Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A couple questions, and a 500pt list from a newber
Old 17 Feb 2008, 02:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default A couple questions, and a 500pt list from a newber

So im a table top newb.. this is my first time to do it and ive decided on the Orks as my first army.

I had a couple quick questions:

1) The 10 Boyz box set.. does the sprue come with any parts to make 'ard boyz? One thing im dead set on doing is having a full 30 ork mob of 'ard boyz. Also, how many shootas does it come with? Im having trouble finding this info anywhere.

2) Assuming the 10 Boyz box set doesnt come with many, or any, 'ard boyz parts or shootas.. what do you think would be the best (cheapest) way to get the parts needed for 30 'ard boyz with shootas?

3) Will there be "official" models released for the special ork characters? (e.g. Snikrot) or is it pretty much up to use to do a conversion?

Thanks!

I was also wondering if I could get some input on this 500pts list ive created as my first "goal" with the army. Is it viable? Does it have some glaring weaknesses? Anything you can point out would be helpful.

--HQ--
1 Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field & 'eavy Armor

--ELITE--
10x Lootas

--TROOPS--
20x 'Ard Boyz w/2x Rokkits
10x Gretchin w1x Runtherd

500pts

I figure the Big Mek will hang back with my Lootas and provide them with the 5+ save.. the Gretchin will soak up a smidge of damage while the 'Ard Boyz close in to shootin range and the Lootas lay down a hail of dakka.
Corbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2008, 02:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: A couple questions, and a 500pt list from a newber

a couple of quick responses:

Q:

1) The 10 Boyz box set.. does the sprue come with any parts to make 'ard boyz? One thing im dead set on doing is having a full 30 ork mob of 'ard boyz. Also, how many shootas does it come with? Im having trouble finding this info anywhere.

A: NO - you DECLARE them the ard boyz - and it is just a good idea to represent this as in give them all cool bitz like shoulder pads to show there a bit harder - or we did a group where they all had the iron jaw bit somehow strapped to there head, or we did another one where they all had the welding mask and we painted skullz on them!
just make em look 'ARD - to do this i say get 3 boxes of boyz (unless you need other stuff then a battleforce or spearhead night be smarter) and best spot to get them is probably from emailing tauorders@gorillatactics.org

Q:

3) Will there be "official" models released for the special ork characters? (e.g. Snikrot) or is it pretty much up to use to do a conversion?

A:

as we know it there is one for the cool jump pack guy - but the others are not on the chatter net yet. plus, it is way cooler to make a snikrot - weve seen some nice feral ork / kommado looking nobz with the right weapons made; become a really good snikrot!

response to 500point list you have:

it seems like a nice list, but id need to say that you need 1 nob with powerclaw in the ard boyz, and you need to have 2 seperate squads of lootas with a mek with fusion gun in each squad - this gives you the ability to shoot 2 different targets with 4 big guns each and in a 500 point game, this is really helpfull on turn 1 & 2 especially.
also the big mek is cool, but think some about using the big mek - who does he gaurd? - and is he standing still? a warboss with a claw can actually run up behind the ard boyz and wreck house...whill the shooty lootas lay down cover....and of coarse the gretchin are speedbumps!
Old 17 Feb 2008, 02:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

oh yeah - the ork boy kitz have enough arms to do shootas or sluggas + choppas for each ork. those are easy to come by, so dont worry about needing some massive bitz pile to do the 30 ard boyz.

and while we are on it - none of us have ever seen the 30 ard boyz actually fielded, and you got our 3 ork players here wanting to try it! sounds cool to say at least!

Old 17 Feb 2008, 03:11   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks GorillaTactics useful info... though it just leads to some followup questions . Hope ya dont mind.

1) I like the advice to split up the Lootas and give each squad a Mek with a fusion gun.. however.. I dont have "Fusion Gun" as a possible upgrade for a Mek in a Loota squad. There some special rules that arent in the Codex? ..Just curious cause ive seen some people mention stuff and ive no idea where they came up with it cause im not seeing it in the Codex here.

