Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Since the new Codex is coming...
Old 03 Nov 2007, 18:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Since the new Codex is coming...

I don't have any Orks yet, but I want to get to into them.

However, since the new Codex is coming out, what should I get?

What is possible to get? Anything getting scrapped / turned into worthless junk?
I'm asking this because I can't find the leaked PDF :P

Obviously I could buy Boys. Boys are fine.

Also, I'm thinking about having a Flag Obsessed Klan.

So, could I take the Warboss from WFB Orcs and Goblins, build the one with the flag, and then strap some shootas on his back or something?
Old 03 Nov 2007, 20:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Since the new Codex is coming...

Hey, Jormungard, good to have you to the Green Horde!

First of all, thought it looks as though you gonna want to go Freebooters, I'd suggest checking out the Ork Klan rules. They are located on the Ork page on the UK website. Just scroll all the way down to the bottom.

Quote:
However, since the new Codex is coming out, what should I get?
Everything?

Seriously, though, it seems as though you've made a good choice in joining Orks. The new models are great.

It really depends on how you want to shape your army and what other armies you will be playing. Do you want lots of fast, hard hitting vehicles? Or is the route of a foot slogging assault army more for you? Or maybe even a firebase army. There are no limits on what you can do with your Ork army.

Currently, the Ork models that I know that are going to be coming out are as follows
  • Mek Boy/ Grot Oilier
  • Mad Dok/ Grot Orderly
  • Lootaz
  • Tankbustaz
  • New Boyz spruces that include 'evay weaponry and a Nob
  • Warbikerz
  • Trukk
  • And, of course, the Codex

Quote:
What is possible to get? Anything getting scrapped / turned into worthless junk?
For one, Choppaz aren't as powerful as they used to be. The "Only 4+ armor saves are allowed against models with choppaz" rule is going to be scrapped. I'm sure that there are others out there (try a search) but I'm not aware of them as I have been unable to find that darned PDF file aswell >.

Quote:
So, could I take the Warboss from WFB Orcs and Goblins, build the one with the flag, and then strap some shootas on his back or something?
We Orks always have the need to convert, so I'm sure that I'd be fine, just as long as you convert him enough to look like he belongs in the battlefields of the future instead of the past.

Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2007, 20:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have a dream, that some day my Orks shall line up in an orderly fashion, march up to their opponent's faces, until you can see that thingy that hangs down from the back of the mouth, and then shoot them.
Old 03 Nov 2007, 20:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

That thingy is called a uvula =)

I have a similar dream, actually. Disciplined Orks is quite a cool idea.

Well, fairly disciplined. Not as disciplined as Marines or even Guard. But... more focussed, shall we say.

Like Fantasy's Black Orcs.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2007, 20:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
I have a similar dream, actually. Disciplined Orks is quite a cool idea.
No its not! Heretic! Orks are not meant to be Disciplined. That is for the 'umies and panzees. That is what makes us different in this universe. The beer drink, the smoking, and mindless barfights, that is what a real Ork is meant to be! Waaagh!
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2007, 20:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I know, drunk, smoking, barfighting Orkses is more properererer. An' iz betta if we can't spell propurlee. Makes uz look 'arder.

On a serious note, I'm tempted to actually start an Ork army when the new list comes out - a Speed Freeks army entirely on trukks. My Warboss shall be called Klarkzun.

I seriously hope people get that...
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 03 Nov 2007, 21:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Klarksun...

Klarksun...

Clarkson? Clerk Sun?

Clarks On?

Walmart! Nice. ^-^

Faith No More's description makes me think of Irish people.
Old 03 Nov 2007, 21:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungard
Klarksun...

Klarksun...

Clarkson? Clerk Sun?

Clarks On?

Walmart! Nice. ^-^

Faith No More's description makes me think of Irish people.
Give them ginger hair =D

I'm not sure whether you get it and are just doing that to be silly, or just plain don't get it... I reckon English people should get it instantly.

You may call me Circus.
Old 04 Nov 2007, 01:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

A boxed set of Slugga Boyz has been and will continue to be a good start. Both the Ork Horde army and Speed Freaks should continue to be a good option and Slugga Boyz can easily be used as Trukboyz as well.

There appears to be a pair of new guns that Ork Battlewagons and Big Gun vehicles can carry that will give some short range umph to the Orks. Both the Boomgun and the Killkannon are rumored to use large Ord templates at 36.0" and 24.0" respectively. Short ranged, but effective.

Best Regards,
Old 04 Nov 2007, 15:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Word of warning: DON'T DO KLANZ. I've got the leaked PDF (shhh!) and I can say for certain that the Klanz are dead and buried for good.

If you're dreaming of dsiciplined Orks, you may want to consider Stormboyz. According to the fluff presented in the new Codex, Stormboyz are outcasts among Orky society because of their love of discipline. They're always doing humie military stuff like drills and parades and whatnot and the other Boyz love watching them get blown up by their own rokkit paks. They're wicked powerful in-game, too... with potentially 30" of movement including assault and Waaagh!