Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

warboss with the big choppa and NOT the power claw?
Old 23 Dec 2007, 04:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default warboss with the big choppa and NOT the power claw?

weve played it tons already, and the big choppa seems to fit the warboss better then a power claw, if your army is adjusted to complement it. example.

HQ – WARBOSS

OPTIONS: slugga, big choppa, attack squig, cybork body, ‘eavy armour

Good Stuff = charge soon and often – attack with 7 dice, get STR 8 (+1 for charge +2 for big choppa) and inititive 5, kill toughness 4 leaders in one crushing blow! Or decimate squads of troops.

Bad stuff = slow.. needs a truck! A bike would be nice too, but id rather place the 40 points on a ton of boys in the truck with him, he sucks against vehicles or drednoughts., and people that roll dice sooo well that they make all their armour saves.

Why not give him a power claw? Anybody can have a dang claw… the warboss is the only thing that can swing tons of times and do so with a high STR, INT, WS all at once. He is a hand to hand champ and should be going first, thus killing everybody before he gets hit back anyway, or odds are that his high toughness and possible save will keep him alive till next round anyhow….. and that’s assuming you didn’t take a squad of nobz with claws and a waaagh banner to go after him and bat clean up!

*batting clean up is a "baseball" term... refers to a batter (slotted 4th in the order) who has a huge homerun potential and/or a high batting avg. he is used to drive in the runners which hopefully got on base before his at bat.*

and if you live in the U.K.

* "baseball" is a sport where gambling and illegal stereroid use is highly regarded by it's champions *
Old 23 Dec 2007, 05:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: warboss with the big choppa and NOT the power claw?

While I agree the big choppa can indeed be useful, your stats are off a bit. Warboss starts at 4 attacks, then +1 to charge, and the +1 for the attack squig, so 6 attacks total. The big choppa is a two-handed weapon, and thus no extra attacks for an additional close combat weapon.

Anyway, I like the big choppa under the new codex. As you're saying, it lets you swing at initiative (which with furious charge lets you swing before beakies!), and put a good number of high strength attacks to use. The downsides though is no +1 for extra CC weapon and armor saves can be made.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 14:37   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hmmm.... I new to Orks (and 40k in general) and had always discounted the big choppa when creating sample armies, but I have to say I'm intrigued by it now. Six attacks that wound on 2+ simultaneous with a chaplain or captain would be better than getting scragged before the claw even gets to swing. Yeah, they'd get the armor saves. Sometimes I wish the armor save rule in 40k was a little more like fantasy... the idea that the armor save vs. a little girl throwing marshmallows is the same as for a huge Ork swinging a sharpened girder just never sat well with me. Oh, well.... ya gotta abstract somewhere I guess. ;D

Plus... gotta tell you.... the idea of converting up a big choppa is starting to grow on me. I've seen plenty of pk's (heck, my own warboss has a big converted pk) but I've never seen a big choppa on a table. hmmmmmmm........ (wanders off to inventory the styrene....)
Old 23 Dec 2007, 14:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

I'd have him with a power claw on a bike, send him into a unit that isn't gonna cause you much harm back if things go wrong, but think about it,
charge into a squad of marines, you've got t6 on a bike, three wounds, 4+ armour save from bike and an invulnerable save if you like, them normal marines aren't gonna touch you, then you swipe with your power claw and smush them all, 4 attacks to start, +1 for charging, +1 for squig.+1 for two weapons, and before that you've got your dakka gun!

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2007, 18:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
While I agree the big choppa can indeed be useful, your stats are off a bit. Warboss starts at 4 attacks, then +1 to charge, and the +1 for the attack squig, so 6 attacks total. The big choppa is a two-handed weapon, and thus no extra attacks for an additional close combat weapon.

Anyway, I like the big choppa under the new codex. As you're saying, it lets you swing at initiative (which with furious charge lets you swing before beakies!), and put a good number of high strength attacks to use. The downsides though is no +1 for extra CC weapon and armor saves can be made.

oh yeah, typo - 6 attacks is the way we played it..... and he had a shotta too.