Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

ap2 weapons
Old 14 Jan 2008, 06:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default ap2 weapons

We don't have so much ap2 weapons, kustom mega blasta is gets hot but I 'll live with that. What is the best way to pick off terminators? is a squad of 5 burnas with 3 meks, 75p, wearing kustom mega blasta, but with bs2 only 1 will hit... And is the Zzap guns worth it? 3 Zzap gun, three ammo runts, 4 additional crew that is 111

And who strike first terminators or nobs with powerklaw?

What would you recommend for taking out nasty guys with 2+saves?
necrotic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2008, 06:30   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Cander
Default Re: ap2 weapons

They are a very hard objective for us orks, cause the ap2 weapons is very rare. So the best way and most likely the way that only work is to swamp them with alot of Boyz/Nob with Pk/Warboss with PK and any other good CC stuff.

If the Terminator has a Powerfist (as most of them have I think) they just strike at the same time as your Power Klaw. I'm almost 100% sure that when a ork wearing a PK, you must ignore the extra Iniative bonus you get from Furious Charge. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Take it easy...
Cander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2008, 08:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

We have four guns with AP2 - kustom mega-blastas, zzap guns, snazzguns, and the shokk attack gun.

Of the four I believe zzap guns in batteries would be the most effective against terminators due to their low cost, increased BS of grots and decent range.

KMB's I rate 2nd because they can show up in so many places. They're best mounted on vehicles such as kans, dreds and koptas because the 'gets hot' rule is ignored by vehicles (our old codex had a special rule that made KMB's inflict glancing hits on our vehicles but that's been replaced with 'gets hot' which only hurts infantry). The solid S8 of the KMB is great for taking on tanks and it's only 5 points more than a rokkit.

Flash Gitz with snazzguns could be the answer to your terminator problems if you kit them out enough, they're about as effective as 3 killa kans for this purpose and a similar points cost. The hurt caused by the blastas gets hot special rule can be reduced with their 4+ saves and a painboy. Compared to our other weapons snazzguns out perform the rest against 3+ save infantry but have no serious tank hunting powers.

Last but not least the shokk attack gun is potentially devasting to anything, and deepstriking terminators would be a very juicy target indeed.

Sadly, point for point shoota boyz outperform all of these options if you're going after terminators, should you be able to get all 30 into position that is.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2008, 19:50   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think i 'll go with a battery of 3 Zzap guns and 3 ammo runts. If i rember right this is the best in ork for anti tank? or?
Old 14 Jan 2008, 21:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

IMO, the Kannon is a better anti-tank deal. The Zzap has been nerfed that it only has a higher strength approximately %41.6 of the time. 16% of the time, the strength is equivalent, and the other 41.6% of the time the strength is lower. Add (well subtract) the range compared to a Kannon and the increased point cost and it's just not worth the Crew-shaking ability...
Old 15 Jan 2008, 01:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

36" vs 48" in next to no difference when each persons deployment zone is at minium 6". So if you place them at the 6" mark and your opponenet does as well that equals 36" between the two of you. Some mission let you place up to 15" so all in all wpns over 36" are only going to benefit when shooting the length of the table or corner to corner. Any game on a 4 x 4 board will pretty much negate the kannons extra 12" of range.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2008, 01:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It does mean more if you're placing your Kannons on a corner of the map, if only because that way it makes it easier to hit side armor if an enemy advances down the center...
Old 15 Jan 2008, 02:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

Kannons don't have a 48" range, it's 36". And your math is a little off, only 41.6% of the time is the strength rolled on a zzap gun equal to or greater than S8, the other 58.4% of the time the strength is 7 or lower and this obviously favors the kannon's solid S8. Of course if you like to gamble and the potential of firing strength 10 weapons against land raiders and monoliths then take the zzap gun, which the kannon can only hope to glance with a 6.

Overall I agree the kannon is a better weapon vs tanks and I even think it's a better all around weapon than the zzap gun, given the option for shelling and reduced cost. But it's nice to have some zzaps if you fear the almighty 2+ save.

And hyena031, 48" range is considerably better than 36" range because you're not always just lined up 2 feet away from your opponent with your heavy guns in range of your opponent's juicy targets. You gotta take into consideration deployment and potential movement, as well as your opponent's weapon range and finally the extra distance for firing corner to corner across the table.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2008, 04:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Off by 1. Doh! What I meant to say is 16% of the time, the strength is 7, and 41% of the time its 6-under...I got used to Kannons being like Missile Launchers I made the assumption of 48 range...wow I feel foolish.

That said, the Kannon's S8 is in the upper average of strength rolls and on average is a better unit than the Zzap gun, for the reasons sneroplex mentioned.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 05:48   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

but if i have 3 Zzap guns i have bigger chanche to get at least one over 8, right? and the those can still kill nasty guys like carnifex with extra save(2+). And it should be easier taking out a land rider? 7avrege +3.5 = 10,5str averge. 1 kannon 8 str +1 d6 = 11,5 but kannon maximum is 14, Zzap guns 16 so when i get a good shot i can get easilier pentration hit because each more str give me 16%more chance?