Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinking about gettin' orks should I?
Old 13 Jan 2008, 16:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Thinking about gettin' orks should I?

Lookin' at the green skins but not sure if I should get them or not can you help to convince me!

[move][glow=green,2,300]Orks, let's go an kill da humies![/glow][/move]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Online at: 19:13 25/09/09

ChilliMasta you are the best poster on this forum well done have a Karma! :P
ChilliMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2008, 17:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Thinking about gettin' orks should I?

"Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!"

-Commonly held Ork view of warfare.

If that, new models and a new codex doesn't convince you I don't know what well.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2008, 17:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yeah i like the new models and that a good theory but are a lot of my greenies goin' to get killed in battle??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Online at: 19:13 25/09/09

ChilliMasta you are the best poster on this forum well done have a Karma! :P
ChilliMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2008, 17:56   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliMasta
yeah i like the new models and that a good theory but are a lot of my greenies goin' to get killed in battle??
Expect Orks to die in droves. The maxim of the orks is basically try to suck in as much casualties as you can until you can bring the hammer to the opponent and bash its brains up. Plain simple. Even the shooty lists are adherent to this philosophy.

I would play the Devil's Advocate of not convincing you to start Orks. If you do not like your things to die fast and in droves, and vehicles getting blown up too fast, then don't bother and move somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2008, 18:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you cannot stand the sight of ork blood you best be on your way...cause we'll eat you alive if you show the smallest sign of weakness.
Overall if you need to be convinced then orks are not for you.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2008, 00:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

Orks are really fun and they have so many options available that they can be built competitive against almost anything. You'll always have people to fight because most people enjoy a game against orks and I have yet to witness anybody call something an ork player does "cheesy".

The downside is you need alot of models and things can die very fast, but it's pretty much to be expected.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 07:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

OK.let me see. if you are scared about your orks getting blown up fast....don't worry 'cause yuo know what ....orks are the army if you like to have a fun game.e.g. grots gettin squised under your own looted wagon!
or mabye....
the sight of 20 slugga boys masacering the tau leader far sight.
( that will stay with till the end of my days.67 attacks min!)

two of the best film quotes EVER:

One crow, sorrow. Two crows, joy. Three crows, a letter! Four crows, a boy. Five crows, silver. Six crows, gold! Seven crows, a secret never to be told.

Congratulations, Monkey! You just bought yourself a fighting chance!
jacktheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 08:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

If you don't like things dying, you can always try a Deffwing army. As in nearly every model on your side of the table in Mega-Armour... with Power Klaws. > Once I figure out a good way to scratch build Mega-Armour, I plan on doing a Deffwing army.

It's the total opposite of the normal horde way to play Orks. A 1000 point Deffwing army has about 18 models in it, all with hard to miss saves. Rocket across the table mounted in Trukkz, smash into the enemy line and disgorge your deadly payload of disgruntled Orks armed like tanks. Unleash some of those handy Kombi-Scorchaz to thin the crowd around them and let them wade into the enemy. I think it sounds so ridiculously fun. When you get into the higher point levels you could take a Battlewagon (naturally filled with Meganobz) modeled as a looted Land Raider and painted in the Deathwings colors, just to insult dem Beakies. I'm so pumped to start them!

But I digress...
If you don't like your models dying, there are a few ways to play Orks to get around it, but most play styles emphasize the fact that your going to lose a ton of boyz.

But in the end the choice is yours, we're just here to make sure you make the right one!

Best of luck,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 08:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

Well there's a key difference between swamp 'em lists and speed freeks, and that is the swamp 'em's only defense against shooting is massive numbers which translates to massive casualties. The speed freeks on the other hand have smaller numbers and (usually) seek to zoom into the enemy and tie things up quickly rather than relying on ablative wounds. Sure they can still die, but so do space marines and eldar and even tau.

If you're dead set on removing as few casualties as possible then take up the Deffwing orks as Grandpa Ducky suggested.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 08:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

In addition to what Sneroplex said about Speed Freeks, the new Ramshackle rule for the Trukk will make it one of the most fun to watch armies ever. Shooting a Trukk as it races towards you in now almost as dangerous to the Ork driving as it is the shooter! It's pretty great.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote