Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Grot Riggers......worth it?
Old 22 Jan 2008, 11:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default New Grot Riggers......worth it?

In the last dex, and being a KOS player, it was manditory for me to take grot riggers. Even if I didn't have to, I would have bought the upgrade for every vehicle. Are they worth it now? I'm leaning towards no, here's why:

1. They cost more points now, almost as much as a boy.

2. They can't fix destroyed weapons anymore.

3. They fix immobilized results during the shooting phase instead of at the beginning of the turn, thus loosing an entire turn even if the vehicle is fixed. Before you could get immobilized then fix the vehicle next round like nothing had ever happened.

Your thoughts? Have all the old mechanically inclined grots lost their job and instead become ammo for the Shokk attack gun?
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 15:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New Grot Riggers......worth it?

At the point cost that they are they are still a bargain. Insofar as I can recall from the old Ork Codex, Grot Riggers could re-mobilize an immobile vehicle. But it took a Mek Boy (perferably accompanied with Grot Oilers) to fix a weapon.

Be that as it may, I believe that the Orks are the only army that can remobilize vehicles once they have been immobilized. There may be some weird Chaos rule (or some Spirit of the Machine rule) out there but I believe that Orks are fairly unique in this.

With the low amour of most of our vehicles, I believe that Grot Riggers still serve a very important function.

Best Regards,

Old 22 Jan 2008, 15:53   #3 (permalink)
Vxx
Shas'Saal

I know that the Rhino can roll for a chance to re-mobilize itself during a shooting phase.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 15:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't recall them being able to fix weapons either. The only change, if I recall, is as you said about repairing in the shooting phase now. Even with that change, you're still taking a vehicle that would be stuck there the rest of the game and potentially mobilizing it, so to me the points are still well spent.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 19:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

You'll still want to buy riggers. I once played a game where both of my trukk mobs (one containing a warboss) immobilized themselves on the first piece of terrain they crossed, which was on the edge of my deployment zone. Without the riggers, more than 400pts of my army would've been a complete write-off
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 19:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Don`t forget that the repairs also keep your enemy from earning easy VPs thanks to damaged vehicles (although I doubt that any Trukks will survive a gme, anyway).

Still, I do think the application of Riggers needs to be considered carefully. On Killakans, they are - imo - a waste of points; especially if you have a unit of Burnas with Meks running behind them.

But for Trukks and Battlewagons, they are compulsory, imo.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 02:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBonesaw
Don`t forget that the repairs also keep your enemy from earning easy VPs thanks to damaged vehicles (although I doubt that any Trukks will survive a gme, anyway).

Still, I do think the application of Riggers needs to be considered carefully. On Killakans, they are - imo - a waste of points; especially if you have a unit of Burnas with Meks running behind them.

But for Trukks and Battlewagons, they are compulsory, imo.
I dunno. I'd still put em on the kans. In a 3 strong squadron only 1 kan will have to slow down at all to maintain coherency to the immobilized one long enough for it to attempt it's repair roll. Without the riggers that would be it. The squadron would either have to abandon it or stop moving in the next turn.

And it's still saved half the pts of the damaged kan. I mean you pay 5pts to quite possibly save coughing up 20 or 30 vps.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 05:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

Grot riggers are still worth it, fixing an immobilized result is a powerful effect. Although I am kinda annoyed at how they seemed to round everything up to multiples of 5's in the new codex, grot riggers and red paint on 5 vehicles used to cost 25 points now it costs 50.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2008, 15:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I concur that Riggers are worth it. To my mind the best upgrade for the Trukk is Reinforced Ram though, so if you only have 5 points to spend on upgrades I'd go Ram before I went Riggers, with RPJ as a distant third.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 00:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I load my killa Khans with Big Shootas, lots of fire power and grot shooting whats not to like. I add no additional upgrades at all on them so that means each Killa Khan cost me 35pts, what a steal!!! The way I see it is that we didn't have the grots for them in our last codex and I absolutely loved so why play change the load out especially now that they are cheaper and have a better BS. Really how what are the odds of getting that imobilized...1 in 6 on the either damage table and that only if they hit. Come on a 50/50 chance to fix the immobilzed if it even does happen...forget that I will take my chances and my points else where.

Now with regards to a truck with a load of boyz in it, well it would depend on what kind of orks are in it and the rest of my list. But at the moment I see Grot riggers as a point sink.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote