saying this, I mean, I've been a Tau player since the golden tablet came out in the WD- but I just read the Ork Codex and I'm sold.

Over the years I've amassed quite a collection- but I don't know a thing about the Orks except how to kill them.

I want to use Bikers, boys, and nobz- not really psykers- does anyone have any ideas as to what would be the best 2000 point army?
Old 28 Feb 2008, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New to the Orks

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when you came over to the Green side. I have to tell you that I haven't played my Tau since I started my Orks.

Not sure I want to make a 2000 point list, but with that many points you have a lot of options. I would suggest using Wazdakka so you can take Nob bikers as troops choices. I've heard the Nob bikers squads are expensive ~400 points, but incredibly deadly and hard to kill. Boyz in Trukks run about 170 points with a PK Nob and a slightly tooled up Trukk. For heavy support you can add more boyz/nobz in battlewagon, or get some long range fire support with a Boomwagon. Whatever you end up doing, you will enjoy the green tide.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 04:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when you came over to the Green side. I have to tell you that I haven't played my Tau since I started my Orks.

Not sure I want to make a 2000 point list, but with that many points you have a lot of options. I would suggest using Wazdakka so you can take Nob bikers as troops choices. I've heard the Nob bikers squads are expensive ~400 points, but incredibly deadly and hard to kill. Boyz in Trukks run about 170 points with a PK Nob and a slightly tooled up Trukk. For heavy support you can add more boyz/nobz in battlewagon, or get some long range fire support with a Boomwagon. Whatever you end up doing, you will enjoy the green tide.
Wazdakka allows you to take normal bikers as troops. A warboss lets you take Nobz as troops, and you can mount them on bikes. Otherwise, I agree with you all the way.
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 06:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Wazdakka needs no troop choice allowance to be kool, you should take him for what he is - a special character.

If you will, you can take two warbosses, and 2 nobsquads on bikes as troops, and all the fast attack bikes you will. Potentially, thats 2 warbosses, 20 nobs and 60 bikers. Who the hell needs wazdakka?

Well, enough of bikers, a good complementary choice to them, is trukkboys. 12 boys in trukks. They advance fast, they are cheap, at about 170 points incl the trukk and most upgrades.

My list goes like this:

Base units:

Warboss, a few nobs and a painboy in a trukk
3 x 12 boys, with nobs, powerclaws, bosspoles etc. in trukks (24 choppas, 12 shootas)
6 bikes, with tooled up nob
3 buggies with tl rokkits
3 trakks with tl big shootas

Room for various, depending on circumstances:
- Looted vehicle
- Bikmek with shockattack gun
- Extra boy mobs, foot sloggers
- Flashgits
- Deff Dread

It seems to work well, with that minimum of 36 orks in trukks, they tend to hit hard as 6 buggies seem to draw a decent amount of shots for their points worth... Looted waggons with boomguns are fun stuff too, its a battlecannon for the price of 100 points - fun.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 15:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

So this is why you haven't updated the Mont'au story - I understand now

Greenies are fun and my basic suggestion at 2k would be a big mek, warboss, and then 600pts worth of boyz (could be 100 boyz without upgrades). Then max out on nobz bikerz and bikes from there. That's an army full of stuff you like.
Kalarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 15:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

i know- i picked up a copy of the ork codex and i've just enthralled- but don't worry, I have plans for Mont'au.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If I wuz you, I'd use yer Crisis Suitz as Deffkoptas...just replace yer Missile Pods n Burst Cannons wiv twin-linked big shootas (long-barreled burst cannons or so), one per Crisis suit arm...or fer the buzzsaw suitz, put both shootas on one arm and uze da uva arm fer a buzzsaw. Strap some rokkit packs on da koptas too!
Old 01 Mar 2008, 19:03   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would sudgest Mad Doc Grotsnikk! > He is great 'cause he lets you upgrade any Orks in your army to Cyborks (invulnerable 5+ save). I always upgrade my Nobs, Mega Nobz, and other elites like Tankbustas, with Cybork Bodies to help 'em servive. Latey i have been running a 30 strong Boys unit with Cybork bodies! I attach Mad Doc Grotsnikk to this massive Cybork unit and march strait toward the enemy. Thanks to his "one scalpel short of a medipack" rule he has to do this anyway. His mob marches forward and absorbes most of the enemies firepower! It works great and he always crumps something in the end. Because of his Doks Tools he allows his Invunerable save weilding mates the pleasure of "feel-no-pain". So basically you get two "saves" most of the time. It makes them as servivable as beakies per point! Give the 'Ard Boys 'Upgrade and they are the same price as a Marine but more survivable! Against things that ignore fee-no-pain you still get an invulnerable! Try it it is an "ober" powerfull combination. I fraggin' LOVE this combo but my opponents HATE it! It has more potential if you add a Weirdboy but I have yet to try this. YET. Grotsnikks Cyborks 'O Doom have servived ordanance bombardements, Deamon incursions, Marine rapid fire storms, Tau railgun suppressions, Terminator assault squad strikes, Tyranid Monster stomps and Greater Deamon summonings! I hate to say it but this combo is SO GOOD it is chesse. His "scalpel" rule makes them Fearless too. As powerfull as this unit is it helps to advance in hard cover if possible, this makes 'em better. He and this squad are the Monolith/Halo-Falcon of the Ork Codex. Check it out. My other units don't even have to worry anymore. My enemies have to focus on this squad! >