Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

orks vs SM
Old 31 Jan 2008, 23:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default orks vs SM

am I the only one or does it seem that is really hard to kill space marinens now because they end up attacking first and killing half the boys. I tend to run a speed freak army so I'm finding that even with an extra 2 guys I'm losing assualts against space marines with average or a little below average roling. I'v started takin meks with KMG's with my lootas which are in a battle wagon so that kills a few of the nastier terminatior or Tyranid monsters. but against the average space marine it takes too many shots, any idea's other than just assaulting them with more orks I mean softening them up before my trukks get there.
2k erg test 7:01 145.3 split
6k erg test 18.36 152.8 split
and I am a lightweight
I stroked the boat that won the novice race of Head of the Hooch the 2nd largest regatta in the U.S.A. I can play warhammer because I earned it.
vercingatorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2008, 00:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: orks vs SM

One thing of great importance with the new Ork Codex is to deny your Marine opponent the charge. Let him loose the +1 attack charge bonus. With the Furious Charge that Orks now get (the +1 to your Ork Boyz strength), the charge can make a big difference.

The trick is, how to accomplish this.

With a Footslogger Ork Army list, a wave of Gretchin sent in front of the Ork Boyz can act as a tripwire to absorb a Marine attack. It will probably take a full Mob of thirty Grots and three Slavers (armed with Grot Prods) to successfully take a full squad of Space Marines assaulting for a turn or two.

That's when you countercharge with your 30 Ork Mob.

With a Speed Freak army it's a little tougher to do, but it is very possible with .................... Deff Koptas.

For about the same price as a 30 strong Gretchin Mob and three Runtherders, you can get two Deff Koptas armed with Twin Linked Big Shootas and a Buzzsaw (same as a Power Klaw). Get the jump on a Space Marine Squad that is about to assault. Stay well away from any Lighting Klaws or Power Fists and attack from the opposite end from where these are grouped in the Space Marine Squad. At Toughness 5 with a 4+ save and two wounds, these little terrors are quite survivable.

Instead of hitting and running with the Deff Koptas, however, keep them locked in combat and get the charge with your Trukk (and 12 Orks) on the next turn (if need be). Better yet, hit the Beakies on the same turn with both.

Now the Space Marine opponent will probably countercharge your Deff Koptas and Trukk the next turn. You then Countercharge him (or her) with yet another Trukk full of Ork Boyz armed with Choppa and Slugga.

It's important to GET THAT CHARGE!!

Best Regards,
Old 01 Feb 2008, 01:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'll also be taking note of any anti-Marine tactics, as I Know someone who fields an extra-assulty Blood Angles list that I'm keen to have a try at.
Old 01 Feb 2008, 03:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've yet to face Marines in the new codex, but I can't wait. Da Boss summed up my view, charge, charge, charge! Do whatever it takes to ensure you're the one charging.

Something I'm going to try is fielding my Kannons and or Lobbas against my Marine friend. Of course I'm hoping for the kills, but my other thought it it will force him to spread out his units more. I hate his Assault Marines and Chaplain, so I want to spread them out such that if they do charge me then hopefully not all get stuck in and I can pull casualties to disengage if needed. Also, it will force his stationary firing lines to spread out also, hopefully giving him a few less shots at my boyz. Being on the receiving end of a Whirlwind more often then not, I understand how a really spread out unit can give you less then desired results.
Old 01 Feb 2008, 13:16   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I say play it smart - get some trukk boyz and jump them. In total they will have a charge range of 21" (trukk movement, red paint job, disembark, and boyz assault range). Thats a fair bit by anybodies standards - it means that you are faster than anything that he has, so it means that you will be able to stay out of assault marine charge range (18") whilst threatening him.

Then, it's a simple matter of playing it patiantly and getting the perfect strike in - a power klawed nob will prove helpful, as will avoid taking a special weapon. With so few bodies you'll need as many attacks as you can possibly get if you are going to finish the unit on this charge. The only problem is terrain - what to do... what to do?? I know!! Give the trukk some stikkbomb chukkas (for 1 point less than boy - you have no excuse not to take them, especially since we are avoiding special weapons) and charge the marine gun line from the side. When they are castled up in the woods/ruins.

Don't worry - I haven't lost the plot.

Here me out first - lets take a look at the frag grenade rules, shall we? You will be striking at the same initiative. Not last, like you get in open and clear terrain, but at the same time. Just like the good old days. Suddenly, the marines don't have the advantage of the highe initiative. Let the numbers, sheer weight of attacks, equal strength, equal weapon skill and the Nobz power klaw do the work and watch the marines drown in a tide of axes and big gobz.

Now, I bet your screaming at me "what?! What about the counter charge?!". Iv'e thought this bit through aswell. Good aren't I? The solution is simple - gear up a simultaneous charge on the counter charge unit, and possibly a third if you have the option. They can't counter-charge when they are up to their necks in green meanies - and with the rest of the army supporting the core to ensure they arrive safely, it doesn't become a single pronged attack. Instead it becomes a mass wave, a hydra like being that attacks a multiple points until your opponent is overwhelmed with targets.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2008, 17:04   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I never thought about putting the stikkbombs and attacking space marines in cover, its actually a disadvantage for them in assualt thats interesting idea thanks for the input I'll be outfitting my trukks with that and wrecking balls for fun
and I am a lightweight
I stroked the boat that won the novice race of Head of the Hooch the 2nd largest regatta in the U.S.A. I can play warhammer because I earned it.
Old 01 Feb 2008, 18:39   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'd personally save my points and not get wrecking balls - yes they may be cool, but lets face it - how many times are you going to be able to use it? and out of those how many times will it actually work?

Yes, it isn't all that many points, but they begin to add up pretty quickly. If I added wrecking balls and rams just in case to amy trukks, battlewagon and looted wagons I would add a total of 60 points onto the list. Thats a whole other squad of boyz into the list.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Feb 2008, 18:59   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I find recking balls to be extremely useful the best time was one of my trucks chasing a hammerhead across the board stunning it twice adn finally destroying it I don't say add the recking balls to everything because your right your not going to be able to use them, but if you add them to a few trucks like 2 than once they drop the boys off they can go and have some fun, I mean is it really fair to those drivers to just sit thier the entire battle once they have done thier job.
another use for them is that if your boys are stuck trying to attack a dreadnought the truck can make a pretty good run at it before the boys
and I am a lightweight
Old 05 Feb 2008, 19:43   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I tried outfitting a trukk with stikkbombz and wrecking balls they were both extremely useful my trukks dropped the boys off who assualted and made the attack at the same time getting me an extra 12 attacks then the trukks went off and destroyed a tornado landspeeder the stickbombz are a must especially against stand and shoot and (the smart ones anyway) hide.
go trukks!
and I am a lightweight
Old 06 Feb 2008, 00:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've got a 500pt match vs Blood Angles, and my opponent said he'll be taking alot of Termies. So, what does the new codex have for anti-heavy infantry armies? I have the codex, but this will be my very first game as Orks outside of Dawn of War.