Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Grotz
Old 09 Feb 2008, 16:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Grotz

Is it possible to send an entire army of grots as they are good at shooting and can tie up enemy squads for 2 turns with 30 of them..

If you want a sig like this give, Hadhfang a PM http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/Ushar1/Orkwarrior-1.jpg[/img]
OrkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2008, 16:13   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Grotz

Well - no, it isn't possible to have an entire army of grots - theres no HQ choice.

However, you could always use a weirdboy and claim that it is a boy gone insane seeing grots as boyz. Or a warboss that is in fact a Killa kan. Other than that you just have to use your immagination - trakks that are driven by a grot crew, a battle wagon with a gaggle of grots controlling it, big gunz with slavers or meks, and of course loads of killa kans, or maybe even a dread. The herders can be seen as bigger and fatter grots bullying the smaller ones.

Use your imagination man. But be warned - your going to need loads!! And that means finding an alternative from the metal models which are expensive.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2008, 16:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you look into Ork fluff you will find that Mekboyz, Wierdboyz and Grots tend to live together since they all are outcasts. With that siad go for a Ork Git Army instead

HQ - Mega Armoured WarGrot
HQ - Big Meks
Elites - Mega Armoured Grots
Troops - Grots with Bigger/Fat grots being the Herders
Fast - Warbuggies manned by grots.
Fast - Deffkoptas
Heavy - Killa Khans
Heavy - Big Guns manned by orks with a grot as the slavers

I would even go as far as to include Blood Axe Kommandos in a Git Army since they are not trusted at all by other Orks.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 05:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One way to do Grots is to mix and match Night Goblin and Gnoblar plastic bitz with plastic Guard bitz...

Come to think of it, a long time ago on The-Waaagh, there was this one guy who made a Rebel Grot army using Imperial Guard rules. He used Anti-Tank Squads to represent Kannon teams (one team consisted of a Grot busy eating mushrooms while the other was telling him to get back to the cannon before the boss came around), his rank-and-file Grots all carried lasguns, he used Rough Rider rules for Goblin Wolf Riders with Bangstikks, Goblin Shaman rules for the Psyker, and a general Gobbo with a Commissar hat that was too big for him. ;D
Old 13 Feb 2008, 14:43   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I recently played an army of grotz led by a warboss and nobz his list was
180 grotz with slavers
battlewagon 8 nobs and warboss all with heavy armor adn big choppas
3 killer kans with grotzookas
8 lootas
3 buggies
I am an ork player that runs speed freek mixed with shooty so I got kind of owned because of some bad rolling and I couldn't kill that many grotz >
2k erg test 7:01 145.3 split
6k erg test 18.36 152.8 split
and I am a lightweight
I stroked the boat that won the novice race of Head of the Hooch the 2nd largest regatta in the U.S.A. I can play warhammer because I earned it.
vercingatorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2008, 19:08   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

the serious disadvantage with taking buckets of grots is in the weapons they carry - if the meat of any army is it's infantry, what good is that infantry if they have 12" range weapons?? If you fighting something along hte lines of tau of entrenched guard then you aren't going to be getting off enough shots to be able to whittle down the numbers and win the game.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2008, 19:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

no! not gablarz use the actual goblin regimants twenty models for 18 hello!
any way heres my thoughts:

hq1- buy gazskull and repalce the ork head with a grot crewing the suit.warboss!
hq2- a red gobbo for warboss
elite1-flash grotz with bling and they are carring a very bling shoota
elite2- komandos.just model a grot ono the shoulder of another with a imerial tankgreat coat on the grotz!
troops-GROTZ
fast- grots with rokkits on their backs!
heavy killa kans with grotzookaz!

two of the best film quotes EVER:

One crow, sorrow. Two crows, joy. Three crows, a letter! Four crows, a boy. Five crows, silver. Six crows, gold! Seven crows, a secret never to be told.

Congratulations, Monkey! You just bought yourself a fighting chance!
jacktheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2008, 21:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blue worm.
no! not gablarz use the actual goblin regimants twenty models for 18 hello!
any way heres my thoughts:

hq1- buy gazskull and repalce the ork head with a grot crewing the suit.warboss!
hq2- a red gobbo for warboss
elite1-flash grotz with bling and they are carring a very bling shoota
elite2- komandos.just model a grot ono the shoulder of another with a imerial tankgreat coat on the grotz!
troops-GROTZ
fast- grots with rokkits on their backs!
heavy killa kans with grotzookaz!
Ouch. Bad spelling damage...the reason I suggested the Gnoblar body is because of this quote taken directly from The-Waaagh (part 5 of Da Battlewagon FAQ: Modeling Vehicle Accessories)

"Riggers are frequently represented by the metal Grot crew miniatures that come with the Ork artillery models. Grot infantry miniatures can be converted by replacing their weapons with tools, although many modellers use them unconverted. There are at present no suitable Grot models in plastic, but the Warhammer Goblins and Night Goblins can be converted into passable WH40k Grots without too much trouble. They are larger than the metal Grots and clearly sculpted as fantasy models, so some people dislike using them. The Warhammer Gnoblars are closer in size to the metal Grots, and have a similarly weedy physique. Gnoblar heads are noticeably different to Grot heads, so you will need to replace them with smaller heads. Some of the plastic Goblin heads are suitable."

The idea is Grotz need to be weedy and Gnoblars have the body for that; just replace the Gnoblar head with a Gobbo head and you're good.

Old 13 Feb 2008, 22:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

yeah and we are all made of money...that would mean buying both gnoblars and goblins but not using goblin bodies and gnoblar heads. I used goblins with various looted pistols/weapons for grots and for units such as ammo runts oilers I used gnoblars, since they are smaller, and some even are carrying sacks and various items on their backs. They both have their place.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2008, 03:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
yeah and we are all made of money...that would mean buying both gnoblars and goblins but not using goblin bodies and gnoblar heads. I used goblins with various looted pistols/weapons for grots and for units such as ammo runts oilers I used gnoblars, since they are smaller, and some even are carrying sacks and various items on their backs. They both have their place.
Nah, the only people made of money are those who play Wraithguard-heavy Iyanden. :P There's a little thing we call trading bitz; the plastic sprues tend to give us a lot of leftovers when we're assembling stuff and such is the nature of the group I was in (we had at least 3 Lost and Damned players, and 2 Ork players, so we were extraordinarily conversion-happy) that if you're in a group that collects the proper models that trading stuff around should be easy enough.

Of course, we also had a few particularly...generous members of the group that made it rather fun for all. Tuna in particular (proud owner of Cybertuna.net) once held a "paint my miniatures" party and gave away random prizes including his Bitz Box (I won a Sentinel walker), which of course prompted more trading around.