Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Rumored New Codex Tankbustas ...........
Old 18 Nov 2007, 18:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Rumored New Codex Tankbustas ...........

The new Codex Tankbustas look to be the Ork answer to the mighty Landraider. Put a dozen of these models into the new dedicated transport and you have an effective (and expensive) answer to those armour 14 monstrosities that we call Landraiders and Monoliths.

There appear to be two main options. There's the "Jump 'Em" and the "We'll Leave When Ya Pry Our Cold Dead Fingas From Our Rokkits" schools of thought. The first is Offensive, the second Defensive.

With the Jump 'Em option, one needs a Trukk (Dedicated Transport Vehicle) loaded with Tankbustas. Since every Tankbusta will be given a Rokkit Launcha as part of his base point value, a dozen Rokkit shots from a max loaded Trukk is now possible. Even with our low Ork player Ballistic skills, a dozen Rokkit Shots will make even an Armour 14 Vehicle take notice. Throw in a potshot from the Truk as well and that 13 Rokkit Shots.

There is even a variation on the Jump 'Em theme of "Shoot 'Em" (as listed above). It is "Shoot 'Em AND Jump 'Em". Pull three Rokkits out of you Mob and replace them with Two Tankhammers and a Power Klaw armed Nob.

I must admit that the whole idea of the new Ork Tankhammer sounds so ........... Orky ........... The whole idea of a Rokkit Round strapped to the end of a length of pipe being hammered against the armoured side of a vehicle just sounds like a logical Ork answer to the age old Ork problem of hitting vehicles through shooting. One can almost imagine the Tankhammer armed Ork saying "'Ere's ya BS2!" as he puts the hammer down on the target vehicle.

A Combo attack of 10 Rokkit Shots and a whole slug of attacks in the Assault phase with multiple Tankhammer and Power Klaw hits is going to shred a Landraider. You should average at least nine "bangs" against the Landraider with at minimum one glance and one or two pens out of it (pens are courtesy of the Tankhammers). That is the rough average.

The "We'll Leave When Ya Pry Our Cold Dead Fingas From Our Rokkits" is just a maxed out group of Tankbustas with a Nob (armed with Rokkit and no Power Klaw) that sets up under cover next to an objective and waits ......... 15 Rokkit Shots is serious business.

Are there potential problems with the New Tankbustas? Yes. Number one, the whole Mob will have a Bullseye painted on it. Expect to get hit faster than a Panzerkampfwagen by Allied aircraft in Europe in 1945. Number two, the unit is expensive with the "Jump 'Em" mob and Trukk at 265 points and the "Cold Dead Fingas" mob running at roughly 240.

There is also a new Rumored rule about the Tankbustas having no choice in attacking the closet vehicle that is in line of sight. A clever Marine player just may make that vehicle an unoccupied Rhino or a Landspeeder moving at 12.0" plus.

Necron players, on the other hand, have no other vehicles. Tankbusta mobz will virtually guarantee that aggressive use of a Monolith will probably end in a quick failure of the Monolith.

I am looking forward to the new Tankbusta models (featured in this months White Dwarf) and the new Codex release!

Best Regards,
Old 18 Nov 2007, 18:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Rumored New Codex Tankbustas ...........

Nice analysis!

I think IŽll favor the "Jump `em" approach - Bad Moons don`t walk when they can drive.

Besides, if the rumour holds and they have to shoot at the next enemy vehicle, I can easily use the speed of the Trukk to bring them where they should be...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2007, 20:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Unfortunately their is a big flaw in at least one of my theories. It was pointed out by a member that uses the moniker Ironshark on another forum.

Tankbustas cannot use Trukks (fast transport) in the new Ork Codex, only the Looted Wagons or Battlewagons.

One could still go the full 12.0" (13.0" with Red paint) and get out an additional 3.0" into cover. But your not going to get up into Assault that turn unless someone is silly enough to high speed a Landraider or Monolith straight up the front and center.

Best,
Old 19 Nov 2007, 13:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

It looks as if there is another rule for the new Tankbustas that will also affect the game. Apparently they must, and I repeat must, attempt to fire on and assault any vehicle that is in line of sight ........... even if it happens to be out of range.

I can see clever opponents using an empty Rhino or a blazing Landspeeder as bait against our new Tankbustas.

We are not without some defense against this tactic, however. While the Tankbustas must attempt to shoot and assault any vehicle within LOS, there is nothing written that they (the Tankbustas) have to be the first unit of ours to shoot. Blow up the offending bait target with some Zzaps and proceed as normal.

