Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Played a game with the new Ork Dex
Old 29 Dec 2007, 14:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Played a game with the new Ork Dex

Ok I played a 1500pts game with the new ork codex (using some proxies) and damn was it fun, and a close game. Played a simple bash em all against a suit heavy tau army and the end result was about 170 point difference in his favour (dam two HQ's I could krump in combat)

Trukks are alot of fun, I had two karren out of control in his first turn, which was a laugh.

Boyz (I ran ten boy squads) are very vunerable to moral, but mob size did help me out abit, and pinning does orks no favours. But they get an ungodly amout of attack on the charge, and even without the choppa rule they could still kill 3+ saves easy enough (volume of attacks) although the lack of I4 and above will hurt against marines

Bikers are hard hitters but fairly fragile (4+ save) but the cover save they get is nice, and the do hit very hard, but small units dont do you any favours.

battle wagons are pretty hard, but side armour and open topped means they could go down very quickly, and they can get pretty expensive so yeah....

big mek with shokk attack gun.....one of the top runners for best damn gun in the game, I did get luckey (lowest strength I rolled was 6) and got alot of hits with scatter, but damn......

lootas.......freaking great, I did get luckey and rolled 3's and 2's for the amount of shots, but stuff dies, set them up in a good fire spot and let loose

tankbustas, well mine ran on the first turn (I thought they had a longer range gun so didn't move them) but they were cheap so

Nob's....well mine never got into combat but took three turns of shooting and still had the painboy alive at the end of the game, fnp is very powerful, and cybork bodies is always fun

warboss, well he didn't get into combat, but he was under 100pts and is freaking hardcore so I'm happy with him

All in all, I gotta say I love the new dex and love playing with my orks, even though chaos will be my main army, orks are pretty darn cool
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2007, 19:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky
Default Re: Played a game with the new Ork Dex

Sounds like you had a good time with your Orks.

Thanks for sharing your feelings on the codex. I look forward to getting my hands on it.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2007, 15:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex

I played a 2000 point game using the new codex against eldar last night. It was definitely a fun game and I pulled off the win!

These new orks have a lower points cost for practically everything with a higher potential for shootiness, and furious charge makes the boyz even more effective against light armoured troops than before.

My HQ's were a mega-armour warboss and a big mek with a shokk attack gun. For elites I ran 6 x lootas, 6 x tankbustas and 10 x kommandoes. Troops I had a mob of 30 boyz, 12 'ard boyz in a trukk, 12 boyz in a trukk, and 15 grots. Fast Attack I had 5 warbikes, 3 warbuggies with assorted weapons, and 9 stormboyz. Heavy Support was a battlewagon with a killcannon, looted wagon with a boom gun, and a deff dread with 2 megablastas.

Now is it just me or was it impossible to field this much stuff in the old codex? We played table quarters and I pulled off a crushing victory due to the sheer weight of everything being thrown at my opponent. 3 fire prisms, 10 harlequins, 2 wave serpents with aspect warriors, and 20 dire avengers could not stop this orky green tide of madness.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
sneroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2007, 22:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneroplex
I played a 2000 point game using the new codex against eldar last night. It was definitely a fun game and I pulled off the win!

These new orks have a lower points cost for practically everything with a higher potential for shootiness, and furious charge makes the boyz even more effective against light armoured troops than before.

My HQ's were a mega-armour warboss and a big mek with a shokk attack gun. For elites I ran 6 x lootas, 6 x tankbustas and 10 x kommandoes. Troops I had a mob of 30 boyz, 12 'ard boyz in a trukk, 12 boyz in a trukk, and 15 grots. Fast Attack I had 5 warbikes, 3 warbuggies with assorted weapons, and 9 stormboyz. Heavy Support was a battlewagon with a killcannon, looted wagon with a boom gun, and a deff dread with 2 megablastas.

Now is it just me or was it impossible to field this much stuff in the old codex? We played table quarters and I pulled off a crushing victory due to the sheer weight of everything being thrown at my opponent. 3 fire prisms, 10 harlequins, 2 wave serpents with aspect warriors, and 20 dire avengers could not stop this orky green tide of madness.
a couple of questions for ya, how did you find the stormboyz in such a small unit, me I'm thinking of going with the whole unit of 20 cause they can kill themsleves when they move (not that I'm complaining, it's orky)

also how did you deal with harlies, they seem to worry me cause I can't really rely on my heavy guns like my chaos (though loota's and shokk attack gun are awesome)
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2007, 23:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

storm boys tend to work good in bigger squads, say sixteen including a nob with klaw, this way they can take a bit of fire, kill themselves, whatever, and still be effective unit,

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2007, 01:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

In response to adreal:

I only have 9 stormboyz with a PK nob from before, so that's how I fielded them. Now that they're cheaper I may take more stormboyz in the future. I find that 9 is usually enough to put a hurting on something and they're easy to hide, but they're fragile and this unit is almost always removed from the game or reduced to below half.

Funny thing about the Harlequins, they are crazy... but I guess my buddy had high hopes for them because he threw them at my mob of 30 boyz on the 2nd turn (by then my boyz suffered massive casualties from exploding vehicles). After the first round the boyz still had enough left alive to be fearless, but he left them stuck in and on my turn the stormboyz dove in from behind and flanked them. You're basically looking at about 20+ boyz surrounding the harlequin unit, yes they're killy but they're T3 with a 5+ save. When there was only 2 harlequin's left he used hit and run to get away but they were gunned down by a wartrukk drive-by shooting.
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
Old 31 Dec 2007, 18:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Glad to see fellow Ork players enjoying the codex. I have yet to get in a game with it, haven't found time and want to finish painting my Necrons before I dive back into Orks, but I can't wait. I plan to play a few games with some proxies to really get a feel for what units I really want before I start making purchases beyond the basic boyz.
Old 02 Jan 2008, 14:09   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hopefully not too off topic but regarding your 'karreeeeening trukks'. Played a game in which one of my broadsides sniped my opponents trukk at the last moment causing it to drive off the table edge. We weren't sure if this meant that all hands aboard the trukk were lost as the codex didn't appear to cover this particular eventuality.

As it was we agreed that as many as could fit under the blast marker with its hole at the very edge of the table, jumped off with the loss of everyone else. Of course they then got their own back next turn by slaughtering my broadsides but it was good for a laugh . Rest of my army got destroyed by the boyz with jetpacks. Those extra inches are very nasty.

Anyone else come across this or theorise an answer to this conundrum?
Old 02 Jan 2008, 14:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't know of any specific rules for that either, however I would say that the Trukk and all aboard are lost. Normally when things go off the table in a game, things we have rules for, those things are treated as destroyed/no longer in game, or just disregarded.
Old 02 Jan 2008, 17:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah when I first saw the monstrous scatter for the kareen rule I was kinda scared, and still am. 3d6" is an enormous random factor, couldn't they have bumped it down to like 2d6 or 1d6?