Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Orky Demolition Derby - the new tank hunters
Old 14 Jan 2008, 08:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex
Default Orky Demolition Derby - the new tank hunters

With all these new upgrades to our vehicles, it seems holding an orky demolition derby can be a serious threat to enemy armour.

Most powerful of these upgrades is potentially the battlewagon's deff rolla. Just make a 13" tank shock against something to inflict d6 S10 hits upon it, and this works against skimmers. The exception is anything with an equal armour value because their presence stops tank shocks 1" away. Still though, that is going to put some serious hurting on those tau fish 'eads - if you can get close enough.

Wreckin' balls seem really good too and can be taken by trukks and looted wagons. Using reinforced rams you can tank shock other vehicles with lesser armour and push them out of way, and use a grabba claw to keep it in place.

All in all maybe an orky demolition derby wouldn't be the greatest strategy in the world, but an army themed around it seems like it would be alot of fun. Any thoughts?
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2008, 14:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Orky Demolition Derby - the new tank hunters

I think the potential is there for our vehicles to do more then just deliver the boyz where they need to go, however I think in practice it's going to be a whole different thing. We're still dealing with armor 10 open-topped vehicles that already attract a lot of fire power. I imagine the first time you use a wrecking ball, or a reinforced ram, you'll probably manage to pull it off, but I see this is a one time thing against an opponent. Next time around they'll be sure to take out those vehicles all the sooner.

The reinforced ram is great, but I plan to make use of it for the dangerous terrain rerolls then I will anything else.
Old 14 Jan 2008, 19:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The key to playing an army like this is positioning. It's a lot easier to tank shock a vehicle if you hit it from the side, because very few units have side armor of 14. For extra lulz, bring some vehicles with Grabbin Klaws to prevent vehicles from turning to face their armor in the optimal positions. When dealing with enemy vehicles like Land Raiders or Rhinos that have their troops inside, another particular fun trick is to take a three-Buggy squad and block the enemy exit points while a heavier unit delivers the killing blow. Laugh as the enemy troops inside are toasted. ;D
Old 17 Jan 2008, 01:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i tag team em. 2 grab klaw trukks snag the vehicles, one battle wagon and 2 trukks with wrecking balls then proceed to smash the most vulnerable point. I've gotta say though i fail to see the real thrill in a boarding plank, if you're that close you're boyz should just hop out, blow it up, and consolidate back in.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 01:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you were to simply disembark from the trukk and blow it, you cannot, on the same turn, reboard the trukk since you are only allowed to embark or disembark on the same turn (see pg 62 in the rule book). So the trill of the boarding plank comes from being able to take out the vehicle that turn and on the next diembark still. The plank also lets your boyz stay in the safe comfy womb of their trukk.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 02:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Very true, i guess it would also come in handy if you chose to armor your vehicles as you couldn't charge anyway. still i wouldn't use it except for my tankbustas.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2008, 18:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This of course brings up such humorous tactics, like the drive-by tankhammer.
Old 24 Feb 2008, 07:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

In my GW store we did a formular wagggghhhhhh!!!!. I came second 3 times and won once when i blew up a battle wagon and the looted it for my own evil perposes.

If you want a sig like this give, Hadhfang a PM http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/Ushar1/Orkwarrior-1.jpg[/img]
OrkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 00:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have a question about the tankhammer, can it only be used in HTH with a vehicle, or is its strength applicable with both vehicle and infantry models?

The reason I ask; I can see certain beardy people questioning the fact the orks getting this weapon that swings at initiative.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 02:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's a straight up S10 weapon that swings at initiative, so yes, you can swing it at infantry. It's brutal, don't get me wrong, but it's not a power weapon...so, could be worse for the victims of it