Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Looted Hammerheads
Old 01 Feb 2008, 16:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Looted Hammerheads

With the new standerdised Looted Wagon rules, how could a looted Hammerhead work in the game? I presume that I can't give it skimmer rules, so I might have to put tracks on it...but then I might as well just use the Leman Russ that I comes with the tracks. :-\
Old 01 Feb 2008, 18:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Looted Hammerheads

Just go to a toy store and buy some really cheap truck and tear the wheels off. Mount those underneath the Hammerhead, and add big shootas to the gun drone recesses and you should be all set. The railgun is a perfect skeleton for a boomgun too. No need for all looted vehicles to come from the Imperium.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2008, 22:19   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Naw - I say keep the hover ability - just say that since it has been so banged up in order to capture it, it can no longer "boost" over the terrain.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2008, 23:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Buy a bunch of grots and have them carrying the hammerhead...that is how orks get their vehicles to skim.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 06:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

I'd agree with Silk on this one, keep 'er hovering. Maybe add a couple Rokkits to it to replace an engine, throw on some dakka and other various gubbins (don't forget some glyphs!), and I think you'll have one nastly little Wagon.

Best of luck and show us pictures!,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 08:33   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

And something came to me just before I went to sleep last night - give it a reinforced ram!!

You want the ability to ignore cover, right? The nearest thing you can get, aside from maybe a dethrolla is the ram. Cheaper too. It also fits in with the idea that it is underpowered due to teh boyz smashing it in to nab it.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 13:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Another good reason to keep it hovering is that the 'Don't Press Dat' rule would make more sense. If I'm sure that I don't mind losing a Hammerhead, I'll give it some nice orky battle scars from the Orks trying to capture it and only giving it basic maintenance afterwards. Perhaps taking off the doors and maybe making a shell hole in its chassis to represent the added fireing points.

But the one problem I have with keeping it hovering is that it'll be easier to see by the enemy.

There's some nice looted Falcons and Radiers in this battle report at Dakkadakka.com. Maybe I could get some ideas from those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S I L K
And something came to me just before I went to sleep last night - give it a reinforced ram!!<br /> <br />You want the ability to ignore cover, right? The nearest thing you can get, aside from maybe a dethrolla is the ram. Cheaper too. It also fits in with the idea that it is underpowered due to teh boyz smashing it in to nab it.
Skimmers ignore cover when tank-shocking?

And while we're on the subject of looted Tau, maybe I could make use of my man gun drones to make some improved Storm Boyz like on this website- http://www.mrxonline.com/. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work fluff-wise though; maybe the Big Mek's work?
Old 05 Feb 2008, 00:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If I wuz you, I'd use Deffkopta rules to represent gundrones. Replace the TL Carbines with TL Burst Cannons, or even Missile Pods if you're using em as Rokkit Launchas. Gun drones are BS 2 anyway so there you go.
Old 05 Feb 2008, 03:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This falls under the "counts as" rule. Sure you can loot a Hammerhead and even have it "hover" but an Ork looted vehicle is not a skimmer thus what ever models a looted vehicle is not a skimmer. It cannot skim nor hover over terrain regardless if the Tau version can.

I think a looted Hammerhead would look cool and such but don't confuse Ork looted vehicles with their non-looted counter parts.