Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Feral Orks ..... how do I play them now....since the new codex is out?
Old 19 Feb 2008, 11:21   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Feral Orks ..... how do I play them now....since the new codex is out?

Hi Guys,

I like my Feral Orks and still play them using the old codex. The rules on the GW site are still the same and were written to compliment the old codex.......so playing by the old rules seams the right thing to do.....(cannot get an answer from GW either)

TBH....I've not got a new codex yet....I will though...soonish. I suppose the only things that might affect my army the are in the new codex would be the Grotz and the wargear.

As I understand it grotz are no longer used as a meat shield.( I liked that...thought it was really fluffy them being bullied into being used and abused). Do they have improved BS now? And how much new wargear is there?

Cheers Guys.
BigBaddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2008, 14:59   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Feral Orks ..... how do I play them now....since the new codex is out?

I suggest just restricting yourself on what you choose - only the boss has the power klaw, no fancy vehicles unless they are steam powered, and no fancy guns. Take a weird boy and a load of grots. If you want the squigoth you will need to buy the Ork imperial armour volume.

Just play it fluffyly and you will be able to hammer out the list as you want.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2008, 15:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Feral Orks ..... how do I play them now....since the new codex is out?

Okay, let's break it down...

Warboss:
  • Minimize fancy wargear like Cybork Body, etc.
  • Bike as a counts as Cyboar?

Big Mek:
  • Probably best to leave him out altogether...

Wyrdboy:
  • Very good choice as-is.

Nobz:
  • As Warboss

... and I'm too lazy to finish the rest :P. Leave out things like Burna Boyz, Meganobz, Mega Blasters and Zzap Guns, probably Dreds and Kans as well.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2008, 15:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hm, as for Battlewagons, you can either use a Battlewagon with Deffrolla as a Squigoth, or make it steam-powered.

Stormboys could be riding some sort of crazy, jumping Squig or flying beastie.

But that`s all I can think of right now...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2008, 08:19   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the replies guys....I like to keep my army realy fluffy...just need some clarification as to how the new codex will affect me as I'm increasing the size of my army. I love the idea of Feral Orks riding into battle on some winged beast....super fluffy. I like the idea of steam power....fluffy but also cheesy. Just some thoughts on how I might expand and some ideas for new and fluffy Feral Orks units.

Ladies and Gentlemen may I proudly present

GORBAD IRONKLAW

WarBoss
Powerklaw
Choppa or slugga
Super Cyboar

This give my Boss 7 strength 10 attacks on the charge....which he'll get cause he gets fleet of foot and 12" charge......and 3+ saving throw....all for just 122pts. Bearing in mind that he gets 2 single handed weapons before gets to have his allowance of wargear means I could further beef him up with extra goodies....(but I think some of the wargear is a bit chessy...but mighty useful though..perhaps some frags or kraks and a pole, perhaps teeth too)....he'd be modeled on Gorbad Ironclaw (very slight name change)from the fantasy kit.....I'd think he'd look cool and play hard. A little points heavy but you only get ONE PK in a Feral Army so I'll make the most of it, his save should keep him safe, and with a movement of 6" + D1 plus his 12" (7 - 24" movement in total) charge it won't be too long before he gets into hand to hand.

I'd stick him in a mob of 10 Boar Boyz all riding Cyboars to benifit from that RED button @170pts.

I've been trying out Boar or Cyboar Chariots....based on fantasy models. A bit like a buggy, can have big shooters, rokkits or burners and moves 6" with a 12" charge and fleet of foot. cost somewhere around 40 - 45pts (Including weapons) with a +1CC attack due to the nature of those angry boars.

Also working on a Mukk Chukka or Dung Bunga........a catapult that lobs, boar and squiggoth dung at your enimies. Dung can be corrosive agianst armour, cause blindness, the smell could force enimies to fall back....etc etc.
........think of it as a big gun and it should be about right....looking into fluff behind the dung.......you might use a different template for each type of dung.....the flamer one for the really runny stuff....lol....sorry about that but you know what it's like...don't want any on me .

Then there's the Shaman....he could issue "SHROOMS" combat drugs (like dark eldar use) to the boyz (maybe just MadBoyz or Wild Boyz). I like the fantasy figure Shaman with the "Big Bone"...perhaps he could swings this around....hitting enimies in a 360 degree radius from himself using a blast template. He could bash the ground with it to cause a mini earth quake. Then he could just strike a termie with it reducing it to scrap.

Taking the idea of orks on winged beasts a little further, I think sticking a winged beast in as wargear would be great option too.

Thoughts please.......also, can anyone tell me what's happen to grotz in the new codex.........has there BS improved?
Old 20 Feb 2008, 10:25   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Trukks / Trakks work just fine as Junka-Trukks. The Battle Wagon rules could be used for a Squiggoth (give it a Deff Roller so it can harm people in melee).

The Mekboy becomes a "Boila Boy", though he should avoid the high-end gubbins like Shokk Attack Gunz.

The Bike = Boar idea isn't a bad one.

Kommandos could make good Wildboyz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2008, 11:16   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've modeled most of my feral army using a mix of 40K and Fantasy, so I'm not after proxy units....just try to get some clarification on which codex I should be using along side the Feral Orks lists on the GW site, as these list were written with the old codex.

Old 20 Feb 2008, 15:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You're going to have to use the current codex - no? I think that the key is to try to stay away from some of the more high-tech options, and come up with reasonable 'counts as' selections.

So, for your HQ's...

No Big Meks at all.

Wierd Boyz, great as is.

War Boss - no Power Klaws or Mega armour ofcourse. Keep the missile weapons to the low end of the spectrum - Burnas would be fine, I think.

Grots - fine as is - they're BS3 now. You could even use Fantasy goblins with bows, and say that they shoot explosive tipped arrows, or whatever.

Boyz - again Fantasy models. Keep your units with slugga/choppa. You could use Rugluds boyz with crossbows for sluggas, or even sprinkle in a few ArrerBoyz.

Bikes = Boars... just play them as armoured, and the whole smoke screen thing could be explained by wild flatulence.

Buggies = chariots - maybe with metal boars. graft on some shootas.

Lobbas = RockLobbas, Kannons = Spear Chukkas. Again - it's the ammo that makes the difference in effect. So model some sort of bomb instead of a rock and add a nifty warhead to the bolt.
Kazadvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 20:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I haven't seen the new 'dex yet - but pretty much all of the suggestions above are fairly good. Here are some other ideas:

Kommandos = Trappas
Shoota Boyz = Huntas
Dreadnaught = Small / Medium Squiggoth with cyber-steam enhancements (I never liked the Ork dreadnaught models either)
Battlewagons = Large Squiggoth as above
Deffkoptas = Orks riding captured flying creatures (flying squigs, saurus type creatures, etc)

Keep in mind that Pig-Doks are pretty much a blend of Meks and Doks...so if you can come up with some sort of cybernetically-enhanced beast or steam powered vehicle you're pretty much good to go.

Enjoy.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 00:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I used to run 60 madboys, 20 huntas, a warboss with klaw with cyboar bodyguard, 1 gargantuan squiggoth, 1 large squiggoth and 20 grots.

I now run the madboys as sluggas, the huntas as shootas, the warboss+buddies as bikes, the grots as grots and the squiggoths as either IA or apoc. squiggoths.

Its really a no-brainer.