Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

kroot mercs
Old 21 Feb 2008, 00:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default kroot mercs

how the hell are you supposed to beat this things? the special rules about going first combined with almsot everything infiltrating and being able to move closer to you if someone rolls well they can practically be behind you. I played against them for fun with teams 3 guys on each team one of i had an eldar an imperial who took space marine allies. the other team had dark eldar and necrons the kroot mercs killed 40 dire avengers 5 kommandoes 10 lootas 10 space marines 6 ork bikes and everything except the the dire avengers was on the charge it took 3 turns of assaulting to kill the hounds and I also had another 3 lootas my warboss with 7 str 10 attacks a sentinal we lost every turn of assaulting except the last one. the kroot guy could have killed everything on 2 turn so he took a squad of 30 hounds that killed 23 orks before my squad could attack back. so if anyone could help me please help!
2k erg test 7:01 145.3 split
6k erg test 18.36 152.8 split
and I am a lightweight
I stroked the boat that won the novice race of Head of the Hooch the 2nd largest regatta in the U.S.A. I can play warhammer because I earned it.
vercingatorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 04:57   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: kroot mercs

Hmm.... dont know what you problem is. Orks should waste kroot merks.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 05:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Burna, loota w/ grot meat shield, shooting, pie plate templates, 'ard boyz w/ charge.

These are a few of my favorite things. ^-^

I haven't looked at the kroot list in a while, I think you should keep in mind, the base kroot has a toughness and inititive of a guardsmen and at best a save of an ork.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 06:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_Ead
Hmm.... dont know what you problem is. Orks should waste kroot merks.
My thoughts exactly.

If you they're eating you up in assault (pun fully intended ;D), don't let them get the charge. Either take advantage of your Waagh move to insure that you get your charge bonus or just don't get in assault situations: hang back and waste them with loads of dakka. Remember that Kroot have the same armour saves as da boyz meaning that everything in our armory, save the Grot Blaster, is going to deny them their armour save.

If getting close is essential - be it you're trying to dislodge a Kroot squad from cover, taking an objective, or you're just getting in touch with your inner Ork - I'd definitely bring some burnas with. Nothing quite tastes as good as space chicken cooked over an open flame.

I'm not too sure what exactally else to say.

Best of luck,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 14:43   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The problem is that unless the mission doesnt allow infiltration they almost always get to go first and assault and kill whatever screen you put there and consolidate into your shooty stuff

if its an all kroot army they can get bonus's for their whole army making them have initiative of 4 and with 30 in a squad thye wipe out everything I have before it gets a chance to go.
and I am a lightweight
I stroked the boat that won the novice race of Head of the Hooch the 2nd largest regatta in the U.S.A. I can play warhammer because I earned it.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 16:48   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If you cant lay down the Dakka on them because of infiltrate take as many slugg boys a possible and swarm 'em. Orks are cheaper than kroot and get more attacks, also take units like Meganobs that the Kroot will have a hard time killing, as they have no power weapons (except shapers with eviscarator that strike last). Take burnas, as someone said and flush 'em out of the woods. Scorcha buggies are good at Kroot BBQ aswell. Take Grots to tarpit their initial assaults, then get the ferious charge with your Ork Boyz. Also Lobba batteries are great against Kroot 'cause their armour is weak. Lobbas dont need line of sight ether and can safely hide far away from the birds. Good luck and I hope you end up wasting kroot like my Ladz do!
Old 23 Feb 2008, 07:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One solution to the Kroot problem is...to get your own Kroot. That's right, with Codex Kroot Mercenaries, you too can field your own units of Kroot Carnivores. And that's not all, we'll also throw in the ability to upgrade your Shaper with Eviscerators. Why wait?

The real enemy of course is not the regular Kroot squad which can only infiltrate within 18+D6 inches of you (generally surrendering the charge to you) but the Kroot Hound Squad, which can make for a nasty swarm unit, fleeting and fragging their way to Kroot Glory...mmm, mmm...tastes like Chicken.

Perhaps the best strategy for dealing with the space-chickens would be to use your infiltrators to create a screen to back their infiltration zone, that you may have more time to shoot everything to nobbly bitz.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 13:38   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

its not 18+d6 it is 18-d6 :'( that it is why it is so nasty,

I kind of tried the idea of backing up his infiltration zone with infiltrators but he rolled a 5 or 6 for his infiltration so he was 12 inches away from me and he got to go first and fleet of foot so he ended up just going around my ifiltrators.

I do see what your saying with loads of boys, the only problem with that is my model collection :-[ otherwise I would have done that
and I am a lightweight
Old 25 Feb 2008, 13:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by vercingatorix
its not 18+d6 it is 18-d6 :'( that it is why it is so nasty,

I kind of tried the idea of backing up his infiltration zone with infiltrators but he rolled a 5 or 6 for his infiltration so he was 12 inches away from me and he got to go first and fleet of foot so he ended up just going around my ifiltrators.

I do see what your saying with loads of boys, the only problem with that is my model collection :-[ otherwise I would have done that
Typo...meant to say -d6. Of course as mentioned, the hound squad is even worse because they have Fleet of Foot on top of it all.

Deffkoptas again are a good expendable screen unit, mainly because when you deploy them as far away as possible from the rest of your force, they create the "bubble" where your opponent cannot infiltrate within. The advantage of course is because of the Scout move, they can then relocate so that they won't be assaulted on Turn 1. That said, they still are nasty as an assault unit if they flank just properly enough that they do enough casualties to deplete their killzone.