Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Nobs
Old 03 Feb 2008, 21:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex
Default Nobs

So what do you guys think of the new nobs? With a painboss and cheap armour options and not having to be taken as a retinue they seem like a rather well-priced, hard hitting and resilient unit. Striking at I4 with WS5 can be huge against marines, and that power klaw hitting on 3's, yeeeouch! Big choppas ain't bad either, and you got kombi-skorchas to light things up.

I think they're great and can really go beyond the regular boyz in a few cases, for example against marines and genestealers. Oh and let's not forget the option to take another battlewagon as a dedicated transport.

With the loss of the old cyborks unit with a painboss, cybernobs seem like they're in order and would make for some great conversions.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2008, 21:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Nobs

Personally I find the Nobs to be over priced when you consider one with a PK cost 45pts which is more expensive than a MegaArmoured Nob. With that said I would only consider taking a mob of them all kitted out with Big Choppas and MAYBE one PK nob in the mix if I knew I was going up agaist power armour. I would also consider a painboss a must because without one Nobs drop just as fast as a regular boy.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2008, 22:12   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I personally find Nobz to be one hell of a hard hitting unit - for not as much as Hyena made out (seriously - is there any need for the 3?). Despite the lack of the good old choppa 4+ ruling the nobz can still dish out some delicious damage without having to rely on power klaws (they were sooo last edition!). Big choppas make the nobz wound marines on 2+ even after the effect of furious charge has been lost. Combine it with eavy armour to greatly increase survivability and a unit of 5 will set you back 150 points, or 125 if you reckon you can do without the eavy armour. Thats 150 points for a total of 10 wounds and 15 strength 7 attacks on the charge! Couple it with a waargh banner and you are going to be rolling buckets of dice with low chances of failing. Who needs choppas?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2008, 01:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

PK Nob vs Meganob:

PK Nob:
- is in a unit that can have less costly ablative wounds.
- unit can have feel no pain and invulnerable saves.
- does not suffer from the slow and purposeful rules, which are lame to the extreme.
- has +1 attack from a slugga.
- can have WS5, hitting on 3's against WS4 opponent's like marines.
- can fit more in a wartrukk.

Meganob:
- has a 2+ save
- better shooting
- everyone has a power klaw

On another comparison, 2 PK Nobs with a waaagh banner and charging costs 105 points, has 10 attacks hitting on 3's against marines. 3 Meganobs cost 120 points, have 9 attacks and hit only on 4's against marines.

So now that I'm done making the comparison, I believe 45 points is fair for a PK nob. Same price as last edition and everybody had them in their armies.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
Old 04 Feb 2008, 02:23   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I believe that mega nobs are more worth it because the 2 plus save and if you wanted to have a hard hitting unit I think a combination would be a good Idea in a truck it would only be for higher games but something like
3 nobz painboy big choppas cybork body waaagh! banner
3 meganobz 120
but all of those together in a truck and the nobz with invuls can take the wounds and the mega armored can take the non power weapons essentially combing the strenghs and weakness of each unit for a unit that has on the charge 15 str 5 in 4 WS 5 feel no pain 5+ invul and 12 pk WS 4 str 9 or 10 I don't know whether or not you add 1 str than double it or double it than add one. Its a pretty nasty unit for 250 pts plus transport
2k erg test 7:01 145.3 split
6k erg test 18.36 152.8 split
and I am a lightweight
I stroked the boat that won the novice race of Head of the Hooch the 2nd largest regatta in the U.S.A. I can play warhammer because I earned it.
vercingatorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2008, 05:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You can't put them both in the same trukk, however you could run two separate trukks to get them both on the same unit.

The +1 strength for charging is not doubled from the power klaw, this is covered in the main rulebook where it states only the base strength is doubled and any further modifiers are added on top.
Old 04 Feb 2008, 13:53   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

you could put them all in a looted wagon however and have the stuff with invuls attack the seargent side of the squad and the guys without attack the normal stuff correct?
and I am a lightweight
I stroked the boat that won the novice race of Head of the Hooch the 2nd largest regatta in the U.S.A. I can play warhammer because I earned it.
Old 04 Feb 2008, 13:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

No only one squad at a time may ride in a transport. The only way to get two units in a transport is to attach an independent character to a squad.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2008, 19:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I wouldn't dare to put them in a Looted Wagon, thing is a death trap waiting to happen for such an expensive unit. Your best bet is either a Trukk or a Battlewagon for transport. The Looted Wagon barely beats a Trukk for armor but is half as fast, hardly a fair trade off in my view. Course the Battlewagon has the armor to make up for its slowness, but is expensive, so not an option for all games.
Old 04 Feb 2008, 20:07   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I don't understand why you can't have 2 units in the same transport I don't actually own the rulebook but I am assuming that you mean it says specifically in there that two units that fit in a transport cannot ride together it's not that I don't believe I just want to see where the rule is next time I go to the store.
and I am a lightweight