Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Flying Speed Freeks?!
Old 23 Oct 2007, 16:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Flying Speed Freeks?!

Im really sorry if this is in the wrong forum but here goes...

Ive been thinking of starting a speed freeks army for a while now and ive come up with some fluff i like to go with them.
I thought that as all orks are obsessed with speed and noise (SF especially so) that they would eventually reach the point where an entire warband's cravings cannont be satisfied with land-based vehicles alone...>

So thats when big mek [insert orky name here] popped into my head, complete with his life-long obbsesion with flying and how this rubbs off on his boyz. He finally got a chance to realise his dream with the capture of a thunderhawk from my SMs. In their delight the idiots smashed the thing up before they realised how useful it could be to them. The meks tried to rebuild it but eventually (as was bound to happen) ended up with a huge half-hovering, half-lurching orky monstrosity that only remotely resembled a thunderhawk. This will serve as my battle wagon, being home to most of my boyz and encouraging the rest to (via the use of all kinds off salvaged engines) turn their trukks and buggies into flying machines too. Thus the ThundaBoyz were born.

My warboss is a bit of a has-been that thinks he's in charge but isnt really. none of the boyz want to tell him that though. In reality, the big mek is the most important and revered ork i the warband, even though he doesnt really have a clue how his contraptions get off the ground.

I was planning to base most of the theme and conversions around the orks capturing a vehicle and making it bigga, betta, and more orky in general!
For example, one of my trukks could be a devilfish with most of the top sawn off, a large platform attached to hold the boyz, random grots and gun all over and a shark-style tail at the back (see what ive done there? ).

Rules wise they would just count as normal trukks and things, as the orks creations are so terrible that they wouold probably spend most of their time dragging along the floor anyway! As for why they cant fly over things like skimmers, can you imagine an ork passing up the opportunity to smash into some puny humies with a forty-tonne piece of ork engineering?

I was also planning to give all the pilots burna boy heads as they have funny goggles on!(like they had in ww1 and stuff). 8)

So, what do you guys think?
Tomathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 16:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Flying Speed Freeks?!

well, Speed Freeks can take Bommaz, Raidz, and deth koptas, all of which fly.

The Devilfish idea is good, and you could do that for a falcon aswell.

and the Trukk drivers have the 'Funny' goggles.

Great ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Tomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 00:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomathus
I thought that as all orks are obsessed with speed and noise (SF especially so) that they would eventually reach the point where an entire warband's cravings cannont be satisfied with land-based vehicles alone...>
Actually, that does happen on a regular basis in every Orky society. It's how you get Flyboyz who pilot the Fighta-Bommaz and spaceships.

I like your idea, but to make it fit in better with the background material you could specify that your Big Mek is a member of the Flyboyz Kult, and that he and his Boyz are constantly trying to build the fastest, shiniest Fightas, though most of them never manage to make it off the ground. A Thunderhawk is far too big to be a Battlewagon - make it a Battlefortress instead.

Use the Speed Freeks list and take lots of Deth Koptas and a Fighta-Bomma raid to represent their fixation on flying. Hell, if you wanted, you could even throw in a couple of actual Fighta-Bommaz, seeing how they've got rules in Apocalypse and all...
Old 24 Oct 2007, 04:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like your idea a lot. Its always nice to see someone using their imagination to construct their armies, instead of making a cookie cutter army. Have you thought about using Dark Eldar Raiders for Trukks? I think done in an Orky fashion, they could look cool. I'm picturing the skiffs from Return of the Jedi. Be sure to post pictures.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 07:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sounds like a great idea!

I agree that the Thunderhawk i probably too big for a battlke wagon, a Devilfish would be more appropriate as battle wagon.

Although I, personally, like Scoutfox` ideaof the skiffs, as well.

Good luck with this, just be sure to post pictures
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 10:21   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks guys!

This project might have to wait until my Mech Eldar are done (I'm a bit obsessed with flying tanks :P), but I thought that it wouldn't really be very hard to scratch-build a fighta-bomma >.

The thing is I really wanted to make vehicles that at least half the squad could actually ride on, is this required anyway or would it just make them too big?

The thunderhawk idea is that it wouldn't actually be anywhere near that big, just sort of the same shape with lots of deck to out the orks on and loads of grots hanging off (maybe night goblin fanatics :)
Old 24 Oct 2007, 11:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't think there is a rule about how many models the transport has to phisically carry. I made my Trukks able to carry at least a dozen models, because I don't like the way the GW Trukks are so small. It makes them much larger targets, and harder to hide, but they look cooler.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 13:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

*shrug* Me, I also make my own Trukkz but they barely carry 3 models. I prefer small ones because they're easier to hide and opponents tend to forget about them until it's too late. Nobody's complained about them so far so hey.
Old 04 Nov 2007, 14:02   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks again guys, I was just looking at the online store and they have a pitiful amount of engines that would be suitable for the tanks. I have a few ideas but I was wondering if any of you lot could help me out a bit. So far I've got: devilfish engines roped to the sides, land speeder jets, and possibly stormboy rokkitpacks. Also can anyone imagine how a deathroller could be represented on a flying model, i was thinking spikes and chains hanging down but imagine how often that would break!

Cheers, Tomathus
Old 04 Nov 2007, 15:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

How about a great big crushing hydraulic thing mounted on the underside of your flyer? Think how the T-800 was destroyed in the first Terminator movie. (Could be funny if you're fighting 'crons and you crush them saying, "You'z terminated, muthazogga.") Or a great big spiked wreckin' ball on a chain...