In addition, I can see countering their cheap (or fast) bait vehicle with a Warbuggy that blocks the line of sight between the bait vehicle and the Tankbusta Mob.

Best Regards,
Old 19 Nov 2007, 13:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm on the fence with Tankbustas under the new rules. We do get a boatload of rokkits cheap, but the Glory Hog rule is really going to require some finesse to get around and let you do what you want to actually do. Now that we aren't able to min/max Sluggas or Shootas with rokkits, we're almost left having to use Tankbustas for taking out armor. Going to be interesting to say the least.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 17:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
I'm on the fence with Tankbustas under the new rules. We do get a boatload of rokkits cheap, but the Glory Hog rule is really going to require some finesse to get around and let you do what you want to actually do. Now that we aren't able to min/max Sluggas or Shootas with rokkits, we're almost left having to use Tankbustas for taking out armor. Going to be interesting to say the least.
Well, Flash Gits are - apprently - fortaking out well-armored units. I mean, a 50% chance to ignore Power armour? A 33% chance to ignore Terminator armour? Gimme Gimme Gimme - though they DO come with a price tag...

As for the so-called "Glory Hog"-rule: Yes, it makes life harder.

But, on the other hand - mounted on a vehicle (Deffwagon, whatever is available), they could evade the vehicles. Furthermore, how many armies have throw-away vehicles? Land Speeders are NOT throw-away - they are excellent for objective grabbing in the last turn, and if a Marine player uses them to "shield" his other tanks, he sure is a nutty guy. The only "scrap"-tanks i can think of right now are the new Rhinos - or "mobile cover", as I prefer to call them.
Besides, you get to CHOOSE which unit shoots first - it is possible to pop the "shielding" vehicle with another unit first.

So while inconvenient, I can see a cunnin` Ork player circumventing this rule on a regular basis.
Besides, if a rule which makes the unit a little bit more tricky to use makes da oys much cheaper, I have no reason to object ;D
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2007, 18:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think i will use the 'Jump Em' one. Very, well, suicidal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2007, 20:57   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

That "must... shoot... tanks!" special rule is what is pushing me off the new tankbustas.

It's not because I have to fire at tanks, it's because I have to fire at the closest tank. So - If I wanted to pop open that russ as i have a near perfect shot on it's rear armour I can't because that useless almost dead chimera is just that Inch closer to me.

And what happens if I have some drop trooping space marine player? Those AP3 Rokkits would come in mighty handy. But instead we'll end up firing at the drop pods they flew in on.

Great.

Quote:
Furthermore, how many armies have throw-away vehicles?
Lets see:

Space Marines: Landspeeders (the basic one IS cheap. And furthermore because it's fast it can easily be use to distract the tankbustas.) Rhinos with their passangers droped off, the landraider is pretty much imune to the boyz rokkits.

Imperial guard: Sentinels (just imagine being able to deep strike them in!) Chimeras, not precisely cheap but they are cheaper than the Leman russes. Hell, add the russes to the list aswell - Lets see those boyz batter at that armour 14 front.

Orks: Well... War trakks, war buggies, trukks. All easy and cheap to get. Hell, in the new dex you could buy a small mob a trukk and not deploy them in it and use the fast speed of the machine like the land speeder.

Eldar: Vypers and Falcons both fall into the land raider catagory, as well as the Land speeder bit. Super fast vehicles that are dead hard to penetrate? Just plonk one close to the boyz and watch the boyz just miss. Even when they hit they will struggle to destroy it.

Tau: similar to eldar. Vehicles that are skimmers and with a fairly high speed. Whats more the hammerheads have a nice long ranged cannon. Not quiet as long as the bass... Oh, wait...

Necrons: Ever wondered why people find it sooo hard to kill? Now can you imagine these rather pathetic rokkits getting past it's armour and defenses?

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2007, 22:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think that the Crons may be Nerfed by the new Tankbustas, Silk.

For one, they only have one vehicle (unless age has caught up to me and addled me brain). I'll shoot at Monoliths all day. Granted, the Rokkits are going to need sixes to glance. But that pair of Tankhammers getting in six assault attacks (on the charge) at a strength ten are gonna hurt even a Monolith.

Tankhammers be bad!

Best,

Old 20 Nov 2007, 04:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Rogue_FireWarrior

keep in mind skimmers are much easyer to penatrate with the new ork grabin claw holding them in place

wins:21 Draws:9 Losses:8
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn (working on campaign)
They may be laughing at your red paint jobs or bat-eared grots when you deploy, but after loosing a few units to "da green horde" they'll learn to take your sonz of funguz seriously.
Rogue_FireWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote