better for fluff better for gameplay 27 84.38%
better for fluff worse for game play 1 3.13%
same for gameplay same for fluff 0 0%
better for gameplay worse for fluff 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Jan 2008, 21:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New Codex-Better Or Worse Than The Old One

well this is just to get a general idea of how much people like the new codex to the old one. they are two really different dexes and a lot has changed so.........

Fluff includes the section with the pictures- i just couldn't think of a name for that one ;D
Gameplay is how the list acctually works and all the units

thanks

do aussie people have accents or does everyone recognize us as ausies because we have no accent

why are people so stupid they have to sue for everything and take the fun out of life
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 21:37   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: New Codex-Better Or Worse Than The Old One

Personally I think it's good all round to be honest.

yes we loose some of out toys like the choppas, but who cares? Your an ork. You shouldn't be relying on a piece of gear, you should be relying on your expertise to hit stuff real hard! Bear in min that we have shave a whole 3 points of of the regular boys and gain furios charge - whats not to love? We are hitting harder than we ever have, and we still get gobs of attacks. And for what? Loosing a thing that was only effective against a few races?

And when we factor in the ability to take wartrukks for our regualr boys and really manipulate the army list to how it fits us then things can only go up. As well as the ability to take fancy new stuff like deff koptas.

Yes, you'll get the odd old warhorse with the complaint. But I say just ignore then and enjoy the new freshness to the old army.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2008, 22:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

New codex is AWESOME!!!* Kommandos now get a save where they didn't before, Nobs are now a unit un to their own, boyz are cheaper, a ton of HQ choices now, no longer have to take a warboss, lootas rocks, burna boyz are a power house, killa khans are better than ever, runtherdas love to kill MC now, snikrot, zagstruk and the list goes on on and on.* Hands down this codex is way better.* The biggest thing that this codex brings to the table is the variety of list that one could see being played by ork warboss's.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 03:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

I love the new codex and the changes they've made. I've waited a long time and GW has not let me down with this release.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 05:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Commander Nearsight

The new Codex is made of win. 'Nuff said.

Great site for all DE stuff.
Commander Nearsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 05:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

I'm really liking the new codex. Besides the gobs of beautiful fluff, the ability to make super-simple variant lists is great (Deffwing, Dreadmob, Speed Freeks, etc.). One of my favorite new additions to the codex was the expanded glyphs page. While most of the glyphs on the page are crappier versions of the ones found elsewhere in the book, the Orks counting system is what makes the page truly amazing. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing the first time I looked at it.

One of the only things that let me down was the codex's Hobby Section. One page? One page?! I don't understand how some armies get umpteen million pages and Da Boyz get one. Necrons, in my opinion the most unconvertable army, have eight. Eight! I mean, we didn't even get a painting section or a part on 'How to Make Orky Terrain' or even a page with ideas for Looted Wagons. We got one page on simple freakin' head and arm swaps.
</bitter>

All in all, I love it.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 09:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

descriptions are better, there are stats for all weapons (!) it introduces a lot of sweet new models, it is simplified in a good way. Furious Charge vs "waaagh charge" and the new mob rule is simpler than the old - simpler as in no unnecessary rules. Not as in dumbed down.*

I dont know if it is that balanced with a fearless furious charge troop for 6 points, I havent played it enough, but it gets an outstanding mark from me. Also because the shokk attack guns and weirdboys are back, bringing a little of that 2nd ed. randomness back into the ranks of the orks. They were simply rank and file in 3rd - now they are potentially very random again.

Plus, the fluff is great.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 12:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

There is a paint setction in the codex aing section is nd its on the clans. To me not having a giant hobby section is meaningless because when I convert something I want it to be an original idea not one that is copied from GW.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 12:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Typos and oversights aside, it's a far better codex hands down.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 15:03   #10 (permalink)
Vxx
Shas'Saal

I love the new codex. I read the old one a few months before the new one came out and after picking the new one up I believe they did a bang up job. Other than the few type-o's and confusion like there is in every codex, the fluff is great along with the functionality of the army. Its versatile, tough and the new models are beautiful.

My only complaint would be that they are almost too tough to beat. I haven't heard of an Ork Waaagh! loosing yet at my local shop. Even against someones cheesy Eldar list the Orks ran through them like bad Mexican food. So I look forward to assembling and painting my new Ork force as soon as I figure out the list I want to run.