Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork physiology
Old 31 Oct 2007, 22:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Ork physiology

Perhaps this has been discussed before - and if it has, I apologize in advance. But we know that Orks are supposedly a plant-like species distantly related to fungi. That has gotten me thinking.

Cell Walls
The main difference between plants and animals occurs on a cellular level. Plants possess cell walls which add rigitiy and strength to the plants. Do Orks possess cell walls? If so, this could explain their extraordinary resiliance. Also, most fungi have chitin in their cell walls (the same chemical found in crab shells). Imagine a cellular structure made of cell walls of chitin. This could further explain the hardiness of Orks.

Food Production
This should be fairly obvious, but I didn't think of it until recently. Orks have green skin - suggesting that they may utilize chlorophyll for photosynthesis. From my limited research, it seems that plants which are carnivorous seem to be more efficient than animals which are carnivorous. Thus, a combination of photosynthesis and a carnivorous diet could combine to make an Ork warband very versitile when it comes to logistics. With a supply of water, CO2 and glucose (and some sunlight) Orks could survive with very little actual food.

Neurology
While Orks seem to have a nervous system of some sorts (a brain, spinal cord, etc), they may not have a proper brain. That could be very advantageous as brains require an immense amount of carbohydrates and energy. The lack of a formal brain (or nerves) could enable Orks to fight for days at a time with no sleep or rest. Also, the lack of proper nerve endings would also prevent the Ork from feeling pain in the same way that animals do.

I may add more as it comes to me or as I research more. However, any comments and additional information would be welcome.

Thanks,
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 01:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Ork physiology

I'm exceptionally bored so I'll just be a smart EXPLETIVE!

If you're too lazy to read the stuff just read bolded EXPLETIVE. Keepin' it simpers for dee oomies.

KONS

@Cell Walls

Everything has cell membranes. Everything. Except Necrons.

I just don't..... If they had cell walls then how would they move? They would be completely rigid (Unless their vacuoles were devoid of water, but then they would be supa thirstay, and their bodies would wilt, and what the heck would that look like? Deflating Orks... Eew.)

Additionally, since you've determined that they have cell walls, that means that they don't have blood! And yet they have a Blood Axe clan? What the?

Plants use xylem as "vessels", but they only hold water and sugar-water (Called phloem with sugar-water), and if its anything else, then they transfer cell to cell through plasmodesmata. Even if the Orks had all that stuff, it would be clear blood. BORING.

@Food Production

Chlorophyll pigment is basically a Magnesium atom with some EXPLETIVE around it. Maybe Ork skin pigment just has Magnesium in it. Simple, ja?

"Carnivorous" Plants such as the Venus Fly-Twap use their victims for nutrition, not energy.
They get vitamins and necessary elements (Drink your god damn milk, kids!) from them, but they don't get sugar. You're saying that meat lovin' Orkses don't need meats? Yew musta bee jokin'!

However, a combonation of photosynthesis and carnivorous diet.... Talk about overkill, but hey, I guess that would work. It's got to be unhealthy to have THAT much energy and sugar...

@Neurology

What? Nervous System with no Brain? That's.. that's... that's like a train going down the railroad, but nothing's on the train and since there's no nerve endings, they don't stop. Hello waste of energy.

The point of a neuron is to send information quickly along the body. So you're saying that while the body is having a nice little discussion, it's getting shot at and it doesn't know that, and then when it does know it takes 2 minutes to pull a trigger?

No thanks.

PWOS

@Cell Walls

Makes sense. They are pretty tough! Fungi are flexible (to some degree) but have you ever whacked at some of the bigger ones with a stick? The STICK freaking breaks. Yow.

Since fungi's basic units are strands, called Hyphae, which are basically many cells sharing one membrane in a line, I can see how you could have some sort of hyphae-muscle mechanism.

@Food Production

As said before, photosynthesis is a fairly easy way to get energy, thus leaving more time for Orkses to fight some oomies some more! And when there aren't no more oomies to fight we kin eat meat to get more energies.

Nice. Except uh.... Oxygen? How they get that?

@Neurology

Feeling no pain is a great advantage. Those pesky instincts to grab the wound (to stop the blood flow and allow thrombocytes to more easily create a scab and/or close the wound) won't have to stop Orkses from shooting or smashing. I mean, if they're fungi/plant based, then strands would be widely available, thus resulting in quick and easy regeneration.

Also, if there's no brain, so what if the top part of an Ork's head blows off? It can still fight, damn it! Who needs smarties? Not me!

End Rant of Extreme Boredom

Old 01 Nov 2007, 01:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I thought this is a very well informal thread, chill he's a mod.

I really agree with the nuerology part, it explains practicly everything about orks.
Old 01 Nov 2007, 02:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

So, just for the sake of being difficult, I'll continue this conversation from the soapbox of ignorance. Note that I just caught my mistake in the first post under "cell walls" which has been corrected. Tx.

