Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Can a Nob have a Big Shoota?
Old 03 Feb 2008, 01:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Can a Nob have a Big Shoota?

In the Ork Boyz entry in the back of the codex it says any one ork may replace their slugga with a big shoota or rokkit. It also says that one ork boyz can be upgraded to a Nob. Does this mean that my Nob can have a Big Shoota?
I want to do this since a Nob in a Shoota Squad cannot have a PK.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2008, 04:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Can a Nob have a Big Shoota?

Sadly, Hyena031, the days of four Big Shootas in a Mob of Ork Boyz has gone the way 4+ Choppa saves. The Nob of an Ork Boyz Mob can no longer carry a Big Shoota.

Now there are the new Lootas ................

Best Regards,

Old 03 Feb 2008, 05:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not wanting four at all just one on the Nob. Say I take 10 shoota boyz that means one Big Shoota. According to the codex any of those 10 can have the big shoota right? I can also upgrade any one boy to a Nob right? So why not upgrade the boy with the big shoota to the Nob. As far as I can see this perfectly legal, take a look at the new codex and let me know what you all think.
Old 03 Feb 2008, 13:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I could see this in either way, that he is allowed and that he's not allowed to. It's like the debate of can he take a PK? I'm waiting for this to be FAQ'd soon, until then I'm just going to play it safe and not give my Nob a PK or a big shoota.
Old 03 Feb 2008, 18:37   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I personally think he can - if he can't take a power klaw because the boyz have changed to shootas, then doesn't that mean he's one of the regular boyz but with better stats?
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2008, 13:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

There is a picture of an otherwise legal shoota mob in the ork codex eavy metal pages, with a nob, with a PK.

I think GW just pulled ... ah... pulled a GW... If you get my meaning.
Old 05 Feb 2008, 17:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

No a Nob can't have a big shoota. He's an upgrade character with his own selection of wargear which does not include a big shoota, or a rokkit.

Now I think another question about a nob in a shoota boyz mob is if he takes a pk, is his second weapon a slugga or a shoota?
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2008, 18:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneroplex
Now I think another question about a nob in a shoota boyz mob is if he takes a pk, is his second weapon a slugga or a shoota?
That is indeed a question with no affirmed answer. If we take the approach of the last codex then the Shoota Nob can't even have a PK. What I mean is that in the last codex, if you wanted to take Flash Gitz and give them say More Dakka (or any upgrade), you had to buy that upgrade for all the boyz. If you wanted to put a big shoota in there then you had to buy the unit upgrades across the board and then get the big shoota, effectively wasting the points from the upgrade.

So, if GW is taking that approach with the new one then you'd give all your boyz a shoota first. Giving them a shoota removes the slugga & choppa. By having no slugga & choppa now, if you upgrade a boy to a Nob then he has no choppa to trade in for a PK.

This is what makes it hard to determine either the big shoota or the PK. If a Nob upgrade gives you the base kit of slugga & choppa then a Shoota Nob could take a PK, but he would not be able to take a big shoota since it's not Nob wargear. However, if the upgrade maintains the current weapon (IE: a shoota), then the Nob can't have a PK, but I see no reason as to why he couldn't have a big shoota. You'd just choose to upgrade the boy with the big shoota to the Nob.
Old 05 Feb 2008, 18:23   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'd say no, as his Nob wargear section takes presedince. Some of thoes Big Shoota Nobz can be used as twin-linked Shootas now. Thats what I do now, I like the re-roll.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 00:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Its like the chaos codex in my mind where any one memeber can be upgraded to an Aspiring Champion and then any member can be given the icon. Works the same with orks...give ork shoota upgrade that ork to Nob.