2) On the 'Ard Boyz.. I really want to have all of them with the Iron Jaw.. some kind of cool helmet/face-plate ..and spikey shoulderpads. Any advice on the best way to get that kind of stuff in bulk? Nob squad boxes maybe?

About the Big Mek... I went with him specifically because he was cheap and I could use the Kustom Force Field to give my Lootas a little bit of protection from whatever long ranged units my opponent is fielding. I wouldnt MIND going with a Warboss instead.. but id have to cut down the size of either my 'ard boyz or my lootas.. and id have to be much more careful with my Lootas, as they have just the 6+ armor save.

Old 17 Feb 2008, 03:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbie
Thanks GorillaTactics useful info... though it just leads to some followup questions . Hope ya dont mind.

1) I like the advice to split up the Lootas and give each squad a Mek with a fusion gun.. however.. I dont have "Fusion Gun" as a possible upgrade for a Mek in a Loota squad. There some special rules that arent in the Codex? ..Just curious cause ive seen some people mention stuff and ive no idea where they came up with it cause im not seeing it in the Codex here.

2) On the 'Ard Boyz.. I really want to have all of them with the Iron Jaw.. some kind of cool helmet/face-plate ..and spikey shoulderpads. Any advice on the best way to get that kind of stuff in bulk? Nob squad boxes maybe?

About the Big Mek... I went with him specifically because he was cheap and I could use the Kustom Force Field to give my Lootas a little bit of protection from whatever long ranged units my opponent is fielding. I wouldnt MIND going with a Warboss instead.. but id have to cut down the size of either my 'ard boyz or my lootas.. and id have to be much more careful with my Lootas, as they have just the 6+ armor save.

1)When he says 'fusion gun' he probably means kustom mega blasta.

2)A few iron gobs and armour plates come on the ork boyz sprues, so you can make a few fully rigged-up ardboys from there. For more armour you could raid your friend's bitz boxes for spare space marine shoulderpads and other useful gubbins. Consider investing in some plasticard, probably the cheapest way of making a lot of ork armour plates.

3)The lootas probably wont need the kustom force field's protection since they all have 48" range. You should be pretty confident that if you dump them in terrain, theyre going to be able to shoot prettymuch anything on the board in a 500pt game, so the KFF would really only be useful if you ended up with absolutely no terrain in or near your deployment zone. A warboss would be useful, but costly, and his ld. bonus would be neglected in a 30-strong mob of orks. Consider running a weirdboy with the ardboys for some nice potential ranged attacks.

Old 17 Feb 2008, 08:24   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
So im a table top newb.. this is my first time to do it and ive decided on the Orks as my first army.
Welcome ot the board, welcome to the hobby, and welcome to the only army you will ever need. Period.
Quote:

Like GT and waargh have already pointed out - you get some plates and gobs and other similar gubbins for 'ard boys. But not enough to give them all 2 plates each - I think it was in the region of one shoulder pad apiece in the actual box. However, if you find yourself a hobby shop and pick up a couple of sheets of plasticard you can make your own shoulder pads with nothing more than a pair of scissors and patience. Paint them up and they look the part - especially when you intermingle them with the proper plastic bits.

And the plasticard is like 50p a sheet - you have no excuses.

And don't worry about the shootas - if your like me after a while collecting them you'll have them coming out of your ears. And yes - you do get enough to arm the entire mob with shootas, as well as the special weapon allowed per 10 orks, and the nob with his weapon options, and other incredibly cool parts. GW has definately done a decent job on the box. (and I was one complaining a month or 2 ago...)

Quote:
2) Assuming the 10 Boyz box set doesnt come with many, or any, 'ard boyz parts or shootas.. what do you think would be the best (cheapest) way to get the parts needed for 30 'ard boyz with shootas?
Just nswered that above :P anyways - just keep scrounging as many parts as you can from your fellow hobbiests. This isn't just for teh 'ard boyz - but just general advice you should follow when your an ork - almost any part can be turned into something useful.

Quote:
You have to do a conversion. But hey, thats okay - it's what being an ork is all about.

