Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Your chance to influence the Mothman.
Old 24 Feb 2008, 23:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Your chance to influence the Mothman.

So here I am.
Once more lurking these boards, and once more feeling an odd urge to re-start 40k.
I've always liked Orks and am having some serious thoughts about this.
Now, I'm a whimsical person, so please, for the love of all that is good and Green, convince me once and for all, and get my arse to stick to something for once!
Mothman
Old 25 Feb 2008, 00:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Your chance to influence the Mothman.

Well, mate, I can say that we can't make you do anything. However, I can tell you that Orks are a blast to play and build. The new models are grand. For a minimal investment - you could easily make two mobs of 20 boyz with lots of heavy weapons plus 5 burna boyz (buy a box of Orc Warriors, a box of Ork Boyz, and a box of Lootas and bazaam - you've almost got an army). Plus you've got the ability, nay the obligation, to convert everything you can. I am converting my battlewagon from a WWII priest model and two squiggoths (count as Dreadnaughts) from dinosaur model kits. What fun! Then the real fun begins when I plop 100 infantry and three vehicles on the board for 1,500 points and watch as my opponent tries to kill enough boyz for force a legitimate morale check before he gets overrun.

There are precious few things as enjoyable as watching overgrown, enraged, barbaric, intoxicated vegetables hack the Emperor's finest into tiny bits in a furor of bloody mahem. Waaargh!
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 00:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Besides the innate coolness of da Boyz, the ability to scratch build anything you need, the tons of fun conversions, grots, Waaagh-ing at your opponents, and all of those other great reasons to play Orks, one of my favorite parts of them is their brand new codex.

The new codex is friggin' amazing. It's big, full of fluff, and easily the most customizable codex in 40k as of right now. By taking different HQ choices, you can drastically alter the make-up of your army, changing what's considered Troops and not. Example: taking a Warboss allows a mob of Nobz or Mega-Nobz to be taken as Troops. Taking two Warbosses allows two mobs of Nobz or Mega-Nobz to be taken, thus fully satisfying your mandatory Troop requirements, granting you the ability to field an entire army in Mega-Armour. Enter the Deffwing. Or you could field an entire army of Kans and Dreads or a pure bike army or an entire army with Cybork bodies or... or... the list goes on and on. ;D

Another cool thing is that we've got another model release coming-up soon. Have you seen the new Zagstruck model? Yeah. Amazing, ain't it? That model alone is nearly enough to make someone start Orks, isn't it?

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 03:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

They're green skinned drunken soccer rioters in space! What's not to love! Plus you have some excellent opportunities for poorhammer due to the "weld a bunch of scrap together" way orks tend to build stuff. See that flower pot? Perfect base for a stompa! That beer can over there? A potential deffrolla! The neighbour's dog? Did somebody say Squiggoth? ;D
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 03:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=60492.0
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=60766.0
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59311.0

Try any of the three post above...I really like the third one.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 03:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The only potential loss would be if you used to be the type that looted Basilisks in 3rd ed...for now looted wagons have been nerfed considerably. Nevertheless, the humorously large...ahem...gun of the Basilisk could be converted to a Gargant Killcannon or something like that easily.

That said, the new Orks have gained a lot of new options and can actually play a viable shooting army, the average Ork being only 3% less effective in shooting than the average guardsman vs. T3 targets, and just as effective vs. T4 targets if not more (due to the assault nature of Shootas); the Orks also maintain a lot of their original rapid firepower, as well as a frightening speed if mechanized.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 06:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Build an entire force of orks on bikes. Biker orks. 2 warbosses on bikes, with 2x10 nobs on bikes as his troop choices, thats up to 22 bikes, and your HQ/troop requirements are ok. Then add all the fast attack bikes you want. You can have an army that REEKS of bikes.

All your units will then have T5, they are dead 'ard. 4+ save, 4+ cover save, and potentially - for the nobs, a 5+ invul AND feel no pain(!) Thats 20 power claws with twin linked big shootas -thats some 30 hits with S5 (ya, BS2...), racing your direction, attacking in CC with 100 attacks, S9. These guys can take out an army, EVEN if they hit last! Ya, they are expensive. Ya, they are worth it! Ya, they got 2W!

Or buy 150 orks and a warboss, for 1000 points, and just swamp everything.

Want an army of dreadnoughts? Hell, field 5 of them if you will, using all your slots and what you get from your big mek HQ choices.

Want an army of trukks? 6 ramshackle trukks with angry boys as your troops, 2 for your nobs and 3 battle waggons? Thats up to 80 boys in trukks, more if you pack them in the battlewaggons!

Kult of speed? Bikes, trukks, buggies, wartrakks give the Kult good conditions to fight under.

--- Or anything in between.

Oh... and... need to mention: The shock attack gun... >

I rest my case!
Old 25 Feb 2008, 16:35   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Using sizable amounts of large Orkie walkers to stomp at your opponent, seeing his face when you plonk 150+ models on the table and declaring that you still have some things in reserve - and then charging across the board while he hopelessly tries to shoot up enough of them.

Going "Dakka Dakka Dakka!" during your shooting phase and of course screaming "Waaagh!" at the top of your lungs when you charge headlong into combat with no regrets.

Having vast quantities of rokkits firing at a tank and seeing it tumble in a satisfyingly large ball of flame, or krumping it with Power Klaws into skrap metal.

Having impromptu races between your Fast Boyz to see who gets to the fight first(with you making all the "vrooming" sound effects ).

All this, not to mention the crazy conversions of wacko greenskinz doing their best to make the biggest, baddest, loudest Dakka Machine(that usually ends up doing more harm than good! ) makes you realise that honestly, truly and Waaagh! - ly that...

GREEN IZ BEST!

Cheers,
Hawkies
Old 25 Feb 2008, 18:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Is it just me, or has noone said that orks dont lose a battle? Ever? Its not like dying would mean losing, since they were in battle when they died so it didnt count.

Its the only army that cant lose. How's that for argument?
Old 26 Feb 2008, 00:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

You've convinced me.
Next time I'm out and about I'll see if I can nab a Codex, though I'm for certain feeling a warbike army.
And if you don't see a list or minis in a month, I gave you full permission to dismantle me as a human being.
Fish "ead, I'm holding you to this since you live not 20 minutes from my city (IIRC).