Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is it just me?
Old 09 Jan 2008, 07:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Is it just me?

Or are Stormboyz rather expensive with the new "upgrade bit packs" they have in place of the Stormboyz box on the GW US site?

$15 Blister = 5 Rocket Packs, Torsos + grenade and head bits
$22 Box of Boyz = 10 Boyz + a Nob

....$52 per 10 Stormboyz?! I don't remember exactly how much the box of 8 used to cost since they took it down but this seems like a lot, more than metal fantasy regiments. I see my dreams of a giant rocket powered green tide fading =P
Old 09 Jan 2008, 09:47   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Cander
Default Re: Is it just me?

Yes, it's going to be a bit more expensive. A suggestion is to stock up with the old ones (that obivous is just look like the new ones does) before they disapear.

Take it easy...
Cander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2008, 09:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

You could always make your own Stormboyz. Just take some boyz, some plasticard, and greenstuff and whip up your own! I bet they'd balance better, too, than the ones from GW. My GW ones are always tipping over.

I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere on how to model GS flames, but I can't find it. It was pretty simple, though. Form the GS into a conical shape at the bottom of your rocket and the pick at it to give it a wavy-ish, flamey look.

You know what? If Stormboyz are going to cost us more, I'm going to make a tutorial on how to make your own cheap'o ones. I'll be hopefully picking up another box of boyz tomorrow and I'll get right on that tutorial. While I'm at it, I might just make a tutorial on how to make flying Stormboyz, too. I'll keep you posted on whatever happens with the tutorials.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 05:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ducky, I've seen that tutorial too, but can't remember where. I've heard of other people using small caliber bullets for the jet packs. Not sure which size would be right, maybe .22 or you could make large .45 caliber ones. Just get some without blasting caps, and no one will actually die during a game if someone drops a stormboy.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 06:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
Ducky, I've seen that tutorial too, but can't remember where.
I'm glad I wasn't halucinating, then. I picked up the materials for my tutorial today, though, so I'll get going on that either tomorrow night or maybe in the morning. We'll see when I have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
I've heard of other people using small caliber bullets for the jet packs. Not sure which size would be right, maybe .22 or you could make large .45 caliber ones. Just get some without blasting caps, and no one will actually die during a game if someone drops a stormboy.
That's quite an Orky idea. I like it quite a lot. Whenever I find time to go hit up a gun store for a case for my paintball pistol, I'll have try and grab some casing. Or do you think Wal-Mart sells that kind of stuff for people who make their own bullets? (Is bullets the right word? Rounds? I dunno...)

I'll have to look around, thanks Scoutfox,

-Grandpa Ducky

Old 10 Jan 2008, 08:25   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Wow, lots of great suggestions I look forward to reading to your tutorial Ducky thank you.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 09:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I look forward to you reading it. I just finished my first mock-up Rokkit and it looks pretty much awesome (in my most humble of opinions). The only problem is that the nose cone looks a little asymmetrical. I don't know if that's a problem or not (seeing as Ork kraftmanship isn't known for it's shocking symmetry and dashing good looks) but if anyone has any suggestions for making a nose cone better than the one I have now, I'd be more than willing to credit you in the tutorial when it's done.

-Grandpa Ducky

EDIT: Aryakas (or anyone who'd enjoy answering), would you prefer walking Stormboyz or simple flying Stormboyz?

Old 10 Jan 2008, 10:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

umm I beleive I saw one from a guy that wanted flaming skulls on his undead army. I think he just made a rough blob of greenstuff into the general shape and just took a pair of side cutters and kept pinching the greenstuff till he got the right look.
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Deaths_Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2008, 03:13   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Use the bag 'o space marine backpacks. very economical.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 03:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Beakie backpacks? My Stormboyz are even cheaper (and far Orkier than that.