Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Codex review. :D
Old 25 Dec 2007, 16:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to inuyasha1162
Default New Codex review. :D

So...For Christmas, I was surprised with an ork spearhead...and most surprised with the codex on top... And decided to write a review. Hope you enjoy

At first, You notice how fat this thing is! It's 104 pages.! Pretty big for a codex (well...at least compared to the last ork one) Also, if you haven't guessed, it's in the new codex format. Kind of a bummer. If you have the .pdf, it's very similar to that, almost no difference in rules.

The content of the pages breaks down as follows:

24 pages of fluff (not bad!)

40 pages of units (army list/detail)

about 18-20 color pictures.

about 6 or so Army building tips/sample lists

Of course, I am missing some parts, but it was a rough break down

The one very, very sad thing though, is that there is only 1 page for conversions. And it's only simple plastic conversions. Also, there are no pictures of battlewagons or anything looted. Just large pictures of the new stuff.

The picture pages are pretty nice though. They contain close up pictures of every unit (categorized by FOC slot) as well as each Clan.

There was a nice surprise in there though. 3 sample army lists. One for a "green horde", one for "speed freaks", and one for a "big mek army".
The green horde list was pretty standard, as well as the speed freaks. But the big mek army was pretty cool. It had lots of kans/dreadnoughts, as well as lootas/burnas, and a decent amount of boyz/vehicles. Each sample is 1,500 points.

Overall, the codex is pretty good. It's my favorite of all the new releases (and not just because I'm a green skin!)

Pros
-lots of pictures
-nice sample lists (if in need)
-some good reading.

Cons
-1 page of conversions.
- the new format.

Thanks for reading
inuyasha1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 01:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New Codex review. :D

I just have a couple of things to add.

As a proud owner of the Spearhead-box, I can only say:

The new stuff rocks!

The bikes are perfect, with loads of bits and enough variation to personalize every single Bike (my favorite is the Grot that desperately holds onto the bannapole of a Biker). Even better, the Bikerbox comes with a Powerklaw, so you can amass quite a lot Klaws for your Nobs.

The Burna/Loota set is great, as well. True, there are only enough bits to make 4 Burnas or Lootas and one Mek, BUT the bodies used (feet and torso) are run-of-the-mill boy plastics, which means that if you have a couple of spare Boyz lying around you can easily outfit 4 Lootas, 4 Burnas and a single Mek. Furthermore, the sprue comes with both a custom Mega Blasta, a Big Shoota (complete with a great backpack with Ammo Runt), and a Rokkit Launcha - so bits galore, and all of you who still have old Boy boxed sets lying around can finally outfit all of your Boyz with Heavy weapons.
So far Iīve only built Burnaz, but the parts fit perfectly, and look great. My only gripe is that all the poses look similar, but then again, there aren`t as many ways to hold a Burna; besides, there`s enough material lying around in the box to make your own conversions easily.

Yay!
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 19:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

one thing to say.......ahem......stop bloody moaning for peeks sake they are new the kniks will be fixed...i mean cmon did you really think it would be a groks gift....*takes deep breathe* ok. every thing in games workshop has a flaw some where..example mega armor.every one thinks "look great a 2+ save!"but then they read and discover the down sides!

ps. its not about the models or the rules its about how you use them in your waghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

A.S.M signing of. waghh!

two of the best film quotes EVER:

One crow, sorrow. Two crows, joy. Three crows, a letter! Four crows, a boy. Five crows, silver. Six crows, gold! Seven crows, a secret never to be told.

Congratulations, Monkey! You just bought yourself a fighting chance!
jacktheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

...uh...did you even read the thread? No one's complaining about the rules. ;D

But yeah, when you say new format I suppose you mean fluff, unit entries, hobby section, then army list/wargear in the back? Because that is kind of annoying.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 20:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to inuyasha1162

@the blue worm

Er... next time read

@ sidstyler

Yes that is what i mean. The flipping back and forth is annoying
inuyasha1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2007, 23:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha1162
@the blue worm

Er... next time read

@ sidstyler

Yes that is what i mean. The flipping back and forth is annoying
not if you've played fasntasy for.....well since they got army books
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 14:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I, too, got the codex for christmas. It's the most poorly written codex that I've seen to date. There are rules inconsistencies everywhere, typos all over the place, and it looks as though, if they even had an editor, s/he was drunk while editing it. The whole debacle about whether shoota boy mobs can have nobs with powerklaws is one example of this. The fact that, unlike every other Nob for the last ten years, biker nobs only have one wound is another.

The rule for the Waaagh is suposed to only work for infantry, but is mentioned on non-infantry units. What's up with that.

Yes, the pictures and fluff are nice. The new models are very very nice. But, I just wish they'd start putting even a quarter of the effort into the rulebooks that they put into the models. It's a real shame that they have these beautiful new models that people won't play with once they realize that they keep losing when they use them.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 16:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I agree with Redbeard - at first glance, the new Dex is great, but the rules have more holes in them than swiss cheese...

I guess it`s a case of "20 pages rules, 30 pages Errata".

But apart from the holes, I`m not sure if the new Dex can be called "weak" by any means - mind you, I still haven`t played, but tricks like bombsquigs sound potentially devastating to Skimmers or Artillery; Lootas can be just plain mean; and the abundance of Meks mean that Ork vehicles and Walkers will easily recover from any damage they might receive.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote