Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork Nob Mobz - Hard Hitting or too Small at 10 Nobz?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 13:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Ork Nob Mobz - Hard Hitting or too Small at 10 Nobz?

The rumored ability of Ork Mobz to now be independent Mobz of up to ten Nobz sounds pretty cool. But with a max leadership of seven and a low mob count of ten, they may break a little to easily. Bosspoles will be allowed (these will let the Ork player re-roll failed leaderships), but being below 11 in count, Nob Mobz will not be fearless.

There is the advantage of being able to take a Battlewagon as a transport with the Nob Mobz. In addition, a Waaagh Bana can be taken to help weapon skill.

I am thinking about taking a Minnie Mob of three Nobz in a Trukk that are armed with Big Choppas and have Eavy Armour along with a Waaagh Bana. It would be a quick Slapdown for a large (but isolated) threat.

What do you think about the new Nob Mobz?

Best Regards,

Old 30 Nov 2007, 14:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Ork Nob Mobz - Hard Hitting or too Small at 10 Nobz?

Something else to bear in mind, though they are not fearless under 12 models, they do get the Mob Rule where they can opt to use the mob size for leadership. So 10 Nobz would effectively be at leadership 10. Of course this will eventually decrease as you lose Nobz, putting you at the 7 LD.

That being said, I personally wouldn't chance footslogging them though. As you're saying, transport is going to be key with these guys. I do think though that 3 Nobz geared as you're saying and with transport is probably not going to get you your points back. Now, if we were talking mega armored Nobz then I'd be on board with the idea, but 3 Nobz with 'eavy armor I just don't see accomplishing a whole lot. They may be able to handle a small threat, but that's a lot of points to throw at a small threat if you ask me.

I probably won't field non-mega armored Nobz under 5 models. I really think that's going to be the minimal needed for what you're after, a small hammer of a unit. That will get you to 10 wounds, which should let you survive that first round of assault. Even with furious charge you're still only swinging with Marines, and though the Nobz should fair better then the Marines, you also don't want to put yourself in a position where chances of retreating are going to be a problem for you.

My last thought on Nobz is that a Painboy is going to be another key element with this unit. Conferring feel no pain to the unit will further help ensure their survivability, obviously. It's not a cheap model, but I feel it's worth it. Plus, the Painboy opens up the ability to get cybork bodies, if you wanted to really make this unit a threat.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 14:47   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, that is why they will often be attached to a Warboss as a retinue.

With the Warboss's leadership being a higher than usual, they will instead use the leadership of the boss if they ever get mowed down. With the Bosspole, you can expect them to be quite close to being unbreakable. With Cybork body they will be tough. Add that with bikes, and you have a fast and nasty platform of death. Add that with powerklaw, and you need not fear anything.

But the bad point of this madness is that it will be very expensive, but if they made it into close combat.....say your prayers. And from their speed and other stuff, they will kill things like nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 09:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ten ork nobs will get there in a trukk. Remember that wound wise they get 2 each. With eavy armour on they are equivalent to 30 models against basic weopons! They will make it into combat byturn 2 aswell.Take one PF and 2-3 Uge choppas. Your problem is making sure the trukk gets close to your opponant. I suggest a reinforced ram and just hurtling towards a flank with a number of 'stepping stone' units. That way you ensure that the mob can always get an assault move. A well protected, expensive nob unit will get it's points back if used right.

Just remember that you don't fire if you have waaaghhhh'ed cause you lose your fleet of foot. Yesterday I had a chance to slaughter a whole flank of elder and I fired my pistols...der! I'm an Ork, I don't think. It cost me on that flank and I lost. However it was an enjoyable match. I had left a trukk, a nob and a mekboy on a bike. He had 3 dire avengers, his farseer(my RL missed him 3 times-one TL), a crippled War Walker(squadron of 3 I had slamed for 4 turns with a PF and 4 attacks) and an Exarch from dark reapers. A stompingly enjoyable scrap.

The low point of that battle was my warboss charging a Wraithlord whom I thought had strenght 8 when it was 10! Instant death - Ouch!!! Lesson is get your facts right! In another battle I thought a Lascannon was S10 when it was S9. I assumed my general had been Insta Killed and took him off.

Old 05 Dec 2007, 14:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you're going to go big, go BIG. Ten nobs should have at least five powerklaws. You don't want to be counting on that one guy to handle anything rough.

Though, I'm in the camp that says their LD is too poor to be effective for their cost. A trukk might help get them there, but you're still swinging after a lot of other things, and if you lose three models, you're now running on a '7'. It isn't the first charge that scares me, it's the being stuck in the open after wiping out the first squad you assault (that will rarely cost as much as you) and then losing three models to shooting.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2007, 17:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Personally IŽd grab atleast 50% of only powerklaws. The whole reason with nobs and megarmor are powerklaws :P
Old 05 Dec 2007, 22:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
If you're going to go big, go BIG. Ten nobs should have at least five powerklaws. You don't want to be counting on that one guy to handle anything rough.

Though, I'm in the camp that says their LD is too poor to be effective for their cost. A trukk might help get them there, but you're still swinging after a lot of other things, and if you lose three models, you're now running on a '7'. It isn't the first charge that scares me, it's the being stuck in the open after wiping out the first squad you assault (that will rarely cost as much as you) and then losing three models to shooting.
The other day my ard boyz(10) managed to wipe out elder fire dragons, swooping hawks and a Wraithlord and the only major weopon in that unit was a uge choppa!!! Think what a unit of nobs can do with 2-3 uge choppas. Half with PK is well expensive.
Old 06 Dec 2007, 11:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't buy it. Either you took down the wraithlord with rokkits somehow earlier and the mob just finished it off, or it's an unbelievable story.

A big choppa wounds a wraithlord on a '6' and he gets an armour save. A powerklaw wounds it on a '4' and denys it a save. The odds of landing one wound on a wraithlord with a big choppa are 1/9 on the turn you charge, and less the following turns. I'm willing to believe that you put one wound on it. I cannot believe that you got three wounds on the wraithlord, with your big choppa, before your 'ard boyz ran.
Old 06 Dec 2007, 12:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Gokbait

It's possible that he was incredibly lucky? A poor defense for balance, regardless.
Old 06 Dec 2007, 13:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If the wraithlord had only one wound left when he engaged it, then yes, he could have gotten lucky (not even incredible luck) and killed it.

But, if it still had three wounds and he charged it with 10 boyz and a huge choppa nob, the odds against him winning the combat are astronomically against it.

Including all its attacks, the nob has an expected wounds of 2/9 on a wraithlord, on the charge. Turns after the charge, that drops to 1/12 (owing to both lower strength, and fewer attacks). On average, it's going to take that nob 34 turns to get those wounds. The boyz cannot hurt it.

The wraithlord, on the other hand, has an expected kill every turn. Any turn the wraithlord gets its kill, and the nob doesn't, the orks have to test Ld, outnumbered, and against a decreasing Ld with each kill. The wraithlord also has a better initiative for sweeping advances when the orks do break.

It's one thing to say that they finished off a wounded wraithlord. It's another to claim that the nob in question killed it outright. One is lucky, but believable, and isn't outside the realm of possibility. The other is exaggeration and the odds against it happening are staggering.