[hr]

Anyways - enough of my dribbling
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 04:53   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well now that I have my 500pt list pretty much ironed out...

(HQ)
- Weirdboy w/Warphead

(EL)
- 4 Lootas + Mek
- 4 Lootas + Mek

(TR)
- 19 'ard Boyz + 1 Nob w/Bosspole
- 10 Gretchin w/ Runtherd

Now im trying to figure out the "final product".. which is my 2000pt army list.. and it is surprisingly much more difficult.

Here is my issue.. im trying to make a "fluffy" Death Skulls army. So Lootas and Flash Gitz are my "core".. WELL.. one full Flash Gitz mob with 2 of their special abilities costs 350+ points.

The problem im running into is that if I include 2 mobs of Flash Gitz at that price..and 2 mobs of Lootas.. and then about 250 pts worth of HQ..im already above 1500 points. I havent even got any Boyz yet! Add in a full mob of boyz and a full mob of 'ard boyz..each with a nob and 3 rokkits.. and now im above 2000 points. I dont even have vehicles at this point.. and definatly dont have any room to throw in a group of tankbustas or kommandos with snikrot.. or anything fun like that.

I think my problem is that im trying to be too versatile...maybe I should stop trying to field a second mob of boyz and just stick with the 30 'ard boyz? Or perhaps im too caught up on the idea of "full mobs".. perhaps only 10 lootas per mob instead of 15?

Im not sure.. and I dont want to post too much information here cause I know its not "legal". So my question is.. can you give me any advice on where I can cut corners... maybe give me an idea of how you build your Loota or Flash Gitz mobs.. or even, if ya feel like it, how you would build a death skulls army?

Any help at all is appreciated Thanks!
Old 18 Feb 2008, 07:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Death Skulls:
- Core Units: Lootas;
- Common Units: Looted wagons;
- Rare Units: Flashgits, stormboyz and Kommandos
- Fluff: Lots of blue paint and meks.

With that said you can drop the flashgits completely since they are rarely seen in a deathskull army or simply take one unit of them. Put your main effort into lootas and looted wagons. I would also have the army being lead by two meks. One with a KFF and the other with a SAG. "The Death Skulls are notoriously superstitious and often paint their skin blue to bring them luck, believing this habit earns them the attention of the Ork war gods, and thus brings them better fortune in the field of plunder." Thus use the blue warpaint to represent cybork bodies. Other units that fit in well would consider are burnas since they have meks in them, and deffkoptas due to the fact that the meks build them. Death Skulls scream for a Mekanized Mek army in my mind.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 09:58   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmm..thanks for pointing that out.. when reading the fluff I mistook the Bad Moons for the Death Skulls in the Flash Gitz section.

A large contingent of DeffKoptas is one thing I definatly wanted to include. Actually I plan on using the DeffKoptas and some Big Guns as my main tank killing units.

I would definatly like to include a looted wagon as well.. and I saw a really great conversion of a Tau Hammerhead for Ork use.

As for the led by two meks thing.. eh.. I may consider it..since I dont really need any of the "you can take one "unit X" in a troops spot" rules that you get from Warbosses and such, and the KFF and SAG would be nice additions. I dont really see Death Skulls as a Mek army though. In the fluff it actually says that they WOULD make excellent engineers if they had the attention span for it.. which leads me to believe that they would NOT be a Mek heavy army. Really..since they loot everything.. id say you can probably go with whatever theme you wanted for Death Skulls and you could explain it away as "something they looted".

But Lootas, DeffKoptas, Looted Wagon, and 'ard boyz are the units im looking at as the centerpiece of my army I think. I may still take a mob of Flash Gitz just because I think they would be a good representation of "the lootiest lootas in Death Skulls" heh.

Thanks for your input Hyena, it helped alot.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 14:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Engineers...Mechanics;
Engineers...Mekanics;
Engineers...Meks;
Engineers...Fix things;
Engineers...Design Things;
Meks...Fix Things;
Meks...Design Things;

Food for thought.

Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote