Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What tactics suit you?
Old 09 Nov 2007, 10:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default What tactics suit you?

We've heard the rumours and some of us have seen the book(can't wait to January) what tactics will you use. I thought it would be great for newcomers and veterans alike to overflow with ideas for their armies. I'll start the ball rolling.

In the new army I envisioned loads of shoota boyz(bayonet shoota's) in Trukks. These will shoot across the feild taking their chance through woods etc I know some of them may fail but as an Ork I accept the gamble cause I do what no one else would do. I will rely on some luck getting my boyz into the fight.Grot riggers will help if a mob gets stuck.

I don't care too much for KOS but I do love the idea of a vehicle mounted army. One vehicle may well contain a mekboy, FFP, grabbin klaw, EA etc to deal with floaters and unflushables.

My Warboss will join a mob till combat is joined and then rampage on alone. Or maybe I can produce a true monster of a model using the Warbike rules...?

Old 09 Nov 2007, 13:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: What tactics suit you?

I'm not really sure how I plan to play things yet. My initial thoughts are to make use of the firing support we now have in the form of Kans, Big Guns, Lootas, maybe even Flash Gits, to advance the core army forward.
Old 09 Nov 2007, 14:40   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

The way I play now - have a good core of heavy firepower and a fast attack being able to pin and destroy anything that opposes the fire base. The boyz then dash in to sweep up the remnants.

The only real change is going to be those forced - no bassie, changed battlewagon (for the better) and no grotz.

But the boyz will be put into trukks anyways - making my army dead fast and still be able to kick out the firepower.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2007, 17:18   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Gokbait

I was a big fan of the Bad Moons.* With the new codex, my decision to go against the grain and play shooty Orks is even more vindicated!

How I typically play is I put the majority of my points into a solid but slow-to-advance shooting base that I go out of my way to protect; force fields, grots, and kanz, that sort of thing.* With this center of power, I advance towards whatever is my main objective (usually moving into a position to gun the enemy down ASAP).

Flanking this main unit are usually 2-3 fast moving support units (typically including the Warboss HQ + his mob).* This includes Nobz/Boyz in trucks, Stormboyz, Wartraks w/ Skorchas or Rokkits, or Bikers.* I use these fast units coming up the sides of my main force as a scalpel, coming in fast (and usually with the benefit of line of sight blocking cover) and tying up my opponents most dangerous assets, so that my main force can attack mostly unmolested.

It has, so far, worked very well for me.* I tend to only lose to my friend who plays chaos, because he exploits my biggest weaknesses as a strategist (I deploy poorly in comparion to my level of skill) and makes very good use of blast weapons.* That... and he tends to deploy Obliterators in hard to reach places with good line of sight, such as on top of a building.* Due to this, learned to love Storm Boyz.
Old 09 Nov 2007, 17:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nothing wrong with a shooty Ork army. Might not shoot straight but cheaper by the dozen. At one time in the 2nd edition I found my pistol boyz getting shot to hell. In the end I gave Orcs more shooty weopons. It made a difference. I did not mention that boyz mobz would form half the army and deploy quickly whilst having a strong firebase even if only to divert shooting.

Old 11 Nov 2007, 23:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I tend to fight fast armies such as Elder and Tau. I see my fight in 2 phases. Vehicle crunching and infantry stompin.

Infantry hidden away in floaters, protected by heavier floaters whizzing about. First I've got to stop the heavy floaters and then hit the infantry. Thus TB in a looted V armed with a grabbin claw moving towards the floaters.

When I flush out the infantry quickly move out the boyz on Trukks.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 00:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Right now my boyz are almost exclusively foot bound and mob happy. I run about 70 figures for a 1250 point list 70/30 Orks and Ferals (allied). In that list, there's a Battlewagon and a Squiggoth (both still under construction) and it's currently 7-0. Of course, my selection of opponents is rather limited. But this list does do fairly well.

In the current game, I'm running all of my Orks against 2,000+ points of Imperial Fists (just for the heck of it) in a heavily urban game. Unbelievable, the Orks might pull it off (if they do, I'm writing a battle report).

So here's my style of play: strong mobz of slugga boyz which swarm the enemy at their strongest points (because they never expect that). I use the battlewagon to deliver a mob of boyz and my boss to their strongest cc unit and try to overwhelm their lines early on (by turn 2-3). Then I get the rest of my boyz stuck in and hope for the best.

Needless to say, with such an oversimplified strategy (though it will evolve with more figures and the new dex) I'm a bit worried about my taktikkz with the new codex release. Slugga boyz are insanely good right now...nerfing them may make me actually have to...gulp...think.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2007, 03:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You could probably do that thing where you duck behind a rock on the way there. And maybe shoot one or two rounds first.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 12:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungard
You could probably do that thing where you duck behind a rock on the way there. And maybe shoot one or two rounds first.
are you a marine?
Old 15 Nov 2007, 20:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quick question for the wife. Grots, why are they now "useless?" We're still getting some since, honestly, it's just un-Orky to have an Ork Waaagh without some Grots in it but I'm curious as to how the tactics are going to change with them.

Even if they don't provide a cover save for Boyz behind them are they still cheap and easy to mass? If so why not use them up front still if only to force a Leadership test (for target priority) and to tie up the squad for a turn? Even if it's only one turn that could be enough in order to make it easier for foot-sloggers behind them to get into combat, right?

Just curious is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote