Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Burnas vs. Lootas?
Old 27 Dec 2007, 15:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Burnas vs. Lootas?

Alright, first of all: I do understand that these two units fulfill completely different roles; I also understand that with the box and 4 spare Boys I can get 4 Lootas, 4 Burnaz and a Mek out of the box.

My main problem is that I love the look of the new Burnas, and I desperately want to field them, yet, compared to the Lootas, they look... well... like a bad choice.

Without a ride, they will be footslogging (unless I risk putting them in a Looted Wagon, which is, frankly, to not an option for me, since Looted Wagons are a no-go for me, both fluffwise and gameplay-wise), which hurts, since their main strength are close-quarter combats (either template range or CC).

The best plan I came up with was to deploy them behind a screen of Killa Kans and Deffdreads; the bulk of the walkers protecting and screening their advance, and the Meks of the Burna Mob repairing any damage the Kans might take. Since Meks are for free in a Burna Mob, three Meks (Slugga and Choppa; I don`t like the Kustom Mega Blasta) +1-2 Oilers can keep the wave going, and then assist the Kans in close quarter fights, Waaaagh!ing out behind their screen, and then bringing the hurt upon their power-armoured enemies.

Other ideas?

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 15:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Burnas vs. Lootas?

well you could put lots of armour on the Ork Trukk kit and use the Looted wagons stats but callit a eavy trukk lol
I like the Kan wall with bigmek kff and burnas

Timokrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 16:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've done my fair share of Big Mek with a KFF behind a Kan wall and Burna Boyz behind that. The problem I've run into is dealing with templates. The person I play the most plays Marines and always takes his Whirlwind and manages to destroy my Burna Boyz after a few turns of fire with it. The last time, I played a Sister's army and his Seraphim just skirted my Kans and flamed my boyz to nothing.

I'm not saying it isn't a valid tactic, it is, just pointing out the the weak spot with it.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 16:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

yeah so i suposse take some Def Koptas with Rokkits aroun 2 units of 2 to go hunt Indirect shooters (whirlwind, Lobbas, Defilers) what ever the case,

Old 27 Dec 2007, 16:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree, Deffkoptas are going to come in REAL handy for dealing with those type of units. I'm planning to field at least 2 of them for most of my lists just for that reason.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 17:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Deff Koptas and Kommandos... gotta love the models... ;D
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 18:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

yeah I would use 2 20 man units of boyz on each of the sides of the Burnas to draw fire away from them I would also have a Nobz unit behind the Burnaz make them look incunspicous

Old 27 Dec 2007, 20:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I used to run a kan+burnas+KFF screen under the old rules, and I found far too bulky to be viable. The kans often get stunned/shaken, or immobolised and bogged down every second turn, slowing down the already slow march of the burnas. Its really too unweildly.

Id advise running a basic cattlewagon, and just packing the boys in there. The looted wagon doesnt IMO provide enough protection to be a viable transport(and lacks the speed of a trukk to justify that lack of protection.)
Old 28 Dec 2007, 11:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

What about field a battle wagon, put a deffrolla and a few bigshootas to keep it cheaper and mount the burnas they will have a 14 front armour to advance more safely. :P