Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to the Orks
Old 01 Jan 2008, 21:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New to the Orks

I'm going to start with the orks, but i don't know what to buy, shall i buy the battleforce and a warboss? and the codex ofcourse.
I want to make a 500p army to start with.

Whaaag!

necrotic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 01:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: New to the Orks

Uh... read around the forum. There's stuff happening. I'll do a recap.

They're releasing new models. Yeah. And they're doing a really annoying 20$ for 10 Ork Boys thing instead of 35$ for... 16 boys.

If you ABSOLUTELY must start right now, I would get 3 boxes of boys and a warboss. And try to get the 35$ boxes before they release the 20$ boxes.
Old 02 Jan 2008, 02:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually you save about $0.10 a boy with the new set.
ChiliFriez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 08:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungard
[...]
They're releasing new models. Yeah. And they're doing a really annoying 20$ for 10 Ork Boys thing instead of 35$ for... 16 boys.
[...]
The new box may look like a waste, but you've got both 'eavy weapons in there and a nob with a Klaw. You used to have to pick those up in separate blisters. Now they all come in one box, and they're plastic.

[hr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrotic97
I'm going to start with the orks, but i don't know what to buy, shall i buy the battleforce and a warboss? and the codex ofcourse.
I want to make a 500p army to start with.
[...]
When you do get the codex, you'll want to make sure you're getting the new one. It's coming out... later this week, I think. I remember hearing January 7th but the UK website's telling me the 12th. The old codex would still be nice to have around if you found one, but my opinion on such matters it completely biased. I'm a codex collector.

As for the army, the battleforce and a Warboss will get you a decent start on a very small army. As we've discussed elsewhere on the forum, the new battleforce is a bit of a rip off. You'd need to pick up a couple to get a working army going and that costs quite a bit of money. If I were you, I'd pick up a couple of boxes of boyz (two or three old boxes, four or five new ones) and a warboss for starters. You could subtract a old box or two new boxes if you threw a battleforce in there.

Buying the straight boyz will get you a nice little very basic army, but one that you can play with. By throwing the battleforce in, you're getting roughtly the same amount of boyz and you're getting all sorts of fun stuff to play with. It really depends on what kind of ork army you want to run. I'm one of the three ( ) people left who haven't seen the leaked copy of the new codex, so I can't really tell you how supportive of the old playing styles the new codex is. I'm sure someone who's seen it's would be more than willing to drop by and give you some advice.

Best of luck to you,

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2008, 17:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

If you get the battle force and a warboss, you're probably looking at around 300-450 points depending on how heavy you are with upgrades. If I was starting with an ork army I would add another box of 10 boyz to this and you should be able to field a 500 points force with lots of upgrades. If you're not heavy on upgrades a killa kan would be a nice addition.

You would be fielding:

1 Warboss
20 Boyz
10 Boyz with Wartrukk
3 Warbikes
1 Killa Kan

Such a force would in my opinion be more effective than a similar force of 500 points from the old codex given the reduced points costs and better rules for wartrukks and warbikes, as well as the killa kanz increased BS. Take out the warboss and you should be able to make a deadly 400 points combat patrol out of those units.

Under the old rules such a force would probably cost about 100 points more and wouldn't even be a legal list because it didn't meet the 2 troops minimum.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 14:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thats sounds nice but i think i will need more warbikers? 3 wounds sounds so small for a unit with low save. Or can a field 1 more killa kan instead of the bikers?

Shall i make the boys with shootas or choppas n' sluggas?
Old 03 Jan 2008, 14:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Three bikes is the minimal size for the unit, so it's legal, but I wouldn't run them as small as three. As for your boyz, there's a thread not far back (posted in Dec. I think), that discusses Sluggas vs Shootas.

EDIT: Found the thread, here you go: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=56198.0
Old 03 Jan 2008, 14:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

500 points? That's what, 80 boyz. If you want to start nü-orks right, buy boyz, more boyz, more boyz, and finally, more boyz. Then, get a mek with a forcefield and just charge people.

Until you have at least 100 boyz, don't bother with anything else. You need a solid core to play orks, and 100 boyz will provide that. After that, you can start looking at things like stormboyz, lootas, dethkoptas, trukks, etc. But start with the boyz, you'll be happy you did.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2008, 16:49   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My new list, Contains : warboss, 50 boyz, 3 power klaws, 4rokkit launchas.

HQ
Warboss
Power klaw
'Eavy armour

Troop
30 Boyz, Shootas
Nob upgrade
Power klaw
2 rokkit launcha
Total 235

Troop
20 Boyz, Shootas
Nob upgrade
Power klaw
2 rokkit launcha
Total 175
Old 03 Jan 2008, 17:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd make the following changes:

Get a powerklaw for the warboss, instead of the big choppa. It makes him a lot better.

Replace all Big Shootas with Rokkits. You get less shots, but those that you land will count more.

Give the slugga boyz two rokkits too.

Lose the killa kan in order to pay for these changes.

It gives your opponent's anti-tank guns something to shoot at. If you don't have it, anything they bought that is good against tanks has to shoot at six point ork boyz instead. And, it's not exactly a strong vehicle that can take a lot of hits in the first place. You're better off with 4 rokkits scattered among your boyz than you are with one on a killakan.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote