Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Orks
Old 08 Feb 2008, 21:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default New to Orks

So with the introduction of the new codex, the up coming new edition, and the availability of the Gorkamoka books; I have bit the bullet and decided to start an Ork army. The only problem is I am used to running shootie army; I am not sure how to structure an Ork army of the new codex.

What is the proper balance of boyz, is 12 to few to take causalities and be effective in HTH? I personally am a believer in full squads.

What is more effective the power klaw or the big choppa? In the environment of sm armor saves are the norm, and the initiative of the average lad is less than a hummie. This can be offset with the addition of brunas, it is just hard change over to the power klaw.

How effective would a squad of 5 nobz on bikes and a dok? Is this a point’s sink? Should they all have pk or should 2 have a pk?

Any assistance rendered would be appreciated.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.”
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2008, 18:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New to Orks

12 Boyz would be fine in a Trukk, not on foot. If you're going on foot then I'd suggest no less then 20 boyz. That will let you absorb some shots while still remaining fearless and having a good number of attacks when you reach CC. Bosspoles are handy to take in most any unit also.

Klaw and big choppa, each have their use. If you want to strike before them beakies, then the big choppa is great for it, however they're getting that 3+ save, even if you are wounding on 2's. I think the big choppa is better suited for opponents with weaker armor saves. PKs are great, and every list should include a few. This is where your mob of 20 boyz, minimal, comes in. Give your Nob a PK and let the boyz soak up the wounds, then unleash the PK.

Nobz on bikes with a Dok is a tough unit, no doubt about it, but it's a pricey unit and something I'd only consider in larger games. In a unit this size, I'd only give one a PK then throw in a few big choppas for easy wounds.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 02:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

The other advantage to taking full squads is you get to take more heavy weapons, which is definitely a plus if you're going to run a shooty list.

A nob biker unit is dead 'ard, but alternately you could try regular warbikers who are also really good. And since you can get about 2 warbikers for the same points as one nob biker they work out to be twice as shooty, and you can still buy one nob with a power klaw to lead this unit.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 04:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogal Dorn 1
So with the introduction of the new codex, the up coming new edition, and the availability of the Gorkamoka books; I have bit the bullet and decided to start an Ork army. The only problem is I am used to running shootie army; I am not sure how to structure an Ork army of the new codex.
Congratulations on making the plunge. Hopefully you'll have a ton of fun. On the subject of shooty armies, it's entirely possible to run a shooty Ork army, if you so desired. You may be able to krump more gits in CC than most CC-centered armies, but you'll still be pretty shooty.

Quote:
What is the proper balance of boyz, is 12 to few to take causalities and be effective in HTH? I personally am a believer in full squads.
In my opinion, twelve is way too small, unless you're running your boyz in Trukkz (in which case, that's all you can have). My foot-slogging boyz are usually deployed in mobs of twenty, but I'd prefer them to be beefed up to thirty boy mobs. Twenty, in my opinion, is the bare minimum.

Quote:
What is more effective the power klaw or the big choppa? In the environment of sm armor saves are the norm, and the initiative of the average lad is less than a hummie. This can be offset with the addition of brunas, it is just hard change over to the power klaw.
If you're playing in a MEQ rich environment, then odds are you won't be encountering many tanks (at least compared to playing against Guard all of the time). Because of this I'd definitely take the Big Choppa over the Klaw. You'll save some points and still be able to do some serious krumppin'. Mind you, you'll always want a Klaw or two in your list, though, just to make sure you can handle the guy who just set down four Land Raiders on the table.

As for the Burnaz, I love those little buggers. Templates and the ability to use them as power weapons on turns you're not shooting make them priceless, in my eyes. I definitely plan on running a mob of them.

Quote:
How effective would a squad of 5 nobz on bikes and a dok? Is this a point’s sink? Should they all have pk or should 2 have a pk?
That can be a fearsome unit, but so is it's price tag. I'd only consider running a mob like this in high point level games, but I'd go all out on them: bionikz and Klaws for all! There was a thread a little while ago where a Tau player accused the Biker Nobz of being pure cheddar because he spent X turns unloading his entire army on them and they refused to die. It should be a page to two back and you might want to check it out.

So while the a mob of Bionork Biker Nobz are dead killy, you might want to look at a normal mob of Bikerz first, especially for game size you'll be playing in as you start out.

Hopefully that was helpful and best of luck on your army,

-Grandpa Ducky

[Actually, here's a linky to that thread. I'm feeling nice. ]

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 14:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ducky
Quote:
Congratulations on making the plunge. Hopefully you'll have a ton of fun. On the subject of shooty armies, it's entirely possible to run a shooty Ork army, if you so desired. You may be able to krump more gits in CC than most CC-centered armies, but you'll still be pretty shooty.

Quote:
In my opinion, twelve is way too small, unless you're running your boyz in Trukkz (in which case, that's all you can have). My foot-slogging boyz are usually deployed in mobs of twenty, but I'd prefer them to be beefed up to thirty boy mobs. Twenty, in my opinion, is the bare minimum.

Quote:
If you're playing in a MEQ rich environment, then odds are you won't be encountering many tanks (at least compared to playing against Guard all of the time). Because of this I'd definitely take the Big Choppa over the Klaw. You'll save some points and still be able to do some serious krumppin'. Mind you, you'll always want a Klaw or two in your list, though, just to make sure you can handle the guy who just set down four Land Raiders on the table.

As for the Burnaz, I love those little buggers. Templates and the ability to use them as power weapons on turns you're not shooting make them priceless, in my eyes. I definitely plan on running a mob of them.

Quote:
That can be a fearsome unit, but so is it's price tag. I'd only consider running a mob like this in high point level games, but I'd go all out on them: bionikz and Klaws for all! There was a thread a little while ago where a Tau player accused the Biker Nobz of being pure cheddar because he spent X turns unloading his entire army on them and they refused to die. It should be a page to two back and you might want to check it out.

So while the a mob of Bionork Biker Nobz are dead killy, you might want to look at a normal mob of Bikerz first, especially for game size you'll be playing in as you start out.

Hopefully that was helpful and best of luck on your army,

-Grandpa Ducky

[Actually, here's a linky to that thread. I'm feeling nice. ]

I think that I am going to go with HTH heavy army w/ some shootie support elements (defgunz, looted ride, posibly a shockgun.)

The way I am understanding your train of thought the PK is used as an anti ride weapon, instead of an anti SM weapon.

I fully intend to integrate some defkoppta in the list when I have a chance.

Which is better a Big Mek for the use of the shockgun; or a Weird boy for the chance to get an additonal Waaaagh?
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.”
Old 11 Feb 2008, 14:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

On bikes, a PK is great for taking out armor because of their speed and ability to slam into rear armor. It, of course, is a great anti-beakie weapon too. It's just not an ideal weapon, in my view, in smaller units where you won't be swinging first.

Either HQ choice is good, depends on what you want to do though. Really can't say one is better then the other though.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 14:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

"But Ducky" replied the voice of dissent; "they's Orks anyways. They ain'ts gonna go first anyways vs. Beakies, and da Klaw is better fer krumping Beakies and Terminators."

Remember, if you're doing a large mob with a meatshield of Orks, then the Nob isn't an independent character and cannot be targeted until all the Boyz around him bite it; until then, he'll be able to strike back in general and the Powerfist is a lot better for killing Marines as Power armor always has that annoying tendency to save...
Old 11 Feb 2008, 16:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJuggler
Power armor always has that annoying tendency to save...
Quite....

I was actualy just toying w/ the nobz idea, I will probably have the primary HQ on a warbike ala my old space marine HQ (Chaplain on bike w/ power fist, it aways got it's points back.)