Cell Walls
1) The presence of cell walls in an organism does not predispose that organism to any level of rigidity. Indeed, many plants and plant fibers are incredibly flexible while simultaneously displaying durability. Note that products like paper and hemp are the product of cell walls.

2) Ork "blood" is probably unlike human blood anyway. Human blood is iron based and the product of a decidedly fauna-based development. Orks, however, spore and grow in a fungal cocoon. It is unlikely that such an origin would at some point magically become an entirely different organism. More likely, the fungal placenta would feed the developing Orkoid sucrose through a very phloem-esque liquid. The Orkoid's "blood" would be of similar make to allow for proper and efficient nutrient absorption.

The argument about the Blood Axes is simply superficial based on the concept that the blood on the axes would hopefully be that of the Orks' pansy enemies and not the Orks themselves.

Food Production
1) Nowhere did I say that carnivorous plants eat meat for "energy". I simply stated that their process of rendering meat into energy was more efficient than that of carnivorous animals. Either way it is splitting hairs. Since Orks obviously possess no roots - how do they absorb sucrose and minerals needed to produce energy? The obvious answer is carnivorous photosynthesis. Too much energy? I think not. Consider that many carnivorous plants utilize a combination of photosynthesis and predatory consumption. It is not unlikely that a mobile Orkoid who is busy fighting most of its life and (apparently) continually in a state of reproduction would expend quite a bit of energy.

2) Oxygen? I'm sorry, but I fail to see where Oxygen enters the equation on any level. Photosynthesis is the combination of CO2, H2O, sucrose and minerals. Oxygen is only necessary as a component of other chemicals in the process. How do they get it? Simple - they breath - just like plants breath. Obviously an Ork could not exist on a planet without the necessary gases to support life. However, they would probably survive longer in hostile environments as they wouldn't need to breath like a proper fauna.

Neurology
1) Many creatures have nervous systems of sorts with no brains. Box jellyfish have an optical nervous system with no brain. Many invertebrates have no central brain. It is not uncommon in the animal world. However, since the presumption is that Orkoids are plants - we must assume that a central nervous system as we know it is out of the question. Instead, flora "organs" may communicate in a central location but without a proper method of rational. This is very hard to imagine. However, it would explain the possibility of "grafting" ork bodyparts with ease or even the process of Orky intelligence seeming to increase as their numbers increase.

2) A Venus flytrap has no brain. Tell all of the bugs that get eaten by it that it is too slow. Carnivorous plants regularly "outsmart" their prey...and speedily too. There is a carnivorous water plant (whose name escapes me at the moment) which literally "inhales" water to suck its prey up. The reaction is almost instant. Many "primitive" sea animals without brains react quickly to threats or prey. Lack of a central nervous system does not equate slow reaction times. In fact, they may lead to quicker times. Because the message does not need to travel to a central location to process, the cells in the fingers can immediately begin to pull the trigger without "consulting" the brain.

Cheers,
Em

PS Sneaky Git - I'm not a mod.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 16:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Git Nurgling Lover
chill he's a mod.
as well as him not being a mod, why chill just for a mod? mods are like janitors, janitors with lead pipes, and prizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 19:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
2) Oxygen? I'm sorry, but I fail to see where Oxygen enters the equation on any level. Photosynthesis is the combination of CO2, H2O, sucrose and minerals. Oxygen is only necessary as a component of other chemicals in the process. How do they get it? Simple - they breath - just like plants breath. Obviously an Ork could not exist on a planet without the necessary gases to support life. However, they would probably survive longer in hostile environments as they wouldn't need to breath like a proper fauna.
Photosynthesis makes a really basic sugar. And it's CO2 + H2O -> Sucrose.

How do you make energy with sugar? With a bunch of cycles and annoying to explain stuff, such as the Krebs Cycle or the Electron Transport Chain. The purpose of these thingies is to make ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate). This is the energy unit. How much ATP you have is how much work you can do.

Without the Krebs Cycle, you can't do the Electron Transport Chain. The Krebs Cycle NEEDS OXYGEN. Yay, no ATP.

How to solve it? There's a little thingy at the beginning of the whole process that makes very little ATP. It also uses oxygen, however you can use various compounds but you will get a negative byproduct. This is how alcohol is made, or in humans lactic acid. This is an anaerobic way of producing ATP, however it is extremely inefficient.

Perhaps the Orkses have some cool ass byproduct that makes them greener.

Or since they are very different from us, perhaps they use a different form of energy or whatever.

End Rant Of Boredom

Old 01 Nov 2007, 19:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Fungi is neither animal or plant and, as such I, thought fungi was unique cause it is plant like but has no cell walls?

The fungi solution to the Orc race was to show why they can produce such numbers, saves having females and explains why they continue to create boyz without the need for outer planet supplies.
Old 01 Nov 2007, 20:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Fungi have cell walls.

It's not very planty at all.

Edit : Animals are more closely related to fungi than plants are.
Old 01 Nov 2007, 20:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

And for those that dont know there was for a time a suggestion Orcs were genetically created as an army for the brain boyz. Thats why Mekboyz have a some weird technology despite not understanding it.