Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lootas or Burnas
View Poll Results: I bought a spearhead box. What would you suggest? Lootas or Burnas.
Build 5 lootas 12 54.55%
Build 5 burnas 7 31.82%
Build a few of both 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09 Feb 2008, 15:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Lootas or Burnas

Well, I am starting an Ork army and bought the Ork Spearhead box. ;D I like both the Lootas and burnas but don't know which to start with. I also got ahold of an old battlebox with 5 bikes. Hee, Hee, 22 boys, 8 bikes, 2 trucks, 1 wartrak and great models!
Dadus Oldmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2008, 16:19   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Lootas or Burnas

I would say it depends on your lit - if you are wanting a speed freak army then take the burna boyz to jump out of the trukk as an assassin unit with their power weapons. However, if you have a regular footslogging army then I would take the lootas simply because of their range and firepower.

EDIT: if you can figure out how, pin the weapons instead of gluing them so you can switch between the two.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2008, 16:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Forgo on the pinning and pick one for now. Later when you can buy another box of boys or even the four pack box of boys make the other four. Also if you go with a speed freek army then your burnas are going to need a looted wagon or battle wagon which means another model. With that said I would make the Lootas since they work great in small squads. As for the mek I would give him a bigshoota as you could also use him as a regular boy with a big shoota.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2008, 17:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The other time I'd suggest taking burnas is if you're going for a Dreadmob, and want to screen your army with Killa Kans. In this case, a unit of 3 Meks and 2 Burnas works nicely if kept behind the Kans.
Old 09 Feb 2008, 17:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd say if you're just starting out then go with Lootas. I view them as more of an all around unit, they can fit easily into any list, where Burnas are geared more towards specific lists. I like them both also, but I think you'll find you'll get more use out of Lootas.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 02:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

You can easily build 4 lootas, 4 burnas and 1 mek out of that box. You could even use the heavy weapons on the sprue to make a boy with rokkit launcha and a boy with a big shoota. All you need is to take the legs, torso and heads from a regular boyz sprue. Quite the nifty box there.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 04:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

I'd buy another box of boyz and make both, personally.

If I had to choose just one, I'd go with the Burnaz. I even have a couple of reasons to back me up:
-Burnaz excel at horde control. Nothing quite says "Zog Off!" like 30 flame templates. ;D
-The ability to use them as power weapons on turns you didn't shoot is pricesless. 30 friggin' power weapons is enought to even make the Deathwing shake in their over-sized adamantium boots.
-They look wicked cool. The Lootas do, too, but I'm not the biggest fan of the backpack/shoulder mount. I don't play as many games as I'd like to, so looks are pretty important to me.

Looking at what you've got, though, I'd probably suggest actually taking the Lootas. With so few boyz, the extra dakka you can pump out should really help.

Hope that helped,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2008, 02:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

Burnas all the way!!! my main opponents are marines and nids and burnas excel at facing both.

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2008, 09:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It ALL depends on the rest of your army. Need a defensive, reactionary unit, or a long range dakka fortress?
Old 13 Feb 2008, 03:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Get a orc regiment box set and use all the parts to build them all.
This way if need some extra burnas in other mobs you have some extra.

Plus you get some cool extra bitz and heads.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote