Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tired of Landspeeders/Vypers/Piranhas ............ ? LOOTAS - New Codex
Old 17 Dec 2007, 19:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tired of Landspeeders/Vypers/Piranhas ............ ? LOOTAS - New Codex

Landspeeders, small, fast and cheap (point's wise) with loads of AutoCannon/Heavy Bolter/Multimelta Dakka. Vypers, small, fast and not quite as cheap, but once again armed with Twin Linked Shuriken Catapults, Starcannons or other nasties. Piranhas fall into this self same category with other loads of Dakka on a fast frame.

What to do with these mincemeat makers of mayham?

The New Ork Codex has an answer!

Lootas!

Or more specifically, the new Deffguns that the Lootas can take. A range of 48", combined with Strength 7, AP4 and a D3 for the amount of shots makes this wonderful weapon a massive Flyswatter for all those fast pesky things that usually run rings around the Orks!

You roll the D3 for the whole Mob. A mob of 15 Lootas will average 30 shots. Ten Strength 7 hits will put a world of hurt on most skimmers.

They have the range ........... They have the Dakka .............

This is gonna be fun .................

Best Regards,

Old 17 Dec 2007, 19:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tired of Landspeeders/Vypers/Piranhas ............ ? LOOTAS - New Codex

Very interesting, what is the maximum for limit for Loota squads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 20:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tired of Landspeeders/Vypers/Piranhas ............ ? LOOTAS - New Codex

I think the Burna/Loota box is the box I'm most anxious for. I can't wait to get together a Loota squad. Vehicles aren't a big concern of mine with the guys I regularly play against, but throwing a lot of dakka at Marines with a 48" range and wounding on 2's sounds like fun too!

The max is 15 for a Loota squad.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 20:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

One thing to watch out for with lootas though is that once an opponent figures out how deadly they are, they are sure to make them a priority target. And with their smaller mob sizes they will be more susceptible to morale checks. The Heavy nature of their guns means that they'll be staying in one spot and thus cannot perform the sort of pop up and shoot tactic chaos players can use with their obliterators. However, there are ways to protect them.

Cover: Well duh. Find a nice piece of cover with a good view and plonk em down. If there's a nice ruin I reckon it will make a great little home for lootas. The problem is this ideal piece of cover doesn't always happen.

Bunker-Wagon: Basically, a cheap battlewagon for them to sit in. While the BW lives, the lootas won't be harmed, plus the tank will get to fire some big shootas as well. The downside is that if it gets killed the lootas will take wounds and end up pinned for a turn. Still Battlewagons are now almost as tough as a Leman Russ, so it can take some effort to pull this off

Vehicle Screen:
This is kinda like the bunker wagon in that it involves vehicles, but does not actually cause the lootas to deploy within them. You can set up a screen of cheap buggies or even killa kans in front of the lootas to block LoS to them. Then in your turn, simply move the vehicles out of the way. The problem is if the vehicles are killed they could explode, killing some of the lootas and blocking LoS. This makes this a bit of a gamble, but remember, the wrecks can also be used as cover, so it's not all bad if they die.

BYO (bring your own) Cover: Basically, sit a big mek with a Kustom Force field near them. BAM! instant cover save. Not quite as effective as the others at their peak, but this one relies a lil less on being lucky and you opponent not blowing up your vehicles/not getting the cover you want/etc.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2007, 23:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

:shifty:

I'll have to keep an eye out for these boyz in my battles...

Good to see Orks getting a good amount of love after their neglect, though!
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 01:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

fish ead your a genius I can already see the new dakka wagon a battle wagon with a killa cannon a normal cannon some big shootas or rockits and a ten man loota squad dead in the middle.

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2007, 03:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ork......zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZ
fish ead your a genius I can already see the new dakka wagon a battle wagon with a killa cannon a normal cannon some big shootas or rockits and a ten man loota squad dead in the middle.
Remember though, the deffguns are heavy weapons, so you won't be able to move and fire. Even if they're aboard a BW. The killkannon's range isn't that great and so may not be the best investment on a wagon like this.
Quote:
Old 18 Dec 2007, 15:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Another plus is that, frankly, the new plastic Loota models look flat out coooool!!

Best,
Old 19 Dec 2007, 04:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Aye, the models are quite nice. It's just too bad that they chose that particular loadout for the boxed set. I mean, why isn't there a 5th deffgun in case we don't want a mek? I think the set would've been much better if they tossed in an extra deffgun+burna and gave us 5 more bodies and legs for 10-15 dollars more.

I think $45 Canadian (or $35 US) for 5 Lootas AND 5 Burnas (with the option to build one as a mek) would make for a much better box of models.
Quote:
Old 19 Dec 2007, 05:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

I agree that the Loota Boys will be awesome...
I have to admit I giggled like a little school girl when I read their entry in the
codex.

Happy Times :3
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote