Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5th Edition Orks?
Old 23 Jan 2008, 19:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 5th Edition Orks?

Alright, with the new set of basic rules at the doorstep, it is time to think about how the new Codex works with the rumoured rules changes.

While, obviously, the "Fleet for all" will make advancing our Hordes easier (and probably inspire some Goffs to take Sluggas without special weapons), our Trukks got shafted thanks to the "speed limit" for fast vehicles.

On the other hand, reinforced rams and Dethrollas now have another task - not just to make travelling difficult terrain safer, no, clever hidden vehicles receive now a cover save - not too shabby, either.

So it is a bittersweet pill GW is preparing for us; and that`s just the three implications I could think of on top of my head...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: 5th Edition Orks?

I'm not too excited about the rumored rule changes.

The running thing I think it no good. While sure, we can run at the enemy faster, the enemy can run away faster, too! And running is rumored only to work if there are no enemy units around for x inches, so if you're being charged, you run out a single unit to die/prevent the enemy from running while running backwards yourself, setting yourself up for another volley or rapid fire or what-not. I can see a lot of cheesy gun-line tactics being came up with soon...

I was pretty pumped about ramming the first time I heard about it but not so much anymore. Thunder, over in the Rumors thread on this, brought up the point that ramming a Rhino with a Landraider is going to be more powerful than a krak rocket. I don't like that.

Another change is the whole Line of Sight thing dealing with area terrain. Now if my Battlewagon can see your Russ though that little window, half blocked with rubble, I can blow it out of the water. I think we'll be seeing many more people constructing solid building compared to now because they're just not reliable cover anymore.

I'm not excited for 5th Edition... Not at all...

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:29   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Primo

To be honest, I actually think that the new ork codex, was more or less made for 5th Edition.

Truck explode table fx.

1-2 is only S3

3-4 is 3d6, fits the 18" movement of next edition.

The Gets Hot rule will get back to "normal", so both Flashgitz with upgrade, and their special charecter wont just "die" when they try to shoot to much.

Well, it would seem odd if they didn't make it to fit

Also, the Run + Waargh! seems pretty nice, if I get it right, Run, D6 and then Charge, makes that Wyrdboy even better, even with his upgrade added!

One thing though, some of the more static things of the orks, get abit punished, be it the Artillery- Zzap guns, the Big Mek with his Shokk Attack gun or Lootas. Their all gonna be "totally" exposed, unless you Shoot First, Run Later.

Heck, you could say with the new shooting rules (LoS) and the new Run rules, every army gets a "Light" Jet Pack. It just works on every other unit, than the firing unit!

Move out of the way, of firing units, then move back by running after they fire, so you basicly Zig-Zag Move towards the enemy with none-transported units.

ooooh, just in the end, Grots, as you can really, really become a tight meatshield with this!

4 Massacres
5 Solid
2 Minor
1 Draw
0 Losses

Armies Played:
Tyranid, Chaos, Space Marines, Necrons, Daemon Hunters.
Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Primo

Gonna post a second time to response to Grandpa Ducky:

If you charge that Rhino in that way, it will get a S8 if you Ram the Front.

You following:

1S per 3" full moved.

1S for being a Tank

1S per Armour you got more than the Side your Ramming (Front,Side,Rear)

and your opponent gets equal back.

So:

You HAVE to make a Full Charge, at the Back, to get a S9.
'

I didn't read anything about not being able to run, if within X inch of a target, will reread the PDF again soon though.

And I dont seem to understand your complaint either, in any case.

4 Massacres
5 Solid
2 Minor
1 Draw
0 Losses

Armies Played:
Tyranid, Chaos, Space Marines, Necrons, Daemon Hunters.
Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 22:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have to say that the most annoying thing I find right now is all this talk about 5th edition, really who cares, right now we are still playing 4th and will be for a good chuck of time. Its all RUMOURS and will be for a while as well. ENOUGH with the 5th edition talk is what I say.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 23:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
I have to say that the most annoying thing I find right now is all this talk about 5th edition, really who cares, right now we are still playing 4th and will be for a good chuck of time. Its all RUMOURS and will be for a while as well. ENOUGH with the 5th edition talk is what I say.
I second that and how can you guys be talking about 5th edition when we just got our 4th edition codex last week?

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 00:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Primo:
I haven't seen the leaked rules and have been simply going off of what I've read around the internet. For the "no run within x inches of an enemy," I think someone drew the parallel to WFB where units cannot march (I believe that's the term) within x inches of an enemy.

-Grandpa Ducky

Old 24 Jan 2008, 02:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There won't be any "everyone fleets rule". It would shaft Nids and orks actually just got Waagh which lets us fleet for a turn. Not even GW would dare nerf a special rule that quick.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 04:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Commander Nearsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
Phew, that's a relief. Don't really want to invest on a new rulebook anytime soon. :P

Er... When is da new big book rumoured to come out then?

Great site for all DE stuff.
Commander Nearsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 05:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

According to the infamous Brimstone over at Warseer: "5th edition 40K is due for release in 2008 although we have conflicting reports about the release date, its going to be either summer or more probably autumn (GDUK 08)." Not too far in the future, huh? :-\

-Grandpa